Travelling VS with Camera Gear

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
McG

Travelling VS with Camera Gear

Post by McG »

Anyone flown on Virgin Atlantic with camera gear before? How strict are they on the 10kgs hand luggage limit?

Paul_Reflex

Re: Travelling VS with Camera Gear

Post by Paul_Reflex »

I went with VA to Las Vegas last month and I thought it was more than 10KG. They did weigh my carry on bag at Gatwick. I don't remember how much it weighed but I had 4 lenses including a 150-600 and a 70-200, two bodies and a load of batteries and it was well under the limit.

Miramar

Post by Miramar »

Hi Mark,

Never had anything weighed.

Dave

McG

Post by McG »

Thanks for the replies.

Don't fancy having to put a 300 2.8 in checked baggage as I have to transit in US.

cw318is

Post by cw318is »

When you get to the bag drop tell them it's camera gear and they'll tag it, then you can carry on with no issues, regardless of weight. If you are upstairs on the 747 fleet it probably won't fit in the overhead lockers though so will have to go in the wardrobe.
DamienB wrote:Airshows aren't just about sunlit topsides chaps.

McG

Post by McG »

cw318is wrote:When you get to the bag drop tell them it's camera gear and they'll tag it, then you can carry on with no issues, regardless of weight. If you are upstairs on the 747 fleet it probably won't fit in the overhead lockers though so will have to go in the wardrobe.

Thanks, travelling on the 787-9.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Virgin did check my hand luggage once, but that was years ago. Flew Atlanta - Manchester with them this year with LowePro backpack heaving and they didn't look twice.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

This topic has been 'done to death' previously, however Virgin are one of the most enlightened carriers & their advice to me was to contact them ahead of the flight check-in to 'smooth the way'. That followed an animated stand-up row at check-in requiring a supervisor to re-educate the belligerent witch on the desk to allow me to carry-on my overweight bag.
I simply asked him to show me their Insurance Policy for dumping £10 grand of camera-gear on a unattended trolley in the public side of the Check-in hall. My own insurance Contract is clear that the Underwriters insist that I have a Duty of Care to take reasonable care of the insured items.....Doh! :facepalm: