Lightning Double Twilight Run

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Paul Fly-by

Lightning Double Twilight Run

Post by Paul Fly-by »

I have a ticket for this event is there any thing specific i need to photograph the lightnings i take it will require less tele range as it will be close and night will be fairly dark so for the statics i need wide and tripod for me so i can use hi rez on my olympus just wondering if i can get away with a 40-150mm f2.8 (80-300mm) fl in 35 terms 12-35mm f2.8 (24-70) 35mm fl terms ,will i need anything over 300mm or wider than 24mm ?

rob68

Re: Lightning Double Twilight Run

Post by rob68 »

Think you've got it covered. TBH 300MM at dusk is enough. You'll be walking on concrete and an uneven field if you go down for the run so boots help along with a head torch. If you've not been before get there early so can look at other airframes (if you are allowed) but be prepared for how the airframes are presented, it's not pretty.

Paul Fly-by

Post by Paul Fly-by »

Ok thanks boots you mean walking boots not wellies ,would be nice to get some airframe shots Historic/industrial looking statics yes i will pop a head torch in me bag also .

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

It's described on the flyer as an "Operational readiness platform" scramble. Is this event the real McCoy - light the blue touch paper and stand back? Or is it re-enactors running about in retro 1960's flying gear around the parked Lightnings?

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Roughcutter wrote:It's described on the flyer as an "Operational readiness platform" scramble. Is this event the real McCoy - light the blue touch paper and stand back? Or is it re-enactors running about in retro 1960's flying gear around the parked Lightnings?

Both I believe, based on past events. Serviceability permitting the two taxi-able Lightnings should be blasting down with burners lit :rock: followed by re-enactors posing around the trio parked outside and/or inside the Q-sheds.

This will be my first time at the night run event and I'm looking forward to it immensely!
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

In that case then I'm quite tempted :smile:

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Make sure you have ear defenders, as it can be painfully loud!

jonny7

Post by jonny7 »

The title of this sub section, on the forum, states "Air-Show" photos. Why is a photography help question here? :wink:
Don't say something crass, to hide your envy. Just give credit, when its applicable...

Paul Fly-by

Post by Paul Fly-by »

Because i wanted hints and tips for photographing in dark conditions and floodlight statics and was provided with some tips albeit clothing and safety but having the right equipment is not just lens camera options .

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

One of my favourite events of the year. Don't be afraid to use high ISO if you need. See the EXIF data on these for an idea, although this year they have switched ends which may have an impact on the light/silhouette-y shots

ImageLightning QRA Return by Harry Measures, on Flickr

ImageThe Best Kind of Fireworks by Harry Measures, on Flickr

ImageSunset Scrable by Harry Measures, on Flickr