Uniformity FINAL EDIT ADDED

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Weather Watcher

Uniformity FINAL EDIT ADDED

Post by Weather Watcher »

When you take a number of shots of the same aircraft at an airshow do you try to make the sky uniform in post processing or do you treat each image as an individual shot? If you try for a uniform sky how do you do it? The examples here are of the Lancaster at the first Old Warden show this year. I know that the sky is different in different directions and elevations but should I have tried to produce a more uniform set of images? Thanks for any opinions/advice.
[url]Image[/url]
Avro Lancaster (c)

[url]Image[/url]
Avro Lancaster (b)

[url]Image[/url]
Avro Lancaster (a)
Last edited by Weather Watcher on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sdad

Re: Uniformity

Post by sdad »

Instead of leaving it till later, why not only work with the piece of sky you like at the time of shooting? That is if you wish to pursue this line at all. How would you do it without advice from here?

Hammy

Post by Hammy »

I can understand your reasoning behind wanting a uniformity to the sky in your images, however, I can't help but think it might be an exercise in futility where you spend hours of your life in photoshop for very little reward...

Light is infinitely changeable and whilst similar, even images from a sequence panning with one aircraft on one pass will throw up variations in the colour of the sky. You're not just dealing with a single patch of sky here; you're dealing with the ever-changing position of the sun in relation to it, any potential cloud movement (both in the patch of sky you're photographing and around where the sun is), how your camera 'reads' the light and calculates exposures accordingly, and the aircraft you're photographing and how its shape/size (how far in/out you need to zoom) and colour scheme might also affect the camera's metering. The wider the field of view you pan through in order to photograph an aircraft increases the complexity of this.

Personally, I take each image as a single entity rather than part of a sequence and edit accordingly - so long as the aircraft's colours look accurate, I don't care how the sky looks.

Martin
Author, visionary, dreamweaver... Plus actor.

Planespotters.net gallery
mwneedham.com

Weather Watcher

sdad wrote:why not only work with the piece of sky you like at the time of shooting?

Because I want images of different aspects of the aircraft, which I can only get from different places in the sky.

Weather Watcher

Hammy wrote:I can understand your reasoning behind wanting a uniformity to the sky in your images, however, I can't help but think it might be an exercise in futility where you spend hours of your life in photoshop for very little reward...

Personally, I take each image as a single entity rather than part of a sequence and edit accordingly - so long as the aircraft's colours look accurate, I don't care how the sky looks.

Martin

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think I agree and normally I would treat each image as a seperate entity.
However in this case there were no clouds in the sky and looking at my images of the Lancaster in sequence or side by side feels wrong in some way.

jingernut

Post by jingernut »

Weather Watcher wrote:I know that the sky is different in different directions and elevations but should I have tried to produce a more uniform set of images?

Surely that is only a question you can answer? It's not something that there is a yes or no to answer that someone else can give you.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Hammy wrote:Personally, I take each image as a single entity rather than part of a sequence and edit accordingly - so long as the aircraft's colours look accurate, I don't care how the sky looks.

This is exactly it for me, especially the bit I have emboldened.

Weather Watcher

jingernut wrote:Surely that is only a question you can answer? It's not something that there is a yes or no to answer that someone else can give you.

I was looking for opinions - so far it seems that treating each image as an entity is the way to go.

Weather Watcher

cg_341 wrote:
Hammy wrote:Personally, I take each image as a single entity rather than part of a sequence and edit accordingly - so long as the aircraft's colours look accurate, I don't care how the sky looks.

This is exactly it for me, especially the bit I have emboldened.

I normally treat images this way (although colour accuracy is very difficult to judge after the event). It was just that in the examples I have posted above, it struck me that the skies were more different than I liked when viewing the images side by side. I wondered what others thought.

wallace

Post by wallace »

A manual white balance, a good colour profile and a consistent exposure, which is easier said than done.

There are so many variables you just have to do the best that you can.

I'd say that Lancaster B could benefit from a better white balance. There is a very strong blue colour cast in the deepest black, an RGB value of 20, 40, 65, make them equal and the picture isn't that bad

Weather Watcher

wallace wrote:A manual white balance, a good colour profile and a consistent exposure, which is easier said than done.

I'd say that Lancaster B could benefit from a better white balance. There is a very strong blue colour cast in the deepest black, an RGB value of 20, 40, 65, make them equal and the picture isn't that bad

You are absolutely right - the more you look the less you see. I'll have another look at that shot.
Thanks

Weather Watcher

I've removed the blue cast as suggested and think think the image looks a lot better. I did have to use masks and use different white balances in different parts of the photo, so with my processing skills (or lack of) it's not something I would consider doing often. Any comments would be welcome.
[url]Image[/url]
Lancaster (new edit)

Mooshie1956

Re: Uniformity NEW EDIT ADDED

Post by Mooshie1956 »

That looks a lot better :biggrin: . I'm like you though not an expert on editing, I just do the minimum possible.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

John_E

Post by John_E »

It looks on my phone as though there’s now a halo around the Lanc, the area immediately outside of the edges of it are brighter than the rest of the sky.

Weather Watcher

Mooshie1956 wrote:That looks a lot better :biggrin: . I'm like you though not an expert on editing, I just do the minimum possible.

Thanks

Weather Watcher

John_E wrote:It looks on my phone as though there’s now a halo around the Lanc, the area immediately outside of the edges of it are brighter than the rest of the sky.

Thanks for the comment - I agree :sad: it is more obvious on some screens than others. I've gone back and had a final attempt.
[url]Image[/url]
Lancaster (Final edit)

rockfordstone

Re: Uniformity FINAL EDIT ADDED

Post by rockfordstone »

this used to be one of my pet peeves, but in reality, different angles of shooting and different settings mean the sky will turn out different

these days i compare them side by side in light room and try to line them up but ultimately to me the subject is most important. It is infuriating i'll give you that