BBMF Lancaster Nose Art

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
alans895

BBMF Lancaster Nose Art

Post by alans895 »

I was absolutely ecstatic to have finally had the chance to photograph the BBMF Lancaster at RIAT 2018 on my third visit to the UK. Unfortunately it was undergoing maintenance after the engine fire during my 2015 & 2016 trips.

I have been slowly processing some of the 30,000 images that I took over 7 days at RIAT. During the processing I almost 'Binned' many of my Lancaster shots because I thought they were not sharp enough. This opinion was mainly due to the fact the the 'nose art' featuring the kangaroo didn't look sharp and appeared out of focus. I thought that it may have been a DOF issue. I have since looked at many images from other photographers on FLIKR and it appears the same way on their images.

Would be interested to know if other photographers almost made the same error as myself.

Regards,

Alan

sdad

Re: BBMF Lancaster Nose Art

Post by sdad »

You haven't said whether it is a depth of field problem or not. What did you focus on and what did the other people focus on? I have nice sharp photos through the fence at Coningsby - in bright light and not necessarily of the whole plane.

rockfordstone

Re: BBMF Lancaster Nose Art

Post by rockfordstone »

it depends on your focus points and shutter speed as well.
if your panning isn't up to speed on a slow shutter, you will get blurred images.

also depends what lenses you are using, because some will be soft at the full extent of their range