DronesForLess exceptional prices (Too good to be true?)

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Harvo266

DronesForLess exceptional prices (Too good to be true?)

Post by Harvo266 »

Hi all,
Next month i am hoping to upgrade my Nikon D7100 to the D500 accompanied with the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary. The website DronesForLess has both of these products for really good prices, and i wondered if anyone has used this company before. I believe it is a USA/Canada based company but has quick delivery time. £665 for a newish Sigma lens (150-600) seems too good to be true, so is it possible that it is a fake?? How would i tell it's fake?

Harvo
Nikon D500

Airshowguy1

Re: DronesForLess exceptional prices (Too good to be true?)

Post by Airshowguy1 »

Harvo266 wrote:Hi all,
Next month i am hoping to upgrade my Nikon D7100 to the D500 accompanied with the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary. The website DronesForLess has both of these products for really good prices, and i wondered if anyone has used this company before. I believe it is a USA/Canada based company but has quick delivery time. £665 for a newish Sigma lens (150-600) seems too good to be true, so is it possible that it is a fake?? How would i tell it's fake?

Harvo
I haven't used dronesforless before but they have extremely positive reviews on Trustpilot and a website called daviddrone.com did a review on them which was also positive. If you're willing to risk it for £140 then i'd say go for it but the lens may be a grey import or might not even turn up if it turns out they're not a legitimate website.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/airshowguy1/

Nikon D5200
18-55 kit lens
Tamron SP 70-300 Di Vc Usd
Sigma 150-500

Lighning Fan

Post by Lighning Fan »

Harvo266 wrote:Hi all,

Harvo

I haven't used the site either. However it is likely to be a grey import so you will need to factor in the import VAT 20%, which you will have to pay - I'm presuming that the goods will be shipped from outside the EU. I had a quick look at thier site and I couldn't find any contractual terms, which is always a bit of a worry

Additionally if it turns out to be a grey import you will need to send the lens back to them for any warranty work, which could prove expensive.

I think the usual caveat applies if a deal sounds just too good to be true then it probably is. I had a look on www.camerapricebuster.co.uk and current cheapest price for your lens is surprising at Jessops for £750. It's your cash but for a saving of £105 I think I would pay the extra and use a UK based retailer

DaveM

Post by DaveM »

This delightful policy from Sigma to guard against the grey importers is well worth a read... :biggrin:

https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/image/data/pdf/Going%20Grey%20-%20Leaflet%20-%20Low%20Res.pdf