The CAA Proposals to Massively Increase Fees for Airshows

Announcements from UK Airshow Review and our partners
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

The CAA Proposals to Massively Increase Fees for Airshows

Post by UK Airshow Review »

A coordinated, sensible, unsensational approach is required in order to respond to these proposals and the consultation as a whole.
It is also important to point out that this cost review began well before Shoreham occured and is not connected to the safety review; therefore responses to this consultation should avoid going off at a tangent into this.

With that in mind, three of the largest online aviation websites, (UKAR, GAR and AeroResource) have been working together to deliver a coordinated approach to responding to this consultation.

The first excellent non-sensational article was published by GAR today into the impacts of these proposals, this article can be read here:
http://www.globalaviationresource.com/v ... -overview/

Over the coming days and week(s) you will see a number of articles, podcasts and other items published by the three websites all aimed at educating and spreading the word about the impacts of this consultation.

Later this evening (all being well), UKAR will be publishing a non-sensational Pro-Forma template letter to send to your local MP.

We have to say, e-petitions whilst admirable are likely to have very little effect (that shouldn't stop people filling them in however).

Lobbying your local MP could/will have a greater but limited effect

However, the most effective way to contest this is to formally respond to the consultation via the CAA website. This is the ONLY official method of response.

We would urge everyone to formally respond to the consultation here:- http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplic ... x?appid=58

We also welcome the creation of KAA and we would encourage their organisers to get in touch with us as soon as possible to help coordinate actions.

This matter is bigger than any of us or any single website, we cannot stress enough, please lobby your MP and most importantly formally respond to the consultation at the link above.

Thanks

UKAR

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Re: The CAA Proposals to Massively Increase Fees for Airshow

Post by UK Airshow Review »

Emotions have been running high in the professional and enthusiast airshow communities since the CAA’s announcement of its consultation into proposed increases to fees levied on airshow operators and display acts.

If you believe that these proposals are wrong then it is important that you respond to the consultation explaining why. This is the only way these proposals may be altered is if there enough opposing responses to the consultation.

The first place that you should respond is via the CAA’s own consultation response website, this is the only official reply route. Responses can be submitted here: http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplic ... x?appid=58

Another effective way of responding to this consultation is to lobby your local MP.

Here at UKAR we encourage as many of you as possible to respond to this consultation via the CAA and by lobbying your MP.

To that end, we have created a Template Letter for you to complete and send to your MP. The document can be downloaded: HERE

Of course there are other methods to make your voice known including petitions however these two methods above are the most effective and we urge to you to assist the industry by responding to the consultation before the 29th February 2016 deadline.

Other websites which may assist you in contacting your MP are:
https://www.writetothem.com/
http://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-your-mp/

sismore

Post by sismore »

At this moment in time only 49 people have responded to the CAA consultation and more people need to respond, its the best way to let them know your thoughts and hopefully prevent these cost increases to come into force.

It looks complicated but it isn't, just put 3.1 in the paragraph box and the select the option in the drop down box (there is only one option) and then write your comments in the box and send it.

:smile:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Quite right.

Petitions, and letters to MPs are great, and should be signed and sent, however, it is a MUST above all else, that people respond to the actual consultation. The CAA have asked for our thoughts, and we must give them!

5,000 signatures on the petition, good as it is, wont cut the mustard for the consultation. If 5,000 people responded to the consultation, there would be a much greater effect.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I worry that the setting up of that petition is the worst thing that could have happened; as most people are being led to believe that is what they have to do.

I desperately hope that more people fill in the consultation response.

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:I worry that the setting up of that petition is the worst thing that could have happened; as most people are being led to believe that is what they have to do.

I desperately hope that more people fill in the consultation response.

I quite agree with you. The problem is that far more publicity is being given to the petition rather than the consultation response.
Simon

sismore

Post by sismore »

I am doing my very best to stress how important it is to complete the CAA consultation on Facebook and its now stating to sink in I hope :smile:

wv383

Post by wv383 »

sismore wrote:I am doing my very best to stress how important it is to complete the CAA consultation on Facebook and its now stating to sink in I hope :smile:

I have been doing the same thing whenever I see on Facebook a post regarding the petition.
Simon

Stratofreighter

Post by Stratofreighter »

wv383 wrote:
sismore wrote:I am doing my very best to stress how important it is to complete the CAA consultation on Facebook and its now stating to sink in I hope :smile:

I have been doing the same thing whenever I see on Facebook a post regarding the petition.

Anyone on Twitter who can persuade Carol at
https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status ... 6157487104
to again stress that the CAA consultation is the most important tool to stop this all ?

