Photography At Gatwick

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Chris51

Photography At Gatwick

Post by Chris51 »

Will get a chance to visit Gatwick next week-1 morning and 1 afternoon,travelling by car. Would appreciate any advice on good places to get approach shots(including where to Park).I've done the usual Google search,and the view seems to be that the top of the car park is no longer usable(and it's South facing!).Found a recommendation for Fernhill Rd,but that is also south facing.Also found references to the Perimeter Rd near the terminal,bur wonder how security react tooth(and where to Park)

Trying to avoid wasting precious time searching the area,so any advice will be gratefully received

Thanks

Chris

Heyfordman

Re: Photography At Gatwick

Post by Heyfordman »

Chris
If they are normal ops ie wind from west and landing on 26, you are best off on the inner perimeter road. I park in James Watt Way which is about 10 mins walk away but about as close as you can get for free ! You can see all movements from here but it's only any use for landers in my view ( take care with the numerous lamp posts when panning !). You can shoot through the fence but there are further inner fences that prevent decent shots in the main and sun is against you.
It's possible to get lift off shots when on 26 by going to Charlwood Road and parking in the long lay-bys just after the now disused pub - can't recall the name but you can't miss the lay-bys - if you reach the Purple Parking site you've gone too far. Walk towards the end of the runway and pick your spot although you are a bit too far underneath the aircraft for some photographers liking - I find most departures acceptable personally but you may not.
If on 08 then Charlwood Road is ideal for landers and you can apparently get line ups through the fence at the crash gate but I've never tried myself.
Security / Police are no problem as long as you don't try to park anywhere else than above eg there is a lay by at the end of the runway at the 08 end and another at the crash gate, both of which will attract an almost immediate visit by them and you being moved on.
Good luck.
John

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

If yo want approach shots on easterlies go past the end of 09 away from the airport and past the museum. Turn left at the T-junction in the village, just past the playing fields turn left towards Ifield. After a mile or so there is some parking on the left and here you are just to the side of about 1 mile final.

Chris51

Post by Chris51 »

Thanks to both of you..looks like the wind for Friday and Saturday will mean 08 in use,so I'll try both locations

Will let you know howI got on,as it might help others

Thanks,Chris