Changes to Flickr Accounts

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
spellow3010

Re: Changes to Flickr Accounts

Post by spellow3010 »

harkins wrote:I'm still quite frustrated by this.

Me too... Add to the list of annual/monthly subscriptions - I forgot about the bullying Microsoft and the £59.00 per year to have access to Office365.

'Every little helps...'
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Phil Standfield

Re: Changes to Flickr Accounts

Post by Phil Standfield »

harkins wrote:I'm still quite frustrated by this. As I said before, I understand and accept their reasoning as a business and as others have pointed out, you don't get very much for free. The trouble for me personally is, if your primary hobby/interest isn't photography and you've just enjoyed a way of sharing a modest number of photos with friends and family and for your own perusel, this move is disappointing as it means paying £50ish a year (and whatever that increases to as the years pass by) indefinitely for pretty limited usage. I don't and never did use or see it as a storage facility as that what my PC and hard drives are for (all those photos I took and didn't even bother editing). Unfortunately the 1000 free photos isn't very much despite sounding like a lot. Maybe they could have had more tiers of membership? 5000 photos and a couple of other restrictions for $10ish a year perhaps?

Anyway, it is what it is and good luck to Flikcr/Smugmug. I just hope they divert some of their new revenue into improving the site for their users, as whilst it was the best option available, it's also far from a great platform. In fact, if I could place different albums into sub-categories I might even have considered paying the subscription for a year to see how it goes. I'd always been niggled by not being able to keep the aviation, general and holiday photos in one place but well segregated. And what are those galleries? I've looked at the people I'm following and only one of them has created a gallery. And lots of people have got albums of wildlife, landscape, days out, airshows etc all mixed up. I'm sure I'm not completely alone in wishing I could have one account with sub-cats. And I imagine the more heavy Flickr users have got things they'd like to see added, removed or improved now they have this new business model.

Spot on. Since I have gone digital i have taken different subjects which i have on my normal Flickr site but i have been doing Sports photography lately and have a seperate Flickr account for just Sports pictures as most people who want to look at my Sports pictures dont want to search through albums of wildlife,Aviation,etc and vice versa. If i could have sub accounts like website galleries to put the different subjects into i would have no trouble paying for it but not going to pay 2 lots of subscription to have 2 accounts 1 for Sports & 1 for everything else. Thought Smugmug would start changing the set up as they are fee paid websites so could not see them giving 1TB away free for long.