The return of Kodachrome...............

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Miramar

The return of Kodachrome...............

Post by Miramar »

Brevet Cable

Re: The return of Kodachrome...............

Post by Brevet Cable »

It's not as if there isn't already a fair selection of other films on the market, what with the resurgence of 'old technology' in recent years.
I always preferred Fuji for colour & Ilford for B&W, only resorted to Kodak for IR film.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Nikon John

Post by Nikon John »

I think it`ll probably be a non-starter, but I`m probably in a long list of people who lament its passing greatly.

Yes it was very unforgiving of over or under exposure and yes it often came back scratched (thank you Kodak), but my goodness when you had good light it was a wonderful film and there wasn`t anything quite like it. Ektachrome, Fujichrome, pah! Anyone who cut their teeth on K25 and K64 would probably agree it influenced their learning of the photographic process immensley. You learnt by your mistakes, made sure you didn`t waste shots and tried to focus and expose as accurately as you could to extract every ounce of quality.

Todays "machine-gun", push-it, pull-it in the software generation would hate it. Far too much like hard work.

Of course Kodchrome has one other special quality, its longevity. Yes, it`s a devil to store properly and keep away from the dreaded mold, but it`s reknowned for its archival properties. Take a look at some of the Wartime "chromes" in the IWM archive, they just have a certain something and they`re still surviving. What`ll happen with all this stuff on your hard drive eventually? Thousands of shots all slightly different that`ll probably be forgotten. Taking one good shot with the old eye-brain combo still out weighs rattling off at 6 frames per second in the hope of catching your prey. That`s another thing "film" taught you, instinct.

Don`t get me wrong, I went digi` years ago and love it, but Kodachrome was something special and all the slide and collecting thing that went with it was another element of being an enthusiast that also largely dissapeared with Kodachrome. No wonder people are flogging all those old "chromes" on Ebay, people still want them.

Would I change back, probably not. I love my collection of "chromes" and I`m currently scanning them (yes, the irony of it eh?), but I doubt I`d change back. The lament I have I suppose is for the look it had and the excitement of opening that little yellow box.

If you think I`m alone in my lament then you only need to look at all the software out there that has a "Kodachrome" filter, but it`s not the same, oh no.
"All battles are fought by scared men who'd rather be some place else."

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Love the ol slides, found a box or 2 that contained some nice surprises the other day, I forgot about from the 80/90's. It's was certianly nice to handle a slide. Digital is much cheaper on the wallet though and thats the winner for me although I detest having to spend time editing photos. Thats the killer for me a now I don't really bother now with photographing airshows as most likely the same shot from an Airshow will be posted by someone else and it will probably be better!!
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

canon55k

Post by canon55k »

Oh Yes indeed sooner the better.
Canon 1DX,
Canon 5Dmk111
Canon EOS 1NRSx2
Canon EF70-200F2.8
Canon EF24 -105LF4
Canon EFIS 100-400 mk11
Canon 500mmf4

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Nobody could have loved Kodachrome more then me, I used it almost exclusively from the sixties right up to the end, and I've still got my two trusty Nikon FE bodies (never getting rid of them, real classic's!) but I can't see me ever using it again even if it does come back, too wedded to digital now. And anyway, I can't see it ever being financially viable again, and I dread the cost of postage now, it used to be one first class stamp and that was it.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP