Lens Length For RIAT?

Lens Length For RIAT?

Postby JensSr on Mon 13 Mar 2017, 3:06 pm

Hey guys,girls

This year its the first time I'm visiting RIAT and i was wondering if i should bring my 150-600 or 70-300
And if anyone has some tips for RIAT would be nice to know aswell!

Greetz Jens
JensSr

Re: Lens Lenght For RIAT

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Mon 13 Mar 2017, 3:15 pm

70-300 will be ok for stuff on the runway, but anything flying and you'll be better off with the 150-600.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
User avatar
LN Strike Eagle
Big Cheese Mk.II

Re: Lens Lenght For RIAT

Postby iainpeden on Mon 13 Mar 2017, 3:21 pm

A few of us try to meet up at the Wonderland Models stand - or similar central point - first thing on the Saturday (9 30ish) to put names to faces.
User avatar
iainpeden

Re: Lens Lenght For RIAT

Postby JensSr on Mon 13 Mar 2017, 3:46 pm

iainpeden wrote:A few of us try to meet up at the Wonderland Models stand - or similar central point - first thing on the Saturday (9 30ish) to put names to faces.

Only there on sunday and monday My bad i might be going to Duxford aswell though!
JensSr

Re: Lens Lenght For RIAT

Postby Harvo266 on Mon 13 Mar 2017, 5:00 pm

I use 150-500mm and don't tend to have any problems tbh
2017 Airshows:
Abingdon
Duxford
Torbay
Cosford
Weston
Yeovilton
RIAT
Eastbourne
Bournemouth
Sanicole

Southport

Nikon D500
Harvo266

Re: Lens Lenght For RIAT

Postby Canon on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 2:13 am

150-600mm for anything flying
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C
Canon

Re: Lens Length For RIAT?

Postby Stagger2 on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 4:14 pm

Both....because whichever one you don't bring you will need! If you don't have a second camera body, buy, beg or steal one before then?
Stagger2

Re: Lens Length For RIAT?

Postby JensSr on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 4:45 pm

Stagger2 wrote:Both....because whichever one you don't bring you will need! If you don't have a second camera body, buy, beg or steal one before then?


I have a d5300 might get the same one another time later this year!
JensSr

Re: Lens Lenght For RIAT

Postby Big Eric on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 6:07 pm

Canon wrote:150-600mm for anything flying


That just shows how far away aircraft in the flying display are now, crazy stuff. :dizzy:
Big Eric

Re: Lens Length For RIAT?

Postby ted633 on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 12:52 am

Just an aside, if you have have a crop sensor body, you may find that 150mm is not wide enough for formations / aerobatic teams.
2017 - Fly Navy, Military Pageant, Legends, RIAT, BHFoF, Dunsfold

http://www.flickr.com/photos/134836614@N02/albums
User avatar
ted633

Re: Lens Lenght For RIAT

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 11:34 am

Big Eric wrote:That just shows how far away aircraft in the flying display are now, crazy stuff. :dizzy:

Not really.......I had a look back at my stuff from 2006/7 when I was using a Canon 100-400, most of the closest stuff was taken at between 170-250mm & the 400mm end was often too short.

ted633 wrote:Just an aside, if you have have a crop sensor body, you may find that 150mm is not wide enough for formations / aerobatic teams.

Image
In some cases, 70mm isn't wide enough....some of the formations & larger aircraft I've taken photos of are down around the 50-55mm mark ( with some even wider )
Not to mention that even 70mm isn't wide enough for most stuff in the static park.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
User avatar
Brevet Cable

Re: Lens Length For RIAT?

Postby Airwolfhound on Wed 15 Mar 2017, 12:54 pm

I use my trusted 50-500mm for the whole stay and get a good variety of shots which I am always happy with :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Re: Lens Length For RIAT?

Postby ShutterPlane on Wed 03 May 2017, 2:59 pm

JensSr wrote:Hey guys,girls

This year its the first time I'm visiting RIAT and i was wondering if i should bring my 150-600 or 70-300
And if anyone has some tips for RIAT would be nice to know aswell!

Greetz Jens


Take both.
ShutterPlane


Return to Photography Hints, Tips & Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests