Battery help

Battery help

Postby Mooshie1956 on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 8:36 pm

I have the original Panasonic battery for my GX80 it says it's a 7.2v 1025mh 7.4Wh I also got a hahnel battery with it and this reads 7.2v 820mAh 5.9Wh. While initial use only gave me around 400 shots, but I had been going through the menu etc, checking pictures etc in camera, I was reasonably happy with it. today I used the hahnal battery I pretty sure it was charged after use last week end but I didn't even get 100 shots and it failed on me at a rather annoying time, Belavia World of Tanks colour scheme on take off.
Does anyone know from the above charge rates etc if the hahnel is not up to the standard of the Panasonic and I should ditch it. I will test it again at a park just to check it out.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens
Mooshie1956

Re: Battery help

Postby Slinger65 on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 9:00 pm

Hi,

The Wh (Watt-hours) measure is key - this shows the total energy the battery can store (equivalent to one thousandth of a domestic "unit" of electricity for comparison). So in theory the hahnel can store around 80% of the energy of the original Panasonic battery, and so should - in theory - give you around 80% of the number of shots in equivalent conditions (ambient temperature, use of flash etc etc). The lower mAh measure of the hahnel shows it can produce less power than the Panasonic - this could potentially be an issue for camera startup, flash use etc but probably not an issue most of the time.

However...

The charging characteristics of a battery degrade over time - so the more it's used, the less energy it stores. From experience (I also use Panasonic kit with other manufacturer spare batteries), the cheaper batteries degrade much more quickly and so store much less energy than their stated capacity. Eventually, all rechargeable batteries get to a point where they can store very little energy and so are best discarded. It's probably fair to assume the cheaper the battery, the sooner this happens.

Hope this helps!
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000
Slinger65

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 9:19 pm

Theoretically.....the Hahnel's lower capacity compared to the original means that it would take about 80% of the time taken to charge the Panasonic one ( assuming the same discharge state )
Don't know if they're the same batteries as the GX80 uses , but the aftermarket ones for my FZ200/330 ( DMW-BLC12 ) are much closer in capacity to the OEM ones ( 1200mAh/8.6Wh ) take about the same time to charge as the OEM ones.
If you were getting 400 shots & it's now dropped to 100 , I'd say there's something gone wrong somewhere.
Silly question , but presumably you tried the OEM battery afterwards just to confirm that it was the Hahnel battery at fault & not the actual camera playing up ?
Second silly question.....do both batteries share roughly the same usage , or do you tend to primarily use the OEM one & only use the Hahnel one occasionally ( or vice-versa ) ?

From the sounds of it , the Hahnel is going duff & is breaking down under load ( you may find that they work fine if the camera's just sitting there switched on ... they take the normal number of photos if you do so in a short space of time ... but they rapidly die a death if you take a few photos then either browse them or start fiddling with the menu settings then take more photos )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby tankbuster on Sun 14 Aug 2016, 12:07 am

Mooshie1956 wrote:I have the original Panasonic battery for my GX80 it says it's a 7.2v 1025mh 7.4Wh I also got a hahnel battery with it and this reads 7.2v 820mAh 5.9Wh. While initial use only gave me around 400 shots, but I had been going through the menu etc, checking pictures etc in camera, I was reasonably happy with it. today I used the hahnal battery I pretty sure it was charged after use last week end but I didn't even get 100 shots and it failed on me at a rather annoying time, Belavia World of Tanks colour scheme on take off.
Does anyone know from the above charge rates etc if the hahnel is not up to the standard of the Panasonic and I should ditch it. I will test it again at a park just to check it out.

Battery life is much discussed on DPReview. Shots taken is not much of an indicator for Micro 4/3s cameras. I have had 1000+from a battery and I've had less than a 100 from the same battery. Rather than shots, usage is dependent on time switched on. The metrics traditionally used by reviewers on DSLRS just don't seem to work for micro 4/3s and the reviewers need to wake up to the fact rather than just doing shot comparisons. Despite that you can expect less time from the lower rated Hahnel when compared to the Panasonic battery.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby Mooshie1956 on Sun 14 Aug 2016, 12:21 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, as the camera/batteries are less than 2 weeks old, I was more concerned that the hahnel wasn't up to the job. As Trevor say's I had a feeling it could be to do with time switched on rather than shots taken. It does make sense due to it having an electronic viewfinder that I presume will drain the power.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens
Mooshie1956

Postby vulcan558 on Mon 15 Aug 2016, 5:06 pm

Takes a good handful of charges to get new batteries up to thier best,
strange the voltage is not the same though.
vulcan558

Postby vulcan558 on Mon 15 Aug 2016, 5:06 pm

Takes a good handful of charges to get new batteries up to thier best,
strange the voltage is not the same though.
vulcan558

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 15 Aug 2016, 5:26 pm

Mooshie1956 wrote:....as the camera/batteries are less than 2 weeks old....

Possibly should've mentioned that in your OP , as the wording of that gives the impression you'd had the camera for some time ( or is it just me who thought that ? ) :wink:
That being the case .... as V588 says , run it through several 'full charge-->full discharge' cycles as new batteries never work to their optimum straight out of the box.
vulcan558 wrote:strange the voltage is not the same though.

Voltage is the same , ampage isn't.
Not uncommon with aftermarket batteries....some claim to be higher capacity than OEM , others lower.
As usual , some of the claims are extremely unlikely -- The OEM Canon SX710 battery ( NB-6L ) is 750mAh/2.78Wh , but I've got some aftermarket ones which claim to be 1600mAh !! ( Double the capacity but the same size....yeah , right ! :lol: )
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby vulcan558 on Mon 15 Aug 2016, 6:41 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:
Mooshie1956 wrote:....as the camera/batteries are less than 2 weeks old....

Possibly should've mentioned that in your OP , as the wording of that gives the impression you'd had the camera for some time ( or is it just me who thought that ? ) :wink:
That being the case .... as V588 says , run it through several 'full charge-->full discharge' cycles as new batteries never work to their optimum straight out of the box.
vulcan558 wrote:strange the voltage is not the same though.

Voltage is the same , ampage isn't.
Not uncommon with aftermarket batteries....some claim to be higher capacity than OEM , others lower.
As usual , some of the claims are extremely unlikely -- The OEM Canon SX710 battery ( NB-6L ) is 750mAh/2.78Wh , but I've got some aftermarket ones which claim to be 1600mAh !! ( Double the capacity but the same size....yeah , right ! :lol: )

My bad thought I seen it being 7.4 vlt ver 7.2.
not got my reading glasses on :clown: .
correct the higher the mAh/ value the longer it should last.
vulcan558

Return to Photography Hints, Tips & Questions