Which Lens?

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
profile_M

Which Lens?

Post by profile_M »

Hi All

I currently have a Nikon D500 and am looking for a lens to upgrade from my recently sold 200-500.

I’m looking around the £2000 mark and for that I’m thinking either a second hand 200-400 f4 VR1 or a 300 f2.8 VR1 and maybe a tc to go with it for the extra reach. What are peoples thoughts and experience of these lenses?

I’m swaying towards the zoom for the flexibility but still undecided. Any help and advice greatfully recieved.

Cheers

Martyn

Mike Lewin

Re: Which Lens?

Post by Mike Lewin »

Hi Martyn,

I've never had any experience with the 300 prime, but have rented the 200-400 for a few RIAT and Farnborough trips. I must say the 200-400 was a fantastic lens and the image quality was spot on, no complaints at all. The only issue i had with it was the weight. If like me your panning skills go out of the window when fixing any lens to a monopod or tripod you will no doubt be using this free hand, it is totally possible but over the course of a show your wrists will know about it! and i found i was having to make adjustments on the shutter speeds to compensate for this. I'm a big believer in spending a bit of money and renting the lens that i'm looking to purchase for a day or two and getting out and about using it especially when you spending £,000's so would recommend doing that.
Little off topic, can i ask why you decided to sell your 200-500?

Regards
Mike

profile_M

Post by profile_M »

Mike Lewin wrote:Little off topic, can i ask why you decided to sell your 200-500?

Hi Mike,

Of course you can. I just needed some money and it was the off season and I knew I wanted to upgrade anyway so sold it. I had no issues with it, got some great results, I'm just looking for a step up in IQ and possibly AF speed is possible. There are some clean and tidy second hand 200-400's around so I am leaning that way at the moment although I used to have a 300 f4 and the results from that were so sharp I am still thinking about the 300 f2.8. Oh decisions decisions!

Martyn

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

If it were me, and I had the money, I'd go for the 300/2.8 plus a 1.4 converter. Having said that, I do have the money, but I don't see my wife letting me spend it on a 300/2.8, she has other priorities!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

profile_M

Post by profile_M »

AlexC wrote:If it were me, and I had the money, I'd go for the 300/2.8 plus a 1.4 converter. Having said that, I do have the money, but I don't see my wife letting me spend it on a 300/2.8, she has other priorities!

I'm torn between the super sharpness of a 300 2.8 and the flexibility the zoom gives. The Mrs has no choice, we're not married YET so whats mine is all mine :lol:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

profile_M wrote:The Mrs has no choice, we're not married YET so whats mine is all mine :lol:

Yes, I can see that being an advantage in this instance! :smile:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP