Nikon d500

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
AlexC

Nikon d500

Post by AlexC »

Anyone got a d500 yet? Interest rates on savings are so poor at the moment, and no there's no sign of that improving, quite the opposite in fact. I'm sorely tempted!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: Nikon d500

Post by Skyflash »

I have one, and it's an absolute beast.

If you are an existing D300 user, then it's a real no-brainer... get a 500. Per earlier comments I have made on here, it feels like it's been built to withstand nuclear attack, it's noiseless at about ISO 1,500 and when paired with Nikon's new 200-500mm lens (which was clearly built with the 500 in mind) then you have a formidable coupling.

One wee word of warning: if you already know your way around a Nikon DSLR then you'll be fine, but anyone approaching one new might be a tad baffled by all the features.

It's done two shows with me already - Leeuwarden and RIAT - sample pics available here (NB: some of these were shot on my D7000, but the vast bulk are with the 500):

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=73898

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=73257
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Thanks. I am a D300s user.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

I've recently upgraded from D300s to D500 ...... was it worth it? Absolutely, yes! (Used so far at Yeovilton and RIAT)

AF is blisteringly fast and accurate, up to ISO 1600 is virtually noise-free and acceptable to ISO 3200

Only downside is that it's hi-lighted the shortcomings in my current aviation lens (Sigma 150-500mm), which I can now see gets progressively softer from 400mm upwards; so I'm now faced with the additional expense of upgrading my lens, too.

Something to be aware of - I've read reports that battery charge can be depleted unexpectedly quickly, however I made 2,300 exposures at Yeovilton (got a bit snap-happy with my new toy ... and 10 fps with a huge buffer can easily run away with you) and still had 20% charge remaining - the trick is to ensure that the camera is set to 'airplane mode' (which is NOT the default), otherwise it'll be constantly trying to establish a wi-fi/bluetooth connection, which will rapidly run down the battery.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

trebleone wrote:Something to be aware of - I've read reports that battery charge can be depleted unexpectedly quickly, however I made 2,300 exposures at Yeovilton (got a bit snap-happy with my new toy ... and 10 fps with a huge buffer can easily run away with you) and still had 20% charge remaining - the trick is to ensure that the camera is set to 'airplane mode' (which is NOT the default), otherwise it'll be constantly trying to establish a wi-fi/bluetooth connection, which will rapidly run down the battery.

It's got an 'airplane mode'?!

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

AlexC wrote:It's got an 'airplane mode'?!

Just like your mobile phone I would guess.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

trebleone wrote:Something to be aware of - I've read reports that battery charge can be depleted unexpectedly quickly, however I made 2,300 exposures at Yeovilton (got a bit snap-happy with my new toy ... and 10 fps with a huge buffer can easily run away with you) and still had 20% charge remaining - the trick is to ensure that the camera is set to 'airplane mode' (which is NOT the default), otherwise it'll be constantly trying to establish a wi-fi/bluetooth connection, which will rapidly run down the battery.

Interesting... I have to admit that I have not yet come across this issue with my D500. As far as I am aware it has never attempted to connect to a wifi network, though admittedly that could be because I have had it in 'airplane mode' all along without realising!

Something else to be aware of - the bluetooth connectivity (to which Nikon gives the daft name 'SnapBridge') is, crazily, not yet ready for Apple devices although I believe it is up and running on Android. The app should be made available for Apple users sometime during August, although the fact that it's not yet ready for Apple has pissed me off royally as I was looking forward to being able to edit shots on my iPad when away at the events which I've already shot on the 500.

Wonderful camera though, these gripes are fairly minor.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

DerekF wrote:Just like your mobile phone I would guess.

Not like MY mobile phone believe me! It's only capable of phoning people, which is all I'm interested in!