Nikon 200-500mm VR on or off with fast jets

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
tmattias

Nikon 200-500mm VR on or off with fast jets

Post by tmattias »

I have only used my 200-500mm at a couple airshows and have always left the VR on during the whole time, even during fast jet actions with a shutter speed at 1/1250s. While finding time between seasons to sort through all the photos it feels as from time to time I get an unreasonable amount of unfocused photos. It's not really motion blur but rather the whole photo being of of focus. Is there anyone else who have experienced this?

Have anyone tried to turn the VR off during faster shutter speeds with the 200-500? In that case have you experienced and difference in image quality?

flashman8

Re: Nikon 200-500mm VR on or off with fast jets

Post by flashman8 »

Although I am not a Nikon user, but a Sony one, I always have `super steady shot` switched on in the camera body.

I find that my images are sharp when it comes to shooting air shows, not sure if this is because it is in camera as opposed to in lens...........

hopefully some one will tell you want you want to know
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

tmattias wrote:I have only used my 200-500mm at a couple airshows and have always left the VR on during the whole time, even during fast jet actions with a shutter speed at 1/1250s. While finding time between seasons to sort through all the photos it feels as from time to time I get an unreasonable amount of unfocused photos. It's not really motion blur but rather the whole photo being of of focus. Is there anyone else who have experienced this?

Have anyone tried to turn the VR off during faster shutter speeds with the 200-500? In that case have you experienced and difference in image quality?

I doubt very much that this has anything to do with the VR.

I also use the 200-500, and basically the VR is on all the time (and works much better than on any previous Nikon lens which I have owned).

If the whole picture is out of focus then you might want to look at the settings you're using on the camera itself.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

Sorry for late post on this. I've had a similar experience with my 200-500 on my D500, at both RIAT and Nellis this year.

I just put it down the lens having difficulty holding focus on fast moving objects that are designed to reflect radar signals and thus cause the VR not to latch on...and probably my poor technique.

or am I off beam here? (pun intended :-) )

Leon
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk

58Hustler

Post by 58Hustler »

Been taking photographs for over thirty five years and always managed to get sharp photos in the days before VR/VC/IS etc. existed.
Whenever using a VR lens I always switch it off as i'm convinced it degrades IQ.
Logic dictates that a stationary lens element will channel light better than one which is darting all over the place.
VR is useful for taking pictures of stationary subjects in low light when you've run out of native ISO or have shaky hands, aircraft in flight however I remain to be convinced.
P.S. the Nikon AF-S 24-120 VR is my default aerial/air to air lens and has three VR settings, one of which is 'active'. This, Nikon claims is for when you are photographing from a platform which is vibrating.I'm not sure whether it's relevant if your subject is stationary or not but guess what? I can't tell the difference so always have it set to OFF.
Regards Jay.

ImageChilton DW-1a by Jayson Cork, on Flickr
If a man speaks when he is alone in a forest and there are no women around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Black Mike

Post by Black Mike »

tmattias wrote:I have only used my 200-500mm at a couple airshows and have always left the VR on during the whole time, even during fast jet actions with a shutter speed at 1/1250s. While finding time between seasons to sort through all the photos it feels as from time to time I get an unreasonable amount of unfocused photos. It's not really motion blur but rather the whole photo being of of focus. Is there anyone else who have experienced this?

For slow moving and static certainly 100% on and on the whole very good results. For faster jets yes I have some out of focus and some motion blur.
As you will have noticed it does focus quite slowly compared to say the 80-400G so really fast movers might be an issue.
Don't forget that on a crop sensor it is essentially acting like a 750mm lens at full stretch so any motion disparity is exaggerated.
On the whole I love mine. For static subjects the VR is superb, I have good handheld shots at 500mm and 1/60th, I also have woefully blurry shots at high shutter speeds (operator error without a doubt!!!).
To be honest I've not really tried it with VR off but then again I've not needed to.

For a more relevant comment, please post a few examples of the ones you think are poor.