Canon 100-400 usm I

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
telscossie

Canon 100-400 usm I

Post by telscossie »

Does anyone use the canon 100-400 L is usm , if so how do they find it for airshows

GeorgeP

Re: Canon 100-400 usm I

Post by GeorgeP »

I have used it for many years (greater than 10?) and have found it to be very user-friendly. I find it better than a fixed focal length lens because I can zoom in / out as the situation requires. My first camera was a Canon 40D which I still use as a back-up unit with a 17-40L, but now have the 100 - 400 mounted on a Canon 6d Mk.1. What is / are your concern(s) about its suitability for air show work?
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

telscossie

Post by telscossie »

i was just wondering how people got on with the push / pull zoom set up

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

telscossie wrote:i was just wondering how people got on with the push / pull zoom set up

Every tele-zoom that I have owned has been a push-pull, so I have never experienced any problems. My 17-40 is a twist-zoom and my wee brain is never confused when I change from 6D with 100-400 to 40D with 17-40. :smile:
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

tom tiger

Post by tom tiger »

I've used the Canon 100-400 L, IS USM, Mark 1, for years on airshows (since 2007) This year I retired it. It is getting on a bit. 3 reasons, dust in the elements, 2 stop IS and autofocus. Having said that, this lens was in production since 1998. It has served me for 10 years.... which is pretty good. And I kinda liked the push pull, allthough you do get more dust into the camera and the lens. If you are going to get one second hand, you will not be disappointed. But stay clear of the early ones up to 2005 cause they might have focus or IS issues. You can see when they were built by the serial number. (I think there is also a site for it). But bring your camera and test, test, test, test. Just to be sure you get a good one.

I retired my Mark 1 to get the Tamron 100-400mm VC Di Usd. Basicly the same as my Mark 1 but with faster autofocus (dual processor) Vc of 4 stops (claimed, in practice around 3 to 3.5 so not bad)
I was not disappointed. The Tamron is also lighter than the Mark 1 or the Mark 2. Image quality the same or higher than the Mark 1. Autofocus..... wow.... very very happy with that.
"You Live by the Code, You Die by the Code."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tomtiger/albums

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

I've had mine for 11 years and I always have it in my photo bag, it's a great lens, I really have nothing bad to say about it and the only problem I've had with the "push pull" is that it's not completely weather proof, and when you get moisture inside the lens the lens elements tend to fog up - it clears up again, but it's really annoying when it happens. I've only had it happen twice though, and both times were after being outside in heavy rain for most of the day. The mk 1 has servered me well, but I'm thinking of replacing it with the mk II which looks like it takes all the good things from the mk 1 and improves on it.

If you want to see some pictures taken with the mk 1 have a look at my Flickr (link in my signature).

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

I've used this lens since 2000, so 18 years and a lot of use! The push pull works fine, but the action tends to stiffen up,I've had mine repaired once in 18 years, so if buying second hand check for smoothness. Having said that, the repair -3 years ago- included a service and clean and was under £200, so not a game changer. I've had no focusing or stabiliser issues. I always keep it firmly on my Canon 7d body, very rarely swopping lens/body, so have had very little
in the way of dust issues, just a blow clean weekly or if required, body gets a DIY sensor clean once a year. Any failings I've had with this lens/body combination have been purely down to the photographer! As to weather ingress I've never had any issues, though I have only used it in shower conditions not
heavy rain. Snow, duststorms, minus 10c to plus 40c though, no probs! I've no intention of changing it soon either, and looking around at other aviation enthusiasts its still a very popular lens. Hope this info was of some use.