RIAT 2018 Memory Card Query

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
alpha586

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by alpha586 »

Airshowhammer wrote:As far as i'm aware, asking which SD card you need has nothing to do with RIAT. I'm going RIAT what sunglasses should i wear?

OK so relevant questions for the hard of thinking! Asking an innocent question about photography at RIAT is relevant to RIAT discussion. Nowhere on this forum does it limit the discussion to aircraft participation. As I stated above it is far more relevant than endless pages of arguments, childish squabbles, and barely amusing puns. Had it been a question about photography in general, then yes, direct the OP to the photography pages. It is much better to be nice and attempt an answer to the question than to just dismiss it as not relevant.
As for the sunglasses I personally prefer the Oakley half wire with polarising lenses gives great protection and cut out a lot of glare, some people find them a bit heavy so might want to opt for plastic frames, again just my opinion! :rock: :rock:
Last edited by alpha586 on Tue 12 Jun 2018, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

alpha586 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the RIAT 2018 discussion forum. This was a question about RIAT 2018 and is a darn sight more relevant than 90% of the last 100 or so pages of complete drivel! I have sent a pm with my answer, not because it's not relevant to post on here but because it's a question that needs a long and fairly exhaustive answer. I just think a little more tolerance and understanding from some on here would go a long way. Have a good one!

This is the RIAT 2018 discussion topic ( not forum )....however, it isn't the "what camera/memory card should I take to RIAT" topic, hence why I pointed out that this forum does - in fact - happen to have a specific Aviation Photography section which contains a sub-section titled 'Photography Hints, Tips & Questions -Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice' which is the appropriate section for discussing cameras/memory cards.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

This should belong in the Tips and Tricks sub-forum. I'm in the process of moving it all from the RIAT 2018 Discussion.

Please have care to post in the relevant sections, gents. It's a lot of work to try and sift/move.

And yes, there's a lot of overlap, but I think it's obvious on this one. And no, this isn't up for a discussion that will clog another 5 pages of anti-mod sentiment. No-one's posts are being deleted or edited. Just moved to the right place.

Further posts on this very specific issue, unless in the correct forum will be moved/deleted depending on how useful they are.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Woodster wrote:I have a Canon and if I shoot in JPEG on a 32GB card I can get roughly 3,500 images on that card. Compare this to RAW and I'll get around 850 images.
Depending on your camera you can set up in different imaging selections. Remember RAW files are bigger and can use up a lot of drive space if you don't post process them.

A 7D is something like 18MP, isn't it?
From memory of similar MP cameras, that would be something like 10-15mb per .jpeg // 30mb per .RAW, wouldn't it?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Jetnoise

Re: RIAT 2018 Memory Card Query

Post by Jetnoise »

Looking at my EOS7D shots from RIAT last year (I shoot large JPEG and RAW for each shot), the large JPEG files were between 3.5 and 4.7 Mb each and RAW were about 22Mb each.

Cheers,
Ralph
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Woodster wrote:I have a Canon and if I shoot in JPEG on a 32GB card I can get roughly 3,500 images on that card. Compare this to RAW and I'll get around 850 images.
Depending on your camera you can set up in different imaging selections. Remember RAW files are bigger and can use up a lot of drive space if you don't post process them.

A 7D is something like 18MP, isn't it?
From memory of similar MP cameras, that would be something like 10-15mb per .jpeg // 30mb per .RAW, wouldn't it?

Exactly, so where in Hell's name does this come from?

cg_341 wrote:Well a potato (a colloquial term for something of terrible quality) camera would allow you to take many thousands of photos on a small capacity card.

A Red Raven is an 8K camera, so 500-700MB per image/frame?

I'm not querying that it's accurate, but why so massive? Would the difference really, honestly, be noticeable? I'm not a photography expert (clearly... :grin: ) but this seems crazymad. :hypno: :dizzy:

Edit - actually, I might be. This is from 2015 (which is a long time in technology, I get that, but still)

"The 120-megapixel camera outputs RAW image files with a data size of 232MB, nearly four times as big as the 60.5MB RAW files shot by the 5DS." (from https://www.pcworld.com/article/2981493 ... amera.html)

Not 8K I know, but how many DSLR cameras are 120MP, even 3 years on from this article?
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Homer

Post by Homer »

Tmyers123 wrote:
jason82wells wrote:
Well I’ve got a 32GB and 2 4GBs so hoping that’s fine for one day with a Canon 7D.

Clearly you aren't in the pro photographer bracket so that will be plenty.

But another 32GB card will cost you about the same as a burger at RIAT (as long as you don't want cheese) so you may as well take along a spare.

rockfordstone

Re: RIAT 2018 Memory Card Query

Post by rockfordstone »

i went with 128gb in my main camera, 32 gb on my secondary with another 128gb or so on back up.

i shoot on DSLR with full res RAW images so the images are somewhere in the region of 20-30mb.

if you are shooting with basic settings then id expect it to be jpeg which can be about 4-10 mb a shot.

for the price of memory cards these days, i'd say get another 32gb. it will be cheaper than buying it on the day