Raw Therapee

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Mooshie1956

Raw Therapee

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Has anyone tried this piece of software as a freebie replacement for Lightroom. I've just downloaded it and a quick look at it, it seems a bit more complex than lightroom, but just using the basic of settings seems to give a pretty decent result.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

cg_341

Re: Raw Therapee

Post by cg_341 »

I used to use it on Windows and quite liked it. Somewhat different in layout to Lightroom, but once you get used to it, just as powerful.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

I've got RAW Therapee and it works but the interface is for me unnecessarily geeky, lots of things that you can do with it if you can be bothered or need some very subtle changes. I much prefer ACR which I use with PS elements and is a bit stripped down from the LR embedded version. PS Elements is a much better jpg editor than LR although it doesn't have the organizational stuff which pleases me. I normally wait until PS Elements is on sale and get it for around £45
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Lighning Fan

Post by Lighning Fan »

Agree with Tankbuster''s comments that it does do a lot but not the easiest to get to grips with. A lot depends on what you need if you just need a RAW converter then there are alternatives to LR. If you want to take advantage of its cataloguing fetures then it is a very good complete package. If you like LR but don't want to pay the monthly subscription you could alays see if anyone is selling the last disk available version. I think it was LR6 but I'm sure others will be able to confirm

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Yep Lightroom 6 is the last one that won't require a subscription.