Sigma Lens Hood Warning

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
rob68

Sigma Lens Hood Warning

Post by rob68 »

For any one with a Sigma lens with a screw that holds the lens hood on beware. Do not over tighten the screw, mine went last weekend , I contacted sigma, I had stripped the thread. It is not guaranteed. £45.75 to replace the nut mechanism. Ouch.

AlexC

Re: Sigma Lens Hood Warning

Post by AlexC »

I've got one of those. Thanks for the tip. :up:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I’ve also had the screw disassemble itself and I lost half the bits.

Grunt087

Post by Grunt087 »

I have the Sigma 150-600mm Sport and had the knob fall apart. I sent it in and they did replace it under warranty. The main problem I had was the lens would not auto focus when it was extended to 600mm. If you pull the lens back to 450mm or so it would start Auto Focusing. The Sigma Repair people said they could not get it to fail and sent it back. It did the same thing again as soon as I tried it on two different Canon Cameras when I got it back. I sent it in the second time and now they tell me that they cant get it to fail on the test rig or a Canon body. I am waiting to get it back. I had one other person said he had the same problem with a Nikon version of the lens. Any one else have the same problem?

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Sort of. Last year at the BTCC at Snetterton I spoke to a guy with the same lens, he said it was much better without a filter on. I tried to unscrew my filter which unscrewed the entire end of the lens!!! Sigma put it back together and including postage took less than a week which I Thought was good but I feel sigma are not as well put together as Nikon. Suppose you pay your money and take your choice

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

I had the same problem with the hood of my 150-600 Sports. I was fortunate not to lose the little pieces and bits. A drop of super glue on the screw fixed the issue up to now.

On the other hand, I had some jammed zoom ring issues during la Ferté this year, 10 days after expiration of the 2-year warranty :sad: .
I had it fixed by Sigma, at the expense of 400 EUR. Altough I did not remember knocking it in any way just before it happenned, I am considering buying some rubber protection.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

I've been told verbally so don't take this as gospel that if you purchased a Sigma lens from jessops you automatically get a 3 year warranty

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

Bad news : I recovered my Sigma 150-600 Sports lens after zoom repair, neatly packaged in plastic bags, but I just found out that the infamous hood screw was jammed. I am pretty sure that is was OK before :sad: .
I could return it, but I will not have it back before summer.
After searching on the Internet, I found that these M5 / 20mm nylon screws could do the trick : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-BLACK-Nylon-Plastic-M3-M4-M5-and-M6-Thumbscrews-Knurled-Slotted-Thumb-Screw/291883281676?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=590885337015&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649. Just ordered it.
=> I will keep you informed.