Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Lumix

Post by Lumix »

Excuse me for being thick, but can someone please explain how to make an Avatar? I've tried various times now and can't get the file size small enough (20KB) to upload without the quality being rubbish!

It's obviously not rocket science but I must be missing a trick somewhere along the line!

Cheers

Lumix

Re: Avatars

Post by Lumix »

Just discovered that if you use the 'Save for Web' function you get a file size below 20Kb!

Problem solved!

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I'm having similar problems, can't find the 'save for web' function etc. Could you just list the sequence of operations if you have time please?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

AlexC wrote:I'm having similar problems, can't find the 'save for web' function etc. Could you just list the sequence of operations if you have time please?

It's right underneath "save as" in Photoshop.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Thanks, but I've been trying the save for web function, and I still can't get the file size down small enough.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

APG

Post by APG »

Try saving the image as a GIF and not a JPEG

DaveM

Post by DaveM »

I found it was easy when using the actual pizel dimensions for the avatar (130x150) 'save for web' then got it down to about 12k.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

AlexC wrote:Thanks, but I've been trying the save for web function, and I still can't get the file size down small enough.

What picture are you trying to save? The save for web feature has a sliding scale for the quality you can save the image at (0-100), and gives you a file size in the bottom left hand corner. Adjust the scale until the size is below 20KB. As Dave says, you need to make sure it's at the correct dimensions first too.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Thanks chaps, I've cracked it!