Bigger Images?

Switch to full style
Announcements from UK Airshow Review and our partners
Post a reply

Bigger Images?

Yes, I want to see bigger pics on UKAR
136
71%
No, I like things the way they are
56
29%
 
Total votes : 192

Re: Bigger Images?

Tue 13 Oct 2009, 9:03 pm

900px still doesn't fit at 1024 res.

Pete made the avatar column narrower when we launched the forum last year. The problem isn't so much the avatar column, it's that it doesn't give you a scroll bar if the images are oversize for your res - it just cuts them off. Ikonboard would just give you a scroll bar to see the rest of the image.

I've found a mod that should help out with this, but me and Nick need to have a look at how we install mods and learn about it all - neither of us have ever used PHPBB3 before. Pete set all this up.

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 3:55 am

I've always saved at image size 10 on PS
12 is the largest
Just looiking at some gazelles usl i have saved at 1200px the file sizes are 197,277 and 282 so at 1024 there shoudnt be a problem on size of file

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 5:45 am

This is what the test shot looks like on my 16in CRT in a screen grab with resolution set at 1152, which was the next size down I had from 1024.

Image

Brian

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 5:54 am

The problem with increasing the size is that a number of sites will still have a 800 px limit. I'm not editing two sets of shots one for UKAR one for everyone else.

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 6:28 am

I'd say keep it at 800px but allow us to have 300mb per photo :smile:

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 6:36 am

Jumbojet380 wrote:I'd say keep it at 800px but allow us to have 300mb per photo :smile:


300mb? :shock:

Brian

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 6:46 am

Nick, upping the size limit on the photies doesn't mean everyone has to post at 1000 px across, it will just give give people the option to do so if they wish!

But why anyone would want a 300kb 800x600 is beyond me and my tiny brain!

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 8:46 am

Another option would be to force the images to display at a smaller size of say 400 wide (effectively a preview) or even at the current 800 wide, with each "preview" clickable to open the image at the real resolution in a separate window.

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 9:25 am

steves4ssl wrote:Another option would be to force the images to display at a smaller size of say 400 wide (effectively a preview) or even at the current 800 wide, with each "preview" clickable to open the image at the real resolution in a separate window.

This is what we're looking at.

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 9:39 am

TonyO wrote:...But why anyone would want a 300kb 800x600 is beyond me and my tiny brain!...


Because less compression equals higher quality?

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 11:55 am

Manonthefence wrote:The problem with increasing the size is that a number of sites will still have a 800 px limit. I'm not editing two sets of shots one for UKAR one for everyone else.


Maybe not, but those of us that submit to other databases have the opposite problem. One of the reasons I don't post on UKAR as often as I used to is that I can't be ar*ed downsizing to 800 wide! :biggrin:

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 1:48 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
steves4ssl wrote:Another option would be to force the images to display at a smaller size of say 400 wide (effectively a preview) or even at the current 800 wide, with each "preview" clickable to open the image at the real resolution in a separate window.

This is what we're looking at.

Airshowbuzz do that. Wanna guess why I dont post there?

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 2:05 pm

Because it's American? :wink:

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 2:38 pm

For the record, works fine at 1280x800 on my laptop, so another vote for 1024px wide images :)


Anyone who has a monitor 15in or larger, your native resolution is 1280x1024, you'll find your monitor performs far better at, or above, that resolution :) (It's supposed to save energy as well, but I doubt that bit!)

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 4:09 pm

Lumix wrote:
Manonthefence wrote:The problem with increasing the size is that a number of sites will still have a 800 px limit. I'm not editing two sets of shots one for UKAR one for everyone else.


Maybe not, but those of us that submit to other databases have the opposite problem. One of the reasons I don't post on UKAR as often as I used to is that I can't be ar*ed downsizing to 800 wide! :biggrin:


Pretty much the same with me. All the photos I show on my website or post on the other forums are between 900 and 1000 wide. My shots from Britcars had to be resized to 800 specifically for UKAR and for some of the events I just can't be bothered doing it twice - once for UKAR and once for everything else.

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 4:50 pm

I prefer the bigger images as well :smile:

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 7:11 pm

Had a look at that airshowbuzz forum Nick - the one we're looking at is a lot better than that.

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 8:40 pm

I don't think clicking thumbnails to see a larger version is particularly effective, it's just more hassle for users and you're loading two sets of images, the thumbnail and then the full size. It's certainly not how I imagined this proceeding.

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 8:42 pm

The plan is more like the Lightbox style we have on the main website, yet where the images are resized down automatically to 800px, and clicking them will give 1024px.

Re: Bigger Images?

Wed 14 Oct 2009, 10:25 pm

TonyO wrote:I don't think clicking thumbnails to see a larger version is particularly effective, it's just more hassle for users and you're loading two sets of images, the thumbnail and then the full size. It's certainly not how I imagined this proceeding.

Not with what we're looking at. It creates the "thumbnail" (which will be 800px) from the original, so when you click the image to see the bigger version there's no waiting.

Like I said earlier, we've gotta find a compromise. Yeah, lots of people want bigger pics, but we can't just ignore the people who don't, nor can we ignore what the stats are telling us and ruin the experience for 22% of traffic (more than that actually, because we also have to take into account people running 1152 res, as Brian illustrated).

Re: Bigger Images?

Thu 15 Oct 2009, 9:15 am

Just an aside...the forum can't count :P


70% of people said Yes, 29% said no.


What about the 1%?! :grin:

Re: Bigger Images?

Thu 15 Oct 2009, 9:31 am

More than 1000 people have voted, ergo each vote is worth less than 1% so some rounding down has gone on to get a whole number.

Re: Bigger Images?

Thu 15 Oct 2009, 9:47 am

Random wrote:More than 1000 people have voted



Someone can't count.

"Total votes : 128"

Re: Bigger Images?

Thu 15 Oct 2009, 1:14 pm

Just can't type I think. I would guess he meant 100 votes.

Strange forum software! :grin:

Re: Bigger Images?

Thu 15 Oct 2009, 2:09 pm

Is there a guide anywhere for computer numpties to explain the significance of size etc. As a computer numptie I haven't a clue what you guys are talking about! :sad:
Post a reply