External monitor

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
tache3
UKAR Supporter

External monitor

Post by tache3 »

Good morning all,

Having invested in a new lens recently (Tamron 150-600 G2) and requested PS Elements from Santa this year, I'm tentatively making the first steps into more ambitious shots and more complex editing. However, I think that the quality of the screen on my laptop is going to be a weak link. The specs of the machine itself seem to be OK (recently purchased Dell with plenty of processing power and RAM) however, the sharpness and quality of images generally leave a lot to be desired when viewing on it. The same ones are much clearer on the missus's Ipad and other devices.

I don't have the budget for a new laptop/desktop- or the space for the latter- but could possibly stretch to an external monitor to view/edit images when necessary. However, there are a ton of options and a mountain of options/reviews. Does anyone have any real world experience with external monitors and could perhaps advise? Budget would be around £200-250.

Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

cg_341

Re: External monitor

Post by cg_341 »

I wrote this some time ago and updated it last year, it's still very much relevant although the model numbers will have changed: https://www.threshold.aero/data-centre/ ... to-editing

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Avoid using a laptop screen where possible for photo editing, they're usually inferior to a proper monitor. If you're serious about photo editing then try and get a monitor with an IPS panel rather than a TN panel, as IPS panels produce a more accurate colour profile after calibration. Speaking of calibration, you should really look to get a device to colour calibrate your monitor, there are a number of options available.

I've always used Dell Ultrasharp monitors as they're usually well made and reasonably priced.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

jalfrezi wrote:Avoid using a laptop screen where possible for photo editing, they're usually inferior to a proper monitor.

Unless you buy a decent laptop ;)

wallace

Post by wallace »

I bought a 24" Dell U2412M a while back after reading the reviews. It's OK for about £150.

I'd endorse the comment about getting a colour calibrator, I use a Spyder 5. No point in getting a good monitor if you don't have it calibrated.

A number of the pros seem to use BenQ monitors,
https://www.benq.eu/en-uk/monitor.html

Eizo is another high end product, some at silly prices
https://gb.colorconfidence.com/monitor-ranges.html

Bottom line is buy the best you can afford.

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

That's very useful information. Thank you all for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

cg_341 wrote:I wrote this some time ago and updated it last year, it's still very much relevant although the model numbers will have changed: https://www.threshold.aero/data-centre/ ... to-editing

Apologies for coming back to this issue but I was following up on your recommendation and I've found that the newer U2518D is available new at around the same price as a used 2515 (which appears to have been discontinued as new examples seem to be end-of-stock and are still more expensive than the 2518). Having checked some comparison reviews, the specs are making my head spin.

Is the 2518 on a par with the 2515 or is it yet another example of a manufacturer replacing a perfectly good item with a cheaper and inferior version?

Many thanks for any help you can give.