Mark on images

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Slinger65

Mark on images

Post by Slinger65 »

Hi,

I've recently noticed a mark appearing on my photos. It's visible only when there is a bland background - seascapes, sunsets, airshows :sad:

Looking back at my RAW files, it seems to have happened during a helicopter flight when I was shooting through an open window - so presumably the wind has blown something into the camera - maybe a hair or piece of dust - even though it's supposed to be a sealed unit. I've checked the lens surface for scratches and none visible. The mark is most visible on photos taken at high F-number, presumably because of increased DOF.

The camera is a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I'm after a bit of advice as to...

- what is it?
- is it repairable, and has anyone had similar issues / repairer they could recommend?

It can be cloned out, but is becoming a bit of a pain.

Would appreciate any help or advice - the image below shows the mark inside the yellow oval...

Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

Draken

Re: Mark on images

Post by Draken »

Looks like a hair or sth on your sensor, not lens. Not sure if the body of your camera is "openable", I guess you should take it to the service to clean the interior.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Luton Cameras do a sensor clean on sealed unit cameras such as your for about £30. We contacted them, sent it off and had it back in a couple of days.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

Thx both - if I can get it done locally (Midlands) for around that price I will give it a go. Although - if it is on the sensor - would the F-stop make any difference?
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Slinger65 wrote:thanks both - if I can get it done locally (Midlands) for around that price I will give it a go. Although - if it is on the sensor - would the F-stop make any difference?
Yes you will probably only see it when the lens is closed down which if you shoot manually is fine unless of course you want to shoot with a small aperture.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Homer

Post by Homer »

Slinger65 wrote:thanks both - if I can get it done locally (Midlands) for around that price I will give it a go. Although - if it is on the sensor - would the F-stop make any difference?

Yes.

The usual check for dust etc. on the sensor is to set the highest F number and take a shot of a plain background or the sky because that way the dust is more visible.