Please help

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
kianelle

Please help

Post by kianelle »

Can anyone please give me some advice on some very frustrating problems in having with my camera? I’m still learning photography so any advice is great
Problem

I have a canon 600d and at air shows I use a sigma 50.500mm 1.4-6.3 APO lens .The problem I’m having is the lens cant seam to focus on moving aircraft it keeps focusing in and out and wont lock to give me a clear shot even if I do get it to focus is soon as I scan across the sky following the aircraft it struggles to focus. It’s not just this lens it the same with others I have tried. I keep on changing setting on camera like the AF mode and the metering mode but still it changes nothing the only way I get a shot is to stick the focus point on infinity but it’s not ideal .I recently went to the mac loop and after waiting all day in the freezing cold a typhoon appeared but as soon as I pointed camera at it the lens just could not focus on moving jet and all I got was blurred phots I’m so disappointed and really not enjoying photograph at mo. . So what’s going on? If it’s because I’m using a basic modal camera if so can anyone please recommend the next modals up that may sort this problem out I can’t afford the latest modals so I’m looking at the next upgrade that will solve my problem.
Thank you for your time

luke

Re: Please help

Post by luke »

I started out with a Canon 400d which I didn't have any of the problems you described with. Your's is newer so I can't see it being a limitation of the camera, more likely to be a settings issue, hardware fault or user error.
Do you get this issue if you put it in auto mode? What mode are you shooting and what AF settings have you used?

I can imagine how frustrating a day you must have had going to the loop and not being able to take anything useful.

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Have you read the instruction booklet? It recommends AI Servo AF for moving objects. Page 84 I think.

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

Thanks for replying .I have tried one shot . Al focus . Al servo . Iv done spot metering ,partial evaluative and center metering mode .
I have played with all settings . I usally shoot in tv at airshows but have tryed manual but still it won't focus . The lens is working really hard to focus but it won't lock on moving aircraft . Like said I have different zoom lens and it's still the same . The lens works great on slow or no moving objects but anything moving fast no chance. Some of the lens I use are not new so I'm wondering could
It be down to the speed of the moter in the lens .. yes the mac loop was a low point a lad next to me used his tesco bought mobil phone and had a hafe decent shot . If spent hundreds and got nothing :wall:

luke

Post by luke »

Before I went to air shows I went to a bridge overlooking a motorway and practised my panning shots for an hour or so. I was able to learn what worked and what didn't. Might be worth a try.

Alan425

Post by Alan425 »

Have you checked which focus point is set? If anything other than the centre one then your camera could be trying to focus on the sky rather than the aircraft.

Alan

Homer

Post by Homer »

Alan425 wrote:Have you checked which focus point is set? If anything other than the centre one then your camera could be trying to focus on the sky rather than the aircraft.

It could be this.

I have two 600D bodies which I have used with a variety of lenses and they have no problems tracking aircraft. However I will rarely use anything but a single focus point no matter what I am doing because it will often decide to focus on the wrong thing.

Single focus point, AI servo and you should be fine. If not then you may have a camera or lens fault.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

The single point focus could very well be your problem mate, I don't have a Canon but on my Nikon model its very easy to knock the autofocus point of focus off centre without realising and then whatever lens I use will continuously hunt until i knock it back to centre focus.