What does UKAR need? Opinions please...

Announcements from UK Airshow Review and our partners
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Re: What does UKAR need? Opinions please...

Post by tankbuster81 »

some good positive comments there.I think maybe under 16 thread would be better than under 18.and totally agree on maximum of 6 shots.maybe it should all be put to a vote??
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

DanO1978 wrote:
Rory76 wrote:Excellent idea with the thread.

My tuppence worth of initial thoughts-

Can't say I agree with the restriction on photo numbers, that would mean a lot of great photos getting sat on, unshared.

On the flip side though, a lot of very average images wouldn't get posted. This is where we need your help - when you make a photo post, do a bit of "personal screening" and post your very BEST from an event or visit. Steven Hadlow is a good example of this - he rarely, if ever, posts an image which isn't WORTH posting, even though he clearly has many more "sat on". Tony Osborne is another. We're probably victims of the cheapness of DLSR equipment, where pretty much anyone can afford kit, hence the proliferation of photo threads. Plans are afoot for a way of sorting and recognising the very best photographs on UKAR, so we are on the case!

Can see the argument in favour of a limit, but, given that the site itself doesn't host the photos, and is not, therefore getting it's storage space filled up with loads of JPEGS, I think it's better to allow us to scan through the portfolios (portfoliii?) ourselves. I'm sure there are numerous instances where the photos that have been appreciated most by the forumeers have not been the personal favourites of the photographer and it'd be a shame to lose these because of an enforced pre selection process. And what about the old photos that get posted? It's not worth having numerous threads for them, but there are often amazing rarities in great number in the scanned in slides and film shots.
Ricoh Caplio R5

Sony A300 ('L' Plates Fitted)

Monty

Post by Monty »

DanO1978 wrote:
Rory76 wrote:Excellent idea with the thread.

My tuppence worth of initial thoughts-

Can't say I agree with the restriction on photo numbers, that would mean a lot of great photos getting sat on, unshared.

On the flip side though, a lot of very average images wouldn't get posted. This is where we need your help - when you make a photo post, do a bit of "personal screening" and post your very BEST from an event or visit. Steven Hadlow is a good example of this - he rarely, if ever, posts an image which isn't WORTH posting, even though he clearly has many more "sat on". Tony Osborne is another. We're probably victims of the cheapness of DLSR equipment, where pretty much anyone can afford kit, hence the proliferation of photo threads. Plans are afoot for a way of sorting and recognising the very best photographs on UKAR, so we are on the case!

The problem with this DanO is that some people new to the hobby are not going to be producing such quality work as the ones you have mentioned, should they not post because in your eyes (or maybe not if the case might be, just using you WORTH idea and playing devils advocate :smile: ) the photo isn't worth being posted?
Canon EOS 50D
Canon 18-55mm IS
Canon 70-300mm IS USM F-4.0/5.6

1094 (Ely) Sqn ATC

garethbrum

Post by garethbrum »

I honestly don't believe it is simply an age issue with regard to some of the posting of uneccessary threads. To simply suggest that every person under the age of 16 has to post in their own thread does those who post responsibly and in their clearest English a huge injustice.

While there should be some leeway with regard to use of the English language (not everyone writes or spells well) the use of text language on a forum is totally unacceptable I think and probably does mainly come from younger members, but that doesn't mean that only younger members are responsible for this or some of the drivel that appears, far from it. If there is going to be a probationary period it should apply to all new members in my opinion and needs to be carefully managed so as not to make the forum unapproachable.

For me the forum has gone downhill in the last 18 months or so - too many personal attacks, too much bickering, too many people engaging in political debates that cause grief (I'm not blameless here), too much drivel, too many samey photo threads (I agree Dan that people need to personally screen their own shots more effectively) and yes, some of the cliques becoming all too obvious.

Some people, like myself, do want and need help with their photography. I have taken more aviation photography than I've had hot dinners, most of it was about 20 years ago though! Having finally got round to getting a DSLR set-up I will seek advice on the photography aspect and also the processing and if you'd asked me a while back where the best place was to get this I would have said UKAR. Now I'm not so sure.

The critique thread is not utilised enough I don't think and should perhaps be used more if the forum is going to be a place where people can get serious advice on their photography, god knows the expertise is here. If it isn't then maybe the forum should start screening photos or tighten the rules on what can be posted - at the moment it seems to be caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. I actually think the site is sometimes trying too hard to do too much and maybe this is why people just browse around without neccessarily taking it all in. It's no fun to see your view count going up on a photo thread and no one bothering to make any comment, especially if you've made it quite clear that you are seeking advice.

For all that, UKAR's forum remains a compelling place to visit and a mine of useful information, that's what it does best in my view, it might just need a few tweeks.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The problem with this DanO is that some people new to the hobby are not going to be producing such quality work as the ones you have mentioned, should they not post because in your eyes (or maybe not if the case might be, just using you WORTH idea and playing devils advocate :smile: ) the photo isn't worth being posted?

Quite the contrary; it would allow two things for the new or less confident photographer to do... a) Post their best photos from a group and ask for constructive help or b) To post six of their average shots for the same reason.

Andy

Mister Tee

Post by Mister Tee »

I tend to come onto this forum to have a look at hopefully nice snaps of aircraft and at the same time time to see what drivel is being written by the armchair experts and generals. Over the last couple of years I have seen a decline in the comments and they always tend to be the same. ie 'Nice catch' (did it fall out of the sky!). The drivel is still in a class of it's own though! The quality of the photo's is as good as ever and I even take the time to look at the bad ones of rare aircraft and here is my first point. Please can you put captions to the photo's. Not everyone has an encyclopeadic knowledge of every aircraft type or which airforce it belongs to. I'm not interested in what iso or speed was used but I would like to know what the aircraft is especially the civillian types.

Secondly I agree with a limit to the number of photo's of one aircraft. Classic example was the recent thread of a C-9A at Luton (or Stanstead?) which comprised of 15, yes 15 photos of said aircraft all from the same angle! And the point of them all? Bored me! So yes lets limit the number per airframe to one perhaps two, and ten airframes per thread.

Thirdly, check your spelling before you post! ie. Bulmer SAR. It is spelt Boulmer. (From 4 years on the flight in the 80's).

Finally, comments. If people want to comment they will, if not they won't. Its a fact of life. Just because you have walked up some Welsh hillside to take a mass of photo's of a F-15 or two (previously mentioned by another poster) in bad weather (future SAR jobs I call you) doesn't mean people are going to be impressed. To use the example of the bad weather on a hillside in Wales my first thought is 'Why?'

Let the arguments begin!

Mister Tee

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

As Dan has said, something like this was already in the offing - we've recieved a number of comments, reported posts and seen countless public messages of discontent, but had had nothing offered up as a solution, so we were planning on gaining your input to where UKAR goes from here anyway.

We've got to strike a balance with photo threads, between quality and quantity. A photo limit is one method, and I think it can be enforced by the forum software anyway, should we go down that route. Perhaps we should be actively encouraging more critique in photo threads too? In conjunction with a smaller selection of images, that may hopefully drive the standards up?

Ever since I designed this new UKAR way back in 2006, there were a couple of ideas we had to recognise the good photography that does get posted and hopefully encourage the high standards and get people more involved with the website. It was always the intention (and still is), to bring back a couple of the classic UKAR features from the website of 2002; namely a regular photo competition, and also the "Pic of the week" feature (in an expanded format). At the moment, we won't be able to run these things through the website, but we're looking at bringing them onto the forums in the interim.

I can sympathesise with the younger members - I was of similar age when I first joined UKAR. Again, we need to find a balance - there are plenty of younger members on this forum who make consistently good contributions to the "community". An age limit might mean we lose out on guys like those joining UKAR in future, and that's not good IMO. What is the compromise? I don't know.

We do need your help when policing the forum too - as Andy outlined in a PM you should have all recieved, we can't be monitoring everything that goes on. I was completely unaware of the sort of thing going on in the Yeovilton thread last week, until it was flagged up by someone. With your help, we can hopefully nip things in the bud, before they start getting out of hand.

Perhaps a few more moderators would help in that regard too? There are 14 staff members, but only a handful of them actively moderate - some occupy the position because they bring us a core skill set away from the forums, some don't have much time to browse, but mostly, they just don't want to, because it's a thankless task. It does wear you down after a while, and we've also just recently lost a chunk of our manpower. Perhaps we could trial a method where we could task volunteers with an individual section of the forum that they can assist us with moderating?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

It's a tough one this.
I think you have to be happy with your own pictures and post them just because you want to and not because you want everyone to tell you how great or how Rubbish they are,I take Photo's first and foremost for me and post a small amount for other people to see.
I was the only one who posted a picture of the Typhoon at southend on The Friday Practice and with what i have got camera and lense wise,the picture i posted i was Chuffed with but only got one Reply so i guess it was not as good as i thought but the end of the day i took the Photo for me so no point in getting miffed about it.

My other point is that even if i understood Photography as well as some on here"Which i don't" how can i still compete with my Middle of the range Camera and Budget Lense Against someone with £2000 Camera and £1000+ lense.

Regards

Mark.

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

My ideas would be:

1) A monthly or fortnightly photo competition, where images are uploaded to UKAR's webspace, with no watermark or distinguishing features on the images - a poll is then launched in the last few days, and a winner is chosen purely upon the photo itself.

2) A few more moderators? The forums have grown so much, yet staff numbers have decreased!

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

Hi

I have been visiting this site regulary for 4-5 years and generally do so because I find the content generally good, sometimes excellent and have gleaned a ton of info about aviation 'goings on' from these pages. Some of the images posted here are absolutely stunning and those guys and gals delivering such high quality are duely praised. Many of the issues mentioned in the above posts have gone through my mind over the years but I have learned to filter what I don't like and enjoy what I do.

So, I just want now to post my viewpoint on this site for the perusal of the Mods ... whether or not you find anything worth reading is upto you I guess ))

http://www.airshows.co.uk/about-us.html

Its worth looking at the above link as it describes pretty much how I see the purpose of the site. Most of the posts in this thread are about photography and how to manage it. The thing is, I don't see this as a purely photography site.... I see it as an Aviation based site that allows its members to talk about, share info and share photographs about aviation.

For myself, although I do take photos I am primarily a spotter (please no spotter derision :smile: ) and I get my kicks from visiting airshows, base visits, museums, sitting on the end of runways all over europe with a few friends having an absolute ball doing it. When I think I've seen something interesting then I will post a thread on UKAR on the assumption if I found it interesting others might. (these have recently included Cosford and Shawbury base visits). I have also found any questions I have asked have been politely answered with information freely shared and for that I am very grateful.

So that for me is the positive side of UKAR. The stuff I don't like so much I ignore BUT often get drawn into reading anyway :grin: , and I think this is where the atmosphere of UKAR is facing its bigest challenge. The suitabley named 'Off Topic' threads have recently been quite edgy with many peeps getting quite nasty to each other on topics which seem almost designed to antagonise and cause argument ..ie the Maggie thread Dano started a litttle while back.(Dano, I am 100% positive you just wanted a debate and am not accusing you of insiting a riot :smile: :smile: ) Similarly some members seem to be the butt of other peoples 'humour' and can be quite embarresing to read. All of this breaks down the upbeat atmosphere UKAR used to have.

So, getting to the point, I think it would be cool if the Mods could perhaps restate the purpose of UKAR. I would have it as a site where anyone with any interest in aviation is welcome, be it model makers, spotters, photographers, Airshow fans,sick bag collectors, etc etc without feeling they may be ridiculed for their views. The cliques will always happen in any environment where lots of people meet so I don't think this should be seen as an issue BUT tolerance should always be exercised when commenting on a topic which dosn't float your boat, as an example, I already said I am a spotter. Why can't that element of the board have a section to post logs from visits etc. rather than having the piss extracted. I know there are many on this board who 'do numbers' but are AFRAID to post anthing because they will be derided. If you don't want this on UKAR then say so.

Thanks for reading if you got this far.

