Notice about gmail.com accounts

Notice about gmail.com accounts

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Wed 03 Jun 2009, 8:44 pm

With the recent influx of Spam forcing us to switch to manual account activation, both Nick and I have had to wade through mountains of e-mails over the past 3 days to try and get genuine member applications sorted. In doing so, it's very quickly become apparent that around 95% of the spam is coming from gmail.com addresses, so we've taken the decision to put a blanket ban on gmail.com accounts registering on the forum.

I know there are a few genuine users who have their e-mail accounts registered to gmail - apologies in advance if this creates any issues. Should that be the case contact us through the wesbite and we'll get them resolved as quickly as possible.

Dan
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Notice about gmail.com accounts

Postby ChrisM on Wed 03 Jun 2009, 8:50 pm

Is this just for new members, or does it apply to existing members who use googlemail accounts?
Cheers

Chris
ChrisM

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Wed 03 Jun 2009, 8:53 pm

Dunno, never done it before! :grin:

I think it should just apply to new accounts from now on, but in the event it does cause a problem for existing users, contact us through the website and we'll change your e-mail address.

Your address is googlemail.com, so you should be fine. :smile:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Dollar99 on Wed 03 Jun 2009, 8:57 pm

If this works then it looks like it's new accounts :biggrin:
Dollar99

Postby Fumbles on Thu 04 Jun 2009, 12:09 am

I just got home from work and read this topic. I have used Gmail since the new board went live because I have moved from coast to coast of Canada a lot in the 2 years. Theres hundreds of ISP's in this country. Just logged on now to see if anything has happened. Seems ok to me sofar.
Fumbles

Postby Rob Leigh on Thu 04 Jun 2009, 10:20 pm

Dan, the majority of the spam applications that I deal with share the same timezone (GMT -12) so they're easily filtered out by sorting the user table by timezone and zapping them off en-masse. It's quicker than zapping individual registrations.
Rob Leigh

Postby umea4 on Sun 21 Jun 2009, 8:07 am

Another gmail user here. Hasn't been a problem for me either so far, so just keep doing whatever it is you're doing to keep out the spammers.

Cheers,

Anthony.
umea4

Postby UK_Tomcat_Fan on Mon 20 Jul 2009, 3:31 pm

doesnt seem to be an issue here
Martin

UK_Tomcat_Fan

Postby Chef_uk on Mon 20 Jul 2009, 10:44 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Dunno, never done it before! :grin:

I think it should just apply to new accounts from now on, but in the event it does cause a problem for existing users, contact us through the website and we'll change your e-mail address.

Your address is googlemail.com, so you should be fine. :smile:

googlemail here too but i can get mail with the gmail name aswell. If anyone has problems they can just change the gmail to googlemail and it will still work.
Chef_uk

Return to UK Airshow Review News