Micro 4/3s Cameras

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Mooshie1956

Micro 4/3s Cameras

Post by Mooshie1956 »

I'm thinking of getting one of these, but never having one before film and DSLR, I'm wondering what are the best for around £500. I've looked at the Panasonic G7 which looks good and does 4k Video. I can't see if it has IS or not built in so would I need lenses with IS built in.
Which leads on to lenses, are the cheaper ones any good like the Panasonic 100-300 for just under £400.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

jingernut

Re: Micro 4/3s Cameras

Post by jingernut »

This chap uses a Panasonic GX80

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=73747

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

Mooshie1956 wrote:I'm thinking of getting one of these, but never having one before film and DSLR, I'm wondering what are the best for around £500. I've looked at the Panasonic G7 which looks good and does 4k Video. I can't see if it has IS or not built in so would I need lenses with IS built in.
Which leads on to lenses, are the cheaper ones any good like the Panasonic 100-300 for just under £400.

Panasonic G7 is DSLR-sized - so it's comfortable, with plenty of controls. Nice camera, but it doesn't have in-body stabilisation, and for certain lenses and shutter speeds it might suffer from "shutter-shock".

Best for £500 in my opinion is the new Panasonic GX80 (GX85) - I bought one myself, having previously tried the GX8 and Olympus E-M5 II. It's high performance, and chock full of goodies. There is the Olympus E-M10 II in that price range as well, but personally I favour the Panasonic. Read some reviews to get an idea if either would suit you.

Regarding stabilisation, GX80 has very good 5-axis in-body stabilisation (IBIS), so it does not tie you to just Panasonic lenses. However, it's perhaps not quite as good as the best Olympus IBIS... so there is still a small incentive to use Panasonic lenses with that body, in the form of "dual-IS" which combines in-lens and in-body stabilisation when using most Panasonic lenses. Panasonic lenses also enable "DFD" autofocussing, which is extremely fast and confident.

You mentioned 4K video - if that's of interest to you, the GX80 offers the full dual-IS (5-axis IBIS + in lens IS), and electronic IS on top of that as well, when recording 4K. No other camera offers that.

Another key feature of the GX80 is its new electomagnetically-driven shutter. It's very quiet (important for me), and also eliminates "shutter shock" at source (rather than trying to work around it, like Olympus models... or ignoring it altogether like older Panasonic models). I expect all future Panasonic m43 cameras will have this shutter mechanism - and personally I wouldn't buy one without it now. So if the GX80 is not "right" for you, I'd wait for a successor to the G7 or something. (Actually, that's exactly what I'm doing - I bought the GX80 for indoor figure skating competitions where I need something very compact and quiet... and I'm only using it at airshows temporarily, until Panasonic makes something shaped more like the G7, GX8 or GH4... but with that new shutter, and preferably weather resistant as well)

As for the Panasonic 100-300 lens (200-600mm equivalent)... I don't have that myself, but it seems to be respected well enough. I've seen plenty of outstanding real-world results from people using it. Browse through the dpreview micro four thirds forum, you'll probably find good examples.

Hope that helps.
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

I have a G7 and a GX7. I love my G7. I don't want a GX80 because it follows the same form as the GX7 and I much prefer the G7.
I've used a 100-300 for a few years but I've just replaced it with the much more expensive 100-400 which is awesome. IMHO the set up holds up fine against the normal Canikon APSC user but it isn't going to match a FF a with a £5000 bazooka. The 100-300 is fine but needs some nurturing and understanding, excellent value for money
Some pictures below just from the last two weeks and if you want see my vast repertoire https://picasaweb.google.com/115423645123114525430
The last shot uses 4Kphoto mode
Any questions feel free to contact me.

Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Thanks for the replies guys, I was kind of hoping that you 2 would answer. I've already had a peek at your photos Tankbuster and obviously what Hatstand has put up on here and I must say I've been impressed with them. I'll have a good read on the dpreview forums and then I'll see what happens from there.
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Just to let you know after doing some more research I went for the GX80, video isn't important but I do like to take the odd video clip, anyway eventually got one today. A lot of online retailers seem to be out of stock for the one I wanted (12-32 lens). Got one from Jessops in Manchester, I forgot all about them. Got free Hahnel battery off them as well. Now all I need to do is work out all the knobs and dials on it. :smile: and claim my £50 cashback.
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Mooshie1956 wrote:Just to let you know after doing some more research I went for the GX80, video isn't important but I do like to take the odd video clip, anyway eventually got one today. A lot of online retailers seem to be out of stock for the one I wanted (12-32 lens). Got one from Jessops in Manchester, I forgot all about them. Got free Hahnel battery off them as well. Now all I need to do is work out all the knobs and dials on it. :smile: and claim my £50 cashback.

welcome to the club. They are a bit overwhelming in what they can do. My advice set learn how to use and set up the quick menu and how to customise the buttons. Don't worry if you don't get it right first time, you are just building familiarity so that when you are a bit more experienced you can customise it without having to look up how to do it. One thing with the GX80 is you will appreciate the weight reduction.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics