Nikon D500 Question

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Airshowhammer

Nikon D500 Question

Post by Airshowhammer »

So i'm looking at buying the Nikon D500 in the next couple weeks/months. What would you guys recommend as a really good lens for a beginner for airborne shots? Thanks. :smile:

Paul_Reflex

Re: Nikon D500 Question

Post by Paul_Reflex »

I'm a Canon user, but if I was starting out with a Nikon I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Nikon 200-500 f5.6 lens. I've seen sone great results from this combination, especially for the price.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Thank you for your response. I hired a 500mm last year and found it way too heavy. My limpy little arms couldn't handle :lol:

Was looking into this. Is this an ideal lens?

https://store.nikon.co.uk/nikkor-lenses ... DA/details

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

You're going to struggle for an "ideal" lens, but there are a great many good ones.

I haven't heard much about that in aviation circles, simply because it blows many people's budget out of the water! :grin:

I think with Nikkor at a certain price, you'll probably have decent quality, and that fits that camp.

You can completely reject the following - it's your dolla, and you can (should) do what you and you alone wish with it - but if you are a beginner, if I was you, I'd start off smaller, save the money and work my way up. The frustrating thing with (everything!) photography is that, a natural eye notwithstanding, you're not going to be Jamie Hunter or Katsuhiko Tokunaga from the get go. It takes a lot of practice, a lot of missed shots, a lot of rainy days, a lot of gut-wrenching "wrong settings" moments, and plenty of tear-your-hair-out-events. I'm not gonna say that that's part of the fun, but that's definitely part of the journey.

I bought a D7200 last January (chose that over the D500 because of the couple of £000 price difference), to work with my Sigma 150-600mm lens which you can get brand new for less than a grand. That combo provides me with oodles of length, it's pretty sharp, focus is ok (though sometimes can take a second longer than I'd like), and handles most conditions well. In that year I've taken it all over the UK, from roasting hot sunny days, to 3ft deep snow (and the photos I produce are of sufficient quality that the UKAR massive haven't booted me off staff yet, so must be working!). My point is that you can pay a lot of money for expensive equipment, but unless you put the time in and make mistakes, you won't see as much of a return on it as you could.

It's really great that you've got that much budget to play with, but always remember that you can have all the gear and no idea. I would suggest saving the money on a two and a half grand lens, and buy something a lot cheaper that'll sort you out, as I said, the Sigma 150-600mm is fine on quality for me, and is everything I need for aviation topics. There's no reason after a year or two once you've got to grips with how the camera works, and what your preference is and all that jazz, that you can't progress yourself and upgrade your kit (which is a wonderful feeling!).

So, it's much more important, to me, to learn the skill than spending a lot on a lens/body combo. Make mistakes. Have bad days. Cock up the settings. Balls the focusing. Forget to charge your batteries. All that bad stuff. That'll make you an immeasurably better photographer than starting out with expensive kit. Perfection is overrated.

Like I said, you can completely disregard what I say. And don't think by any means that I'm speaking from a position of having "finished" the journey. We never do. I'm speaking to my side, not from above as it were.

Overall, I think that lens and body combo will produce some outstanding images and you'll be very happy with it. :smile:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Airshowhammer wrote:Thank you for your response. I hired a 500mm last year and found it way too heavy. My limpy little arms couldn't handle :lol:

https://store.Nikon.co.uk/nikkor-lenses ... DA/details

A 500 prime? Yeah, that'll way a ton.

However, Nikon's 200-500 is light as a feather (relative to other lenses of similar focal length), and was designed to work specifically with the D500. Also, and again relative to other, similar lenses, it won't break the bank.

I've shot for a whole day with the 200-500 and my arms were not too weary by the end. And I'm not Charles Atlas either! :grin:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Wow, what a fantastic insight and will consider my options more wisely. Definitely agree though as to making mistakes, as the person who ‘hasn’t made a mistake hasn’t done anything new.’ Its all character building. I really appreciate the feedback. Thank you Tommy.

AH.

:clap:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Skyflash wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Thank you for your response. I hired a 500mm last year and found it way too heavy. My limpy little arms couldn't handle :lol:

A 500 prime? Yeah, that'll way a ton.

However, Nikon's 200-500 is light as a feather (relative to other lenses of similar focal length), and was designed to work specifically with the D500. Also, and again relative to other, similar lenses, it won't break the bank.

I've shot for a whole day with the 200-500 and my arms were not too weary by the end. And I'm not Charles Atlas either! :grin:

I shot with a Nikon AF-S 200-500mm at Duxford last year and gave up. It was ridiculously heavy. After a few shots i didn’t want to lift it up again so i switched to my trusted 30-120mm. Made the mistake of thinking i was David Bailey way to early :grin:

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

If weight really is a factor for you then you could look into one of the new Tamron or Sigma 100-400 lenses. By all accounts they are both excellent value for money.

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

Hi Airshowhammer

I currently have both the D500 and the 200-500 and, when I get things right, it's a brilliant combination. Yes, it's still heavy but I shoot most of the day at most shows I go to with little or no problems weight wise. I also think it performs just as well at f5.6 as any other aperture, which gives a lot of freedom on shutter speed.

I also tried a Tamron 150-600 and found it a bit soft at the long end. Nevertheless, I was going to buy one but then Nikon announced the 200-500 and that made my mind up :smile:

I've also got a D7200 but seldom put the long lens on it.

I had the Mk1 version of the 80-400 but that was a while ago and not on one of the more recent bodies. I found it difficult to get sharp, especially in less than perfect lighting but that might have been as much to do with the capabilities of the bodies (and me!) at that time. I can't speak for the newer version but it may well work better on a D500...

I've heard tell that the Nikon 28-300 VR is very good but again I have no direct experience.

Tommy's points are very relevant and to the point...

HTH

Leon
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk

verreli

Post by verreli »

You could try the Nikon 300mm PF with a 1.7x converter. I had this combination. It's light and produces good results. Having said that, I sold the 300mm PF and now have the Nikon 200-500. It is heavyish but manageable if you're not holding it up all the time. It can be shot wide open at f5.6 and produces tack sharp results. I'll be keeping it long term which is as good a recommendation as I can give.

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

I have a D500 - coupled with a Sigma 100-400mm is a great combination. The Sigma is compact and light - not much bigger than a 70-300mm and IQ is excellent, right through to the full 400mm extent. In comparison reviews I've seen, it equals the fabled Canon 100-400mm for sharpness, however the zoom action doesn't match the silky smoothness of the Canon.
At a tad under £700, it's excellent value IMO, for a lens that is sharp, with a versatile range and easy to carry around all day.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Why thanks guys. Taking it all in as now i’m weighing up my options and will try and save myself some money! I will let you know how i get on in terms of what i’ve purchased and i’ll hopefully post some of my shots in the ‘airshow photos’ forum. :smile:

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

For this price you could get the 200-500 f5.6 (which is a great lens, although as you say, quite heavy) AND a 70-200 f2.8 VRII which is an outstanding lens.

Weather Watcher

Post by Weather Watcher »

I use a Nikon D500 with the Nikon 200-500 lens - examples in my thread for the first Shuttleworth show in Airshow Photos (all pairs so was difficult to get both aircraft sharp). As for weight using a harness to support the weight of the camera on your shoulders rather than a neck strap I find makes a great difference.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

The Doctor wrote: a 70-200 f2.8 VRII which is an outstanding lens.

If it was me that's what I'd be getting plus a 1.4 converter, which would give an effective 420 at the long end with the D500.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

verreli

Post by verreli »

AlexC wrote:
The Doctor wrote: a 70-200 f2.8 VRII which is an outstanding lens.

If it was me that's what I'd be getting plus a 1.4 converter, which would give an effective 420 at the long end with the D500.

No it doesn't. It gives you a focal length of 280mm which is 56% of the resolution that the 200-500 is capable. That so many misunderstand the physics is staggering. I may as well say that if I crop my image down I can get an effective 3000mm or more.

The 70-200 is a nice lens though.

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Cropping removes pixels though, an fx lens on a dx body does actually provide a similar effect to zoom, putting more pixels on target thus granting higher resolution of the image. This was my understanding at least.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Will give your Photos a view Weather Watcher.

I have a lot to learn :grin: :dizzy:

Opinions on this lens?

https://www.jessops.com/p/nikon/af-p-70 ... gLnPfD_BwE

verreli

Post by verreli »

The Doctor wrote:Cropping removes pixels though, an fx lens on a dx body does actually provide a similar effect to zoom, putting more pixels on target thus granting higher resolution of the image. This was my understanding at least.

In many ways you are right. The important metric of digital photography is to put as many good quality, high snr pixels on the subject as possible. The pixel density or size of the sensor has no bearing on the focal length of the lens which merely projects an image onto the sensor, whatever size that is.

Take a 12Mp D300 and a 21Mp D500; have I changed the effective focal length of the lens? Those comparing fx and dx are essentially saying exactly that because you are putting more pixels on the subject.

Many people won't have used an old film camera and won't have that relationship between angle of view and focal length as a reference so my point is that to make the link is nonsense. Even if you did use 35mm film, as I did, for the last decade I've used a dx sensor camera so I relate the lens I put on the camera to what I see in the viewfinder by that current relationship. If I switched to an fx body I would change my reference point but it still wouldn't change to focal length of the lens.

As an example for the post above, I'm at an airshow where the subject (plane) is small in the viewfnder. You will get a worse picture with the 200mm+1.4x than a 420mm because there are less pixels on the subject. i.e. the statement being made is misleading. The poster who made it isn't unique, I see the same comment over and over on photography forums where they should know better.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Airshowhammer wrote:
Opinions on this lens?

https://www.jessops.com/p/Nikon/af-p-70 ... gLnPfD_BwE

If your aim is to get the best possible image, your balance between lens and camera may be tilted the wrong way. It is far more important to have good glass than a good body. If for example you bought a D7200, a very capable body, it would free up £650 for better glass which will retain its value over a longer period. Bottom line, it's your choice.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Well that was a proper slap on the wrist for me and no mistake gov! Perhaps I should have said 'in effect', would that have been any better?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

verreli

Post by verreli »

AlexC wrote:Well that was a proper slap on the wrist for me and no mistake gov! Perhaps I should have said 'in effect', would that have been any better?

Apologies if it came across that way. No offence meant. There's so much misinformation on the internet that sometimes it seems like facts are in the minority. I think all the posts in this thread are well meaning and simply trying to help the original poster with his question.

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Airshowhammer wrote:Will give your Photos a view Weather Watcher.

I have a lot to learn :grin: :dizzy:

Opinions on this lens?

https://www.jessops.com/p/Nikon/af-p-70 ... gLnPfD_BwE

Probably one of the best bang for buck lenses you can get for a Nikon, at least I'm my experience. I'm sure you could get some good used deals on one too.

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

verreli wrote:
The Doctor wrote:Cropping removes pixels though, an fx lens on a dx body does actually provide a similar effect to zoom, putting more pixels on target thus granting higher resolution of the image. This was my understanding at least.

Technical stuff

I am in no way any kind of expert, so thanks for the info.