Mark
HTAFC

Charles022

Post by Charles022 »

I don't know why you need an age limit, I think and have been told my work is more than good enough to get on this site. Take my Warton posts for example they got over 15 comments each. All I have to say is, if you want more comments and views edit you photos correctly! Their is no point in posting a blurry picture ETC and expect to get thousands of views and comments. Sorry this isnt going to happen!

Cheers Charles :smile:

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

I am a relatively old salt here, so here is my two pennyth. The biggest problem as I see it is the trickling away of quality contributors over the years. In recent years I have seen people who post excellent quality shots and provide good debate, driven away by egos, ridiculous comments or just simply a lack of interest. I have been angered by the comments made what has become known as a 'Dirty Side On', fine as a joke, but it was taken too far. One mod even suggested that a contributor change his photographic habits. That contributor hasn't posted much since.

These people need to be encouraged to return, UKAR Staff should be finding out what made these people leave and ask them to return.

Aviation discussion has dried up to a point where most topics now consist of a link to a BBC website story, probably because most interesting debates turn into slanging matches and personal attacks, and woe betide anyone who asks about a registration or serial. Yes there will always be cliques, its part of human nature, people have to accept that. But also people also need to be more accepting of criticism. I think people are worried about being critical for fear people will turn on them, well that's not on. If members can't accept criticism, there should be no room for them on this forum. I think there should be changes in the Modding team too, there are too many of you under the age of 30, it may be a good idea to accept some older, unlikely people into the ranks, not so much as Staff members, but simply as Mods to watch the forums.
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

I think if you change things too much with restricting numbers and all that plus cutting out any 'non praising' comments you will ruin it myself...but anyways....with any airshow there is more to it than purely aircraft,no airshow is complete without an audience,Its nice to see a few of them having fun(or not! :grin: ) without the pic I put up and maybe one or so,you would have thought Abingdon had no one there to see it!
let alone a massive audience like Southend....looks more like a sprinkling!:wink:

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

I don't know if this has been suggested yet because I have only skimmed through the posts but how about a star rating system on images? It's a simple and quick way of judging pics and then below any comments or suggestions can be made. I do not always have time to post on the all threads I view and this would be an easier way of letting the postee know how you rate his/her images. I also understand that people don't always feel the need to post and so when I post my pics I'm not upset or distraught if I haven't recieved any responses.

As to the Under 18/16 thread, I think this is a little unfair as often most of the pics posted by users in this age group are better than mine :grin: . As for the banter, I enjoy it. It makes me chuckle and as long as it's not derogatory or abusive it does generate a good, friendly atmosphere between members. So when it comes to meeting with the members for the first time it gives an instant topic of conversation and some familiarity between each other (and of course the banter can continue... :grin: )

Just my thoughts :biggrin:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

In reference to the picture limitation, fine limiting the number of pictures of an airframe, one is perhaps over zealous, if the aircraft is rare or unique - WB-57F for example, several shots are fine, if its not - the aforementioned US Navy C-9B - two would have been plenty.

However limiting the number of pics one posts on a thread, becomes a little restricting if for example st24 or I decide to do one of our yesteryear threads on an old show. 6 photos hardly covers an IAT of yore or an Air Fete. Again posters have put up threads with old classics - Phantoms, tiger schemes, twin booms whatever. Six shots only would rather kill the topic. Unless of course you don't want that sort of thread on here?

Agree with Tony on the DSO thing, it went too far and certainly appeared to put off one very good photographer, who posted excellent photos of an aircraft, never mind the prop blur or cropping, they showed an aircraft, which is what some of us do like to see. There are plenty of other threads with head ons, or cockpits, slow shutter speeds etc for the more creative.

Finally on photos, if you post pics you can't expect comments, if they happen and they're good all the better. Some people attract comments like flies to a turd, simply because they continue to produce high quality pin sharp pics (step forward Mr Drage), therefore folks seem to hone in on a thread when posted. Others will seek out friends work, its only natural. I clearly must take shocking pics and have no friends :sad: :grin: . I don't see it is a problem as long as there is no malice about the individual posted and comments on the photo are constructive if negative. I've probably been guilty there too :oops: .

