Camera case for Canon 70D + Sigma 150-600mm + spare DSLR

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
AFC

Camera case for Canon 70D + Sigma 150-600mm + spare DSLR

Post by AFC »

I am currently looking for a new camera case as my old one is slowly breaking, and my other one is too small for my new lens
Any suggestions for a case that will hold a sigma 150-600mm contemporary lens attached to a Canon 70D, plus a Canon 600D spare body and a wide angle lens. Preferably cheap(under £50), and I'd prefer an over the shoulder bag, however I realise this might not be possible, so a back pack case is fine.

I've had a look on Amazon, but most of the cases are either too expensive or too small.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,
James

f4phixeruk

Re: Camera case for Canon 70D + Sigma 150-600mm + spare DSLR

Post by f4phixeruk »

I've got this one on order [coming tomorrow via prime] will let you know how the sigma lens fits, whilst attached to the 500D

YuHan Oxford Large Capacity Multi-function Waterproof Anti-shock SLR/ DSLR Gadget Camera Bag Professional Gear Photography Travel Backpack Rucksack with Inner Padding and Extra Rain Cover for Canon Nikon Sony Nikon Olympus Samsung Black + Yellow
by YUHAN
If you eat high calorie foods with a Diet Coke, the drink cancels the calories out!

f4phixeruk

Post by f4phixeruk »

500D with Sigma lens fits in the bag. Have also got the 150-300usm lens in the bag, and Olympus e310 with 75mm lens fitted. doesnt feel to heavy on both shoulder straps. Will be taking it to East Fortune on the 23rd, so we'll see how I get on. BTW this is the first trip for the 150-600 too.
If you eat high calorie foods with a Diet Coke, the drink cancels the calories out!

AFC

Post by AFC »

Thanks, just ordered that bag for myself.

Good luck with the 150-600, takes a while to get used to its size, but its a beautiful lens.
My first airshow with it (Shuttleworth military pageant) was the most fun I've ever had shooting at an airshow (excluding Duxford naughty fields and RIAT last weekend) :rock:
Just a quick tip, if you're using it at the full 600mm make sure you're aperture is f/8 or smaller (larger f number, smaller aperture?), thats what I do with my lens anyway and it is pin sharp.
If you have the time use that lens as much as possible before the show to get used to panning and tracking with it etc.

f4phixeruk

Post by f4phixeruk »

Thanks for the advice. Sadly working all week, so looks like sore arms/shoulders, and a load of 'bother' shots :-D

AFC

Post by AFC »

I look forward to seeing your shots

f4phixeruk

Post by f4phixeruk »

Well I took the bag to East Fortune, and was a little bit wary when putting it onto my shoulders to leave the train I heard what sounded like stitching breaking. However upon inspection whilst waiting for the train from Edinburgh, nothing was seen to be damaged.

Filling the bag was an experience. Dont think it is really suitable for the 150mm - 600mm, AND much else. Was a tight squeeze when I put the Olympus in, and all the various spares in the bag. Was pretty comfortable to walk round the show grounds and easy enough to take on and off.
As for photos. Less said the better. Should have really cleaned the sensor before going out. Dust spots every where :sad: :sad:

Would still recommend the bag for the price

AFC

Post by AFC »

150-600 fits perfectly even with the lens hood still on whilst attached to my 70D
Managed to fit in my 600D (with battery grip attached) as well, along with two other lenses plus teleconverter.
Still room for my laptop and batteries etc.
The bag feels much stronger than my old camera case did.
Also it seems quite well waterproofed (not that I want to test that with all my cameras inside).

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm happy with it so far

As for your photos, they aren't bad. Looking at the exif, they are some weird settings used, could be part of your problem?
Shooting at f/29 will lead to dust spots appearing from the lens, and shooting at such low speeds with that lens probably isn't advisable.
Also ISO 800 is a tad high for the old 500D which wouldn't help with sharpness or noise performance at all.

CMS

Post by CMS »

AFC wrote:150-600 fits perfectly even with the lens hood still on whilst attached to my 70D
Managed to fit in my 600D (with battery grip attached) as well, along with two other lenses plus teleconverter.
Also it seems quite well waterproofed (not that I want to test that with all my cameras inside).

As for your photos, they aren't bad. Looking at the exif, they are some weird settings used, could be part of your problem?
Shooting at f/29 will lead to dust spots appearing from the lens, and shooting at such low speeds with that lens probably isn't advisable.
Also ISO 800 is a tad high for the old 500D which wouldn't help with sharpness or noise performance at all.

Sorry to be so ignorant, but how do you get to see the exif data for the photo?

AFC

Post by AFC »

CMS wrote:
AFC wrote:150-600 fits perfectly even with the lens hood still on whilst attached to my 70D

Sorry to be so ignorant, but how do you get to see the exif data for the photo?

I use google chrome and have installed an exif viewer extension.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/exif-viewer/nafpfdcmppffipmhcpkbplhkoiekndck?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog thats the one that I use

CMS

Post by CMS »

Thanks for that tip, really useful.

Chris

f4phixeruk

Post by f4phixeruk »

Cheers for the hints and tips. As Isaid first time outing with the beast. Hopefully things will improve with practice. :-)