Scotch tape

Post by Scotch tape »

It's deeper than that....following the BADA seminar it's highly likely that air show organisers will be forced into policing areas surrounding their airfields and display areas much more effectively. Even to the extent that if people start congregating in fields or roads nearby that the display could be suspended or cancelled. This has implications for notably RIAT and Duxford who have a problem with members of the public who don't wish to pay encroaching on private land to take photos directly under the display or approach departure lines. Not sure how they are expected to clear the fields or roads, generally the people who trespass don't really care too much about anyone else and are only too happy to voice that message to any organisers trying to keep the display safe and so the costs mount up. Lets see where this one goes but I suspect the days of 'free' air shows are coming to an end.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Scotch tape wrote:It's deeper than that....following the BADA seminar it's highly likely that air show organisers will be forced into policing areas surrounding their airfields and display areas much more effectively. Even to the extent that if people start congregating in fields or roads nearby that the display could be suspended or cancelled. This has implications for notably RIAT and Duxford who have a problem with members of the public who don't wish to pay encroaching on private land to take photos directly under the display or approach departure lines. Not sure how they are expected to clear the fields or roads, generally the people who trespass don't really care too much about anyone else and are only too happy to voice that message to any organisers trying to keep the display safe and so the costs mount up. Lets see where this one goes but I suspect the days of air shows are coming to an end.

Fixed it for you. :up:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Scotch tape wrote: Even to the extent that if people start congregating in fields or roads nearby that the display could be suspended or cancelled. This has implications for notably RIAT and Duxford who have a problem with members of the public who don't wish to pay encroaching on private land to take photos directly under the display or approach departure lines.

Where are you going to draw the line for the display area and lines, the Reds cover a massive range including behind the crowdline, do you clear that and a channel down the centre of the crowd so they can make their first approach?

Do you evacuate Albrighton for Cosford show, all of Farnborough town and stop the golfers from playing for a week during the show? What happens for practice displays leading up to a show, I'm aware Duxford for example have practices, do you close the M11 then?

Lets be honest, its impossible to police like that. Yes, you can probably restrict "naughty fields" outside shows but you cannot stop others going about their daily routines.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I wonder if BADA is going to formulate a group response to these proposals, cant' see them taking it lying down. BADA is exactly the organization that we need to fight these charges. The naughty fields question was always going to be an issue. AFIK Duxford (village school) , Fairford (rhymes etc) and Farnborough ( well the entire town) would be the real losers as far as naughty fields. What the show organizers and CAA can do about people letting out their land to watch shows is a bit of a mystery where there is no law against this AFIK?

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Just emailed my Local MP (and filled in the CAA form), not that she (my local MP for Cannock) will respond as she never has done before on any subject.. If we do not do this though......Who else can we send a copy of the letter to that UKAR have provided? Recon Dave has time to read it???

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

farnboroughrob wrote:I wonder if BADA is going to formulate a group response to these proposals, cant' see them taking it lying down.

To save double-posting it , see my post here : http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67440&p=708926#p708926
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

jonny7

Post by jonny7 »

This information any good on the matter,or share more light... :hypno:

http://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/Consultat ... n-charges/ click factsheet on the page

another link for the factsheet in case the first one doesn't open http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/fac ... harges.pdf
Don't say something crass, to hide your envy. Just give credit, when its applicable...

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

The latest media coverage means the whole UK aviation heritage/leisure sector is about to take a massive hit:

http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/over-ha ... aV.twitter

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/a ... 704277.ece (Sorry, the last one is fire-walled)

So, rather than a carefully considered safety review, someone decided to butcher a whole industry (enjoyed by 6 million people a year in the UK) because they wanted to 'recover' unfunded annual costs of £250,000.

Question:
Do you know how much you would raise if you charged EACH passenger moving through UK airports each year just ONE TENTH of ONE penny?

Answer £241, 332 (2015 CAA figures)

I rather think someone doesn't like airshows, don't you??

Write to your MP, contact your local newspaper, 'phone your radio station, email your favourite aviation magazine - but for God's sake DO something, or the next time you Google 'UK airshows' all you might get is **crickets**

Oh, and you MIGHT just mention the massive hit that Service charities, local good causes and your air ambulance is going to suffer - and if the whole aviation sector shrinks, watch out for airfields being sold off and turned into housing estates faster than you can say 'BBMF'!
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Update:

Good, considered, editorial from 'Pilot', setting out why the CAA is wrong.

http://www.pilotweb.aero/news/pilot_cha ... letterlink

However, the CAA is still looking to cancel at least 150 airshows.

Yes, you heard right - a 50% cull will take place, and you simply know that quite a few of these - once cancelled - will not be coming back.

There's a word for this.

Butchery, ladies and gentlemen, butchery...........
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Would suggest everyone reads this piece by BADA and the Honourable Company of Air Pilots

http://www.bada-uk.com/2016/03/joint-st ... sociation/