Back Button Focusing

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
jingernut

Back Button Focusing

Post by jingernut »

Does anyone here employ the back button focusing technique at all for airshow photography?

Not sure I see the benefit myself when tracking a moving subject... although I have not tried it.

Interested to know. Cheers

rockfordstone

Re: Back Button Focusing

Post by rockfordstone »

i do it. the main benefit is that it separates the shutter from the focus.

basically it prevents the camera attempting to refocus when you hit the shutter, which is handy if you don't have time to reacquire focus.

it's not for everyone, but i use it exclusively now

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

I try and play with it from time to time, usually if I’m panning an aircraft, but there’s a mast or some obstruction that throws the focus out. But tbh It’s a bit too much to juggle when i’m under pressure for that burner shot :oops:
IG profile "jakesplanes"

wallace

Post by wallace »

Back button focus is very good for static shots where I can focus and recompose using One Shot and use AI-servo for the moving stuff.
It will come with practice.

Like a previous comment, it is good for pre-focusing.

BBF is meant to stop the focus being distracted on panning shots, just take your finger off the button when a distraction comes into the viewfinder!

The only time that I switch off BBF is when I am flying and don't have the luxury of recomposing, then it's get it in the middle and crop!

58Hustler

Post by 58Hustler »

Tried it and can't adapt.Never had any issues using the 'normal' set up.
If a man speaks when he is alone in a forest and there are no women around to hear him, is he still wrong?

nbaker

Post by nbaker »

I first tried it about 3 years ago on my 80d and still using it now on my 7d mark II.

I found my keeper rate improved quite a lot.

Dragster

Post by Dragster »

Jakesplanes wrote:I try and play with it from time to time, usually if I’m panning an aircraft, but there’s a mast or some obstruction that throws the focus out. But tbh It’s a bit too much to juggle when i’m under pressure for that burner shot :oops:

That is totally me as well.... :lmao:

I have used it for ages and i do seem to get on with it. Its a bit odd not doing it now.

timuss

Post by timuss »

Yeah i tried it for the first time last year, and have stuck with it ever since it takes some getting used to but i have definatley got more consistent results with it.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Second nature to me now! Although recently I gave the camera for a short while to a family member so she could take some shots, but forgot to tell her about the back button focusing. Didn't end well. :oops:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

it does take some practice to get used to it but once you have used BBF for any action including airshows you will end up asking yourself why you've not done this before. I use it exclusively now.

stu_h
UKAR Supporter

Post by stu_h »

Sorry to ask what is probably a complete novice question but...
Could bbf help prevent .. "seeking"?

Thats my term for it (so probably wrong), but I found at the BoB show at Duxford that even though I'd framed a takeoff, in decent light (shooting from the tank bank) my 70-300 kept going out of focus for takeoff, even though a couple came sportingly close.
If I understand bbf right, having just read up on it, would it allow me to focus my shots apart from the shutter, thus meaning the lens is less likely to "seek"?

If I've mangled terminology completely, feel free to point it out. Still on step 1 of attempting to improve!

Berf

Post by Berf »

close - it is called hunting if you need to look it up more...

Tonka 617

Post by Tonka 617 »

stu_h wrote:
Tue 04 Jul 2023, 9:49 pm
Sorry to ask what is probably a complete novice question but...
Could bbf help prevent .. "seeking"?

Thats my term for it (so probably wrong), but I found at the BoB show at Duxford that even though I'd framed a takeoff, in decent light (shooting from the tank bank) my 70-300 kept going out of focus for takeoff, even though a couple came sportingly close.
If I understand bbf right, having just read up on it, would it allow me to focus my shots apart from the shutter, thus meaning the lens is less likely to "seek"?

If I've mangled terminology completely, feel free to point it out. Still on step 1 of attempting to improve!
Change the focus range on the lens, this helps also. Restricting how close the lens will focus, meaning less range for the AF system to go through.

stu_h
UKAR Supporter

Post by stu_h »

Thanks. Looks like I know what I'm reading up on this evening.

