Notice about gmail.com accounts

Announcements from UK Airshow Review and our partners
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Notice about gmail.com accounts

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

With the recent influx of Spam forcing us to switch to manual account activation, both Nick and I have had to wade through mountains of e-mails over the past 3 days to try and get genuine member applications sorted. In doing so, it's very quickly become apparent that around 95% of the spam is coming from gmail.com addresses, so we've taken the decision to put a blanket ban on gmail.com accounts registering on the forum.

I know there are a few genuine users who have their e-mail accounts registered to gmail - apologies in advance if this creates any issues. Should that be the case contact us through the wesbite and we'll get them resolved as quickly as possible.

Dan
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

ChrisM

Re: Notice about gmail.com accounts

Post by ChrisM »

Is this just for new members, or does it apply to existing members who use googlemail accounts?
Cheers

Chris

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Dunno, never done it before! :grin:

I think it should just apply to new accounts from now on, but in the event it does cause a problem for existing users, contact us through the website and we'll change your e-mail address.

Your address is googlemail.com, so you should be fine. :smile:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Dollar99

Post by Dollar99 »

If this works then it looks like it's new accounts :biggrin:

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

I just got home from work and read this topic. I have used Gmail since the new board went live because I have moved from coast to coast of Canada a lot in the 2 years. Theres hundreds of ISP's in this country. Just logged on now to see if anything has happened. Seems ok to me sofar.

Rob Leigh

Post by Rob Leigh »

Dan, the majority of the spam applications that I deal with share the same timezone (GMT -12) so they're easily filtered out by sorting the user table by timezone and zapping them off en-masse. It's quicker than zapping individual registrations.

umea4

Post by umea4 »

Another gmail user here. Hasn't been a problem for me either so far, so just keep doing whatever it is you're doing to keep out the spammers.

Cheers,

Anthony.

UK_Tomcat_Fan

Post by UK_Tomcat_Fan »

doesnt seem to be an issue here
Martin

Chef_uk

Post by Chef_uk »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Dunno, never done it before! :grin:

I think it should just apply to new accounts from now on, but in the event it does cause a problem for existing users, contact us through the website and we'll change your e-mail address.

Your address is googlemail.com, so you should be fine. :smile:

googlemail here too but i can get mail with the gmail name aswell. If anyone has problems they can just change the gmail to googlemail and it will still work.