Lens Cleaning

Lens Cleaning

Postby Aviationcafe on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 12:15 pm

Hi,

Just after a bit of advice really, I've noticed over the past few months that I have had some sort of fungus grow on the inside of the Sigma 120-400 that I use.

The lens is usually kept once I get home on a desk with the front/rear caps attached, but it is also has been used in all weathers while photographing the football since I purchased it.

How would I go about cleaning the fungus/growth myself or is it worth taking it to somewhere like Wilkinson camera's to have cleaned?

Kind Regards

John
Aviationcafe

Re: Lens Cleaning

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 04 Jul 2017, 1:00 pm

Theoretically it's a DIY job, assuming it's only on the front element.
The reason I say theoretically is because it requires the removal of the front element to clean it.
How is the front element on the 100-400 attached ? Is it held in by several screws in the side of the body, or is it by a screw-in ring on the front of the lens ( the most common type ) ?
If the latter, it'll require a special tool - similar to a pair of vernier calipers - to unscrew it ( unless you feel lucky & use a long pair of pointy-nosed pliars ! )

There are plenty of youtube videos out there which will give you some idea of what's involved ( such as : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKcb4ctZk7w )
It all depends how confident you are about doing this & how much the lens is worth, or how much a replacement will cost.
Brevet.. Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Aviationcafe on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 8:20 am

Brevet Cable wrote:Theoretically it's a DIY job, assuming it's only on the front element.
The reason I say theoretically is because it requires the removal of the front element to clean it.
How is the front element on the 100-400 attached ? Is it held in by several screws in the side of the body, or is it by a screw-in ring on the front of the lens ( the most common type ) ?
If the latter, it'll require a special tool - similar to a pair of vernier calipers - to unscrew it ( unless you feel lucky & use a long pair of pointy-nosed pliars ! )

There are plenty of youtube videos out there which will give you some idea of what's involved ( such as : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKcb4ctZk7w )
It all depends how confident you are about doing this & how much the lens is worth, or how much a replacement will cost.

Hello,

Unfortunately it is on the rear element, close to the rear cap, I've cleaned the lens again this weekend, but I have decided to shell out for the Sigma 150-600 C lens as a replacement.

Main decision is that I'm unfortunately still going to be taking football photographs this year, and at the home games in extremely wet weather I can sit in the corner of a stand at the ground and capture everything from either side of the ground.

The 120-400 is going to probably be sent to stoke this week though before I stick it up for sale.

Edit.

Two photo's below are from the 120-400 after cleaning myself, both the front optics & rear optic has been cleaned, but there is still something on the interior optic:
Imageexample by John Rooney, on Flickr
Imageexample2 by John Rooney, on Flickr
Aviationcafe

Postby flashman8 on Sun 16 Jul 2017, 9:54 am

cant see any real problem with them, apart for the dust bunny on the last one, your sensor will need a little clean. :wink:
Sony A700, A550, A350, Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, 400, Sony 18-70, 50,Tamron 17-50,70-300,90mm
flashman8

Return to Photography Hints, Tips & Questions