Tonka 617

Post by Tonka 617 »

stu_h wrote:
Wed 05 Jul 2023, 4:15 pm
You'll have a switch on the side of the lens, will have infinity and then something like 2.5m to infinity. Set it to the later, no need to have the lens focusing on anything closer. Will help focus quicker for you

Col. Chibani

Post by Col. Chibani »

Tonka 617 wrote:
Thu 06 Jul 2023, 10:17 am
stu_h wrote:
Wed 05 Jul 2023, 4:15 pm
You'll have a switch on the side of the lens, will have infinity and then something like 2.5m to infinity. Set it to the later, no need to have the lens focusing on anything closer. Will help focus quicker for you
[DARK HUMOR = ON]
Unless you want to catch the (last) shot of your lifetime ...
[DARK HUMOR = OFF]

helired3

Post by helired3 »

Just my personal preference but i have two different back button focus modes set up on my D500 one as a single spot mode and one as a group.
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_harrisuk/

Nikon D750
Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm pf
Nikon 300mm pf

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

I've been using back button focus for a few years, initially for bird photography, then for pretty-much everything.
helired3 wrote:
Thu 06 Jul 2023, 12:01 pm
Just my personal preference but i have two different back button focus modes set up on my D500 one as a single spot mode and one as a group.
Ditto. Centre (only) for statics, centre plus surrounding helpers for airborne subjects.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

helired3

Post by helired3 »

I have the AF-ON as single point and the joy stick just below as group takes a while to get used to but i wouldn't go back now

Nikon D750
Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm pf
Nikon 300mm pf

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

I'm in the camp of not using it. Despite trying it out, I had negligible difference; I also found the Canon bodies I used (90D, 5Div and 1DXii), had sufficient Digic progress processing power and speed to handle focus, metering and shutter release together via the single button, rather than attempting to adapt to combining 2. I do accept however, that it may not be for everyone.
Canon systems

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

reheat module wrote:
Sun 09 Jul 2023, 2:25 pm
I'm in the camp of not using it. Despite trying it out, I had negligible difference; I also found the Canon bodies I used (90D, 5Div and 1DXii), had sufficient Digic progress processing power and speed to handle focus, metering and shutter release together via the single button, rather than attempting to adapt to combining 2. I do accept however, that it may not be for everyone.
Its not about processing power and whether the camera can handle the tasks. Of course it can, any snapper knows that.

It is useful because the camera doesn't know what bit of the image you are interested in, it's not telepathic. It's about what happens when you have composed a photo and either let the half-press slip for a microsecond or still have it on when you shift the aim of the camera by a millimetre and lose the subject. Both are far more likely with moving subjects. BBF allows you to separate the acts of composition/aim and shutter release. Leaving metering with the shutter makes very little difference which is why its normally not separated out. But each to their own.

John

helired3

Post by helired3 »

So to clarify for those that struggle with how it works on a Nikon ( don't know about canon) you would set the focus mode to A-FC continuous focus the problem with this is with the normal Shutter release the camera needs to refocus in this mode unless you can keep the button half pressed. With back button you separate the two so you can keep the subject in the focus area while taking the shot with the release. In most cases the keeper rate will go up. Not for everyone as said but it's nothing to do with the prossesing power of the camera.

Nikon D750
Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm pf
Nikon 300mm pf

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

helired3 wrote:
Mon 10 Jul 2023, 6:50 am
So to clarify for those that struggle with how it works on a Nikon ( don't know about canon) you would set the focus mode to A-FC continuous focus the problem with this is with the normal Shutter release the camera needs to refocus in this mode unless you can keep the button half pressed. With back button you separate the two so you can keep the subject in the focus area while taking the shot with the release. In most cases the keeper rate will go up. Not for everyone as said but it's nothing to do with the prossesing power of the camera.

Yup, same way as on my canon.
I get 70-80% keepers, and my recent ones at Prestwick for the A-10's in the rain benefitted from back button focussing, allowing me to adjust the zoom and iso at pretty much the same time.
Got to love Russianhardware

alanp

Post by alanp »

I tried it for the first time recently, based on this thread. Since upgradding tp the 90D and 10-400 IS II, I'd never been happy with the results - a far higher rate of rejection and marginal quality, even on the keepers. I adapted quickly and the change in performance was immediate, giving me the results I had originally hoped the upgrade would provide. Still to try it in a more dynamic environment (airliners on approach are about as predicatable as you can get) but I'd certainly recommend giving it a whirl based on my experience.