The grammar thing does at times become petty (I'm one to blame here perhaps) but some recent contributions were dire, even breaking into text speak :mad: and continuing when the error was pointed out. The mods did rectify this swiftly :clap: . The odd spelling mistake isn't hurting anyone, but it is a hangar :grin: .

But I don't see a need for rash changes and limitations on posting pics. I think it would turn some away.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

I want capercaillie as a Mod... :smile:
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

IanH

Post by IanH »

nigelblake wrote:I agree with Manonthefence.
People will comment if moved to do so, irrespective of the subject or location it was taken at. Any rule changing won't make any difference at all.
Overall the forum has a good mix of topics and usually a light-hearted feel to it, no need to fix something that isn't broken!

If only this were true. Of course everyone has the right to their own opinion which I fully respect. If staying in the hills is the thing that 'moves you' that is great but it isn`t the only form of aircraft photography as we all know however I am starting to think its all that matters here. If it carries on like this, this site will have to be renamed 'lowfly' squared! I am simply tired of seeing the efforts of some people who go to great lengths to photograph interesting and varied aircraft largely ignored for whatever reason but laregly NOT because it doesn`t move them. Believe me, shooting such stuff is often alot harder and requires more organisation than getting up a hill (if of course you are fit, healthy and able) when you get the nod that something is coming through LFA 7. I enjoy looking at your shots as well as others from the hills but I am tired of seeing x 100 shots of the same aircraft on the same day followed by everyone then praising each other when it was a set up. At the end of the day, its a hobby and you can comment as you wish. There are many aircraft and countries around the world where 'DSO' as its now referred rather frustratingly is as good as it gets. DSO actually shows the aircraft, its scheme etc etc. I happen to love the Typhoon but once you`ve shot one front on how many more do you need? There are also sadly many aircraft which now have a limited shelf life which also get photographed and are then ignored. Most of these don`t fly through LFA7. The efforts that some make to get such shots are huge in some cases and I feel this should be occasionally recognised and acknowledged by those who frequently enjoy the plaudits otherwise they`ll just stop bothering to post. We will all benefit less from this. In this respect, all of us have some responsibility in my humble opinion. To be honest, I have just accepted that few will comment now on mine. I watched a post the other night develop after I had put something on. Incidently I do comment regularly on many posts. What was interesting was where two people simply went down the lowfly posts more or less together commenting but missing out the one or two in the middle. The one or two in the middle (excluding mine DSO and underneath) were good posts. The significance of the last TLP at Florennes for example (held on base for 20 years) has nigh on been lost on here simply because it was pushed off the board by countless low level posts that we`ve already seen on Lowfly.

Perhaps you can tell me why it is imperative to post on Lowfly which I believe is an excellent site and replicate it again on here? There is a great dichotomy developing here for those who frequent the hills. I guess everyone will be complaining soon when its standing room only on the Bwlch.

You are quite right Nigel, the banter can be good on here but it is less good now. The topics can be mixed but they are less so now for the simple reason that I know people are frustrated. Many excellent photographers who used to post don`t now because they have tired of things. You may be right about a rule change but Andy and 'Boff' have made some good suggestions which may benefit things. I will aslo have a think about things and make suggestions. Much of this is personal stuff at the end of the day and its just about thinking wider than ones own posts 'occasionally' . Not that I do it this way but if I see that someone has 'beaten' me to a post, I just leave it. Why post mine. I`m happy to say good shot or think perhaps its worth posting later.

Regards, Ian
Last edited by IanH on Thu 28 May 2009, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

I have read with some interest this thread.

UKAR sits in quite a unique place in the UK aviation internet scheme. It covers a middle ground as I see it. The likes of Fighter Control are very military based and not open to the general public, you need to register. The A.net forums cover the nitty gritty of photo database forums, the "how to get this shot on the database" type threads.

Nowhere is the main theme airshows with at least a little space given to non-military stuff. It is open to be read by the genral public, even if not registered. I like that, especially when I have a senior moment and forget my password. :grin: This does open up to UKAR to the general public, some of whom are not good members. This will always be the case with a more open forum.

To make things better, that is a hard question. I notice I do tend to look at photo threads from a select bunch of members, the UKAR staff, Karl, KevJ, IanH, Swiss Tony, and others. A top contributor sub-forum, where these top-contributors upload would distill the quality into one place.

These top contributors could then comment on some of the "mortals" photo threads, hopefully helping others to improve. The top-contributors could be added to as other photographers come to the fore, via the return of "Photo of the week" and other such means.

Also the need for more forum mods is evident in the recent request from the staff for more vigilance on threads. These mods don't have to be "full" staff members, just give them some rights to lock and bin threads that get out of hand, or better still before they get of hand.

Just my thoughts!
Aviation photographer - Achievement unlocked

Russ

Post by Russ »

capercaillie wrote:However limiting the number of pics one posts on a thread, becomes a little restricting if for example st24 or I decide to do one of our yesteryear threads on an old show. 6 photos hardly covers an IAT of yore or an Air Fete. Again posters have put up threads with old classics - Phantoms, tiger schemes, twin booms whatever. Six shots only would rather kill the topic. Unless of course you don't want that sort of thread on here?

This is a fair point, I don't know whether it's technically feasible, but perhaps the Golden Oldies section could be exempt from a photo limit for the reasons you state. Certainly something we'll look into should we go down a photo restriction limit.

Some excellent suggestions/points raised so far guys, keep them coming. :clap:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Harlequin67 wrote:Also the need for more forum mods is evident in the recent request from the staff for more vigilance on threads.

Indeed - suggested something similar myself.

Let's just have a show of hands - if we were to appoint a few more moderators, who would be interested in volunteering to cover a section of the forum?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

POD

Post by POD »

Ok, the question was, What does UKAR need?.

Well, in my opinion, for what its worth two things to start with.

Standards and better moderation.

However, before engaging on a series of possible solutions, I think there is a need to pose a counter question, specifically aimed at the UKAR staff and mods. What do you want UKAR to be or what do you see it as????

Right, the question of, photograph quality etc! (note I use the term Photograph) as opposed to shot, snap, catch etc!!

It's inevitable that the DSO will get far less comments than a dynamic low flying or display shot. Thats a fact of life. It's the same for example in the Air Show world. Take the Typhoon over Tutor debate. The Typhoon will always get the plaudits as it has the WOW factor. Very few will look at the Tutor and recognise that the display is flown with just as much skill and technique and even less will be moved to say or write anything about it.
However, the DSO is argueably one of the most important aspects of aviation photography. A tecnically good DSO, records a moment in time, be that a rare visit by a new type to a new airfield or country, or records Squadron markings, aircraft variant etc etc. These picture's are far more likely to ever get published than a dynamic shot of the typhoon pulling vapour against a blue sky! (even if it is at Dawlish LOL)

This leads quite nicely into my question to UKAR about where it sees itself........

If UKAR wants to be seen by enthusiasts, and members of the Aviation industry, both military and civil as a credible source of information and images it has to have standards, and high ones at that. If you want it to be, as its becoming,, a platform for backslapping, ego massaging, nice photos mate etc etc, then keep it as it is.
Higher standards and better moderation are required. As I see it there are several ways of doing this.

Yes, I agree moderation should start with the poster. The poster should really have a good look at him/herslf before posting and ask the question are my pics really good enough and are they interesting.
Perhaps you need to adopt a two-tier structure, yes that may sound and probably is elitest, however, if you want to improve standards then its probably the only way you can do this.
My suggestion would be to do away with the under used Critique Thread and open a beginners/inexperienced/new members forum. You could then have, say a new team of "photo only" mods, which could then critique peoples posts and offer advice and critisism where appropriate. I would suggest maybe offering invites to say 20 members to become mods who are technically sound and recognised as good photographers. The problem you have now is that when someone does offer some sort of critique you get shot down and get three posts straight after, that counter the claim and say, well I think they are great etc etc. Not helpful. After a while if the mods agree then you can post in the main forum like being promoted in football. And before someone wants to have a go on this point I offer this example. I can buy the best football boots in the world, I can kick a football, however it doesnt mean I can play in the premiership!!! However this would only work if the main forum itself was severely moderated. Something again that the photo mods could help with. I came to this conclusion a few months back, when looking through the posts there was an entry from an airfield in Suffolk....after several hundred views and no replies the poster, posted again saying, xxx amount of views and no replies are my photo's really that bad?........well, yes they were, all were out of focus etc etc, but had someone decided to say that they would have been shot down in flames. Well if you dont have a standard you will always have this problem.

Open forums are great, if thats what you want. So I ask the mods, what do you want? Because if you want to raise the bar you need to up the quality of your product and inevitably that will upset a few on the way. Alternatively it could inspire some to up their game...........its for you to decide.

Now, as with the beauty of an open forum. I will retire to the garden, don my flack jacket and helmet and wait for the inevitable attack!!!!! Oh the joys of the internet!!!! :handbag: Well after all I was asked for my opinion!! :ninja:

:rock: :rock: :rock:
Tiger Tiger!

MartinNeedham

Post by MartinNeedham »

Have to say the last couple of pages have made some interesting reading.

I think regarding under 18s who post on here; the minority have certainly made matters worse. As many of those minors who do post, post with the correct grammatical and lexical abilities - granted there are the occasional errors but we're all human. It's the complete lack of effort to punctuate and even type whole words shown by several members which is causing the hindrances.

Random wrote:1) A monthly or fortnightly photo competition, where images are uploaded to UKAR's webspace, with no watermark or distinguishing features on the images - a poll is then launched in the last few days, and a winner is chosen purely upon the photo itself.

For me, that's hit the nail on the head. It allows those who are not as popular and as sucessful as Karl and Mr Osborne (to name but a few) to have their work showcased and celebrated and also assists in abolishing the cliques.

Another thing that would help is for members to look at the threads from the same airshow that they have visited, so we don't end up with the "Oh, your shots are just like mine" scenario. Although at locations such as Kemble, where many members will all be in the UKAR enclosure, it's a bit tricky.

Martin

razor23uk

Post by razor23uk »

As most of you can see,I am a newish member to the site,but have enjoyed my time so far. I am not,and probably never will be,a photographer,but I realy enjoy looking at the shots posted. I don't post comments as i feel I am in no position to comment on something I know nothing about!! I would'nt know an SLR from an ISO if I sat one!!! All I would say is its my guess that 90% of members who look at the pictures would mutter/mumble to themselves something like "Nice shot" or "cracking picture mate".........I know I do!!

On a purely selfish note,I would like to see an Airband/Scanning section on the site. Not everyones cup of tea I know,but niether is photography I guess.
Aircraft,both Mil and Civie,have always been of interest to me over the last 40 odd years,and now with scanning becoming part of my hobby,it would be nice to "chat" with other like-minded posters.
Just my thoughts guys....... :smile:
Keep up the good work staff and mods.
Under Filton 09,in Newport S Wales. UBC300XLT with a antenna on a silo 90ft up.Scanning daily!

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Pic threads
Number of images posted in subtitle?

Is there a technical way of having a main thread for say, Duxford Spring show and then all similar threads cascading under it?

New members Welcome thread
I think this is a great idea. Just like learner drivers, we all had to start at some point. The idea that a fresh-faced aviation enthusiast is put off his or her hobby because they get flamed here is all wrong.

Comments
I don't post many photos as I dont take many aviation pics. I must admit I scroll right through the "great catch on the strobe, mate" comments but they are welcome if you post pics.

UKAR and the internet
It's the internet and there will always be issues now and then with people getting hacked off or on each others' nerves. You do develop a thick skin coming on here but it's the same anywhere. We're all guilty of being "keyboard heroes".

But it could be worse, we could be meeting up in real life!

MartinNeedham

Post by MartinNeedham »

Regarding the quite regularly spotted "I've got £750 to spend on a DSLR, what should I get?" threads; would it not make sense to have a sticky in Photography hints and tips where members could post their reviews on bodies, lenses and all other peices of photography related matter. Granted, many users do have the same cameras; mainly canon bodies. so you'd have to either compile several users opinions on the EOS400D or get one member to write a review which is specially tailored to aviation photography, including sample images (low light, night, etc) and 100% crops etc.

Martin