Scanned slides.

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
lossiemouth

Scanned slides.

Post by lossiemouth »

Morning All,

I've been sent some scanned slides (although it is possible they are scans of photo's), and they seem to be showing their age. Many have white flecks on them, (that resembles a very light going over with a brillo!) Also many have splodges of a light brown hue. I have about a hundred of these, and wonder what the best way of trying to get these tarted up a bit.

I've nothing special to do it with, Photoshop Elements 10. Any help would be gratefully received.

:smile:

AlexC

Re: Scanned slides.

Post by AlexC »

Probably take some time, but I would have thought that you could do that with Elements, that's all I've got and I've managed to clean up scan's of family photos that are over 100 years old?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

lossiemouth

Post by lossiemouth »

I feared that time may be involved !! :grin:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

lossiemouth wrote:I feared that time may be involved !! :grin:

'If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well, you know it makes sense'!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

This might be obvious to many but once you have got rid of your flecks and blotches, especially if it does take forever, remember to save a full size of the cleaned up slide before you go any further. That way, if you then adjust anything else and save it, then decide later that you could have done a better job of it or want to crop it to a different size, you can start again from your saved original and not have to clean it up all over again.

Hope that makes sense.

lossiemouth

Post by lossiemouth »

MC hammer wrote:This might be obvious to many but once you have got rid of your flecks and blotches, especially if it does take forever, remember to save a full size of the cleaned up slide before you go any further. That way, if you then adjust anything else and save it, then decide later that you could have done a better job of it or want to crop it to a different size, you can start again from your saved original and not have to clean it up all over again.

Hope that makes sense.

It does indeed, thanks for the tip.

frank

Post by frank »

Save it as a TIFF file as a master copy not a JPEG. :smile:

lossiemouth

Post by lossiemouth »

frank wrote:Save it as a TIFF file as a master copy not a JPEG. :smile:

Thanks for the hint, can I ask why?

Black Mike

Post by Black Mike »

As I understand it, the TIFF is uncompressed. JPG is compressed and each time you save it, it gets further compressed so the quality keeps reducing.
Save as a TIFF and keep working on it. When complete you can do a "save as" to JPG if required.

My rather simplistic view (right or wrong).

Mike

frank

Post by frank »

Exactly so
Apologies for not replying but was on holiday