Flickr settings.

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
GeorgeP

Flickr settings.

Post by GeorgeP »

G'day all,

I have been very impressed by the quality of the images posted on these forums so, whenever one is provided, I regularly click the link to a contributor's
Flickr site to view more of their excellent work. A useful set of information attached to the image is the EXIF that provides camera settings, focal length
and camera model.

Unfortunately, many contributors have not enabled this feature on their Flickr site and the information is not available to viewers. I can understand that
some people may prefer not to disclose this information, but I find it useful for a number of reasons :

1. If the camera and lens information is visible, I can decide on what equipment to take to a venue when I visit the same location at a future date.
2. Shutter speed, aperture and ISO settings allow me to improve my (poor) technique for prop aircraft so that props are blurred and not frozen.
3. If the camera has a GPS it shows the location.
4. It satisfies my curiosity. :smile:

I'd like to ask members to consider enabling this feature on their Flickr site for the education of fellow members. Thanks in advance to those who decide to
enable this feature. :up: If anyone is uncertain about how to do this, I have inserted a brief set of instructions below.

1. Find your Flickr settings for your account by clicking your avatar, next to the upload cloud on your Flickr page.
2. Select settings.
3. Click on the Privacy and Permissions tab.
4. Change the setting for "Hide your EXIF data? to "No".
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

AFC

Re: Flickr settings.

Post by AFC »

For blurred props, shoot TV mode (shutter priority), and set it to 1/320th or below. As for helicopters same again but between 1/80th and 1/160th, unless you feel comfortable shooting at a lower speed, in which case do so and try get a full rotor blur.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I've always included the EXIF information in my Flickr, I've never really understood why people would want to hide it, I'm sure there's a valid reason....

gralee

Post by gralee »

Hi my exif data is stripped during processing for the web. Maybe I can change it to include exif as I have no reason to hide it particularly.

I think it might have come from older times when there were smaller file size restrictions for online posting and stripping exif would have allowed slightly more image data

I too look for exif data on everyone else's images :)

wallace

Post by wallace »

There is an innocent explanation as the EXIF information is stripped off the image file when "Save for Web" is used. Me, I just use "Save As," which retains the information.

flashman8

Post by flashman8 »

To save the exif data in paintshop pro X2, I use save as.

then go to the options button, then tick the box for save exif info
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm