DCS: Flanker

Discuss and share resources with fellow gamers
boff180
UKAR Staff

DCS: Flanker

Post by boff180 »

The Su-27 from Lock On/Flaming Cliffs has received the DCS treatment.

Now available for pre purchase as a standalone module (FC3 owners will get it free as an update).

The aircraft update includes new cockpit, better computers, AFM and a host of other goodies. Best of all a FCS override mode allowing you to perform proper Cobras!!!!

Andy

Agg
UKAR Staff

Re: DCS: Flanker

Post by Agg »

It's important to note that it's not a DCS aircraft, which is why it's called "Su-27 Flanker for DCS World" and not "DCS Flanker". It has a professional level flight model, but not a clickable cockpit and in depth avionics like the A-10C. I would have loved a DCS level Flanker though, I love flipping switches and learning the different procedures. I am looking forward to the Flanker though, will be great to atempt a Cobra :P

DaveM

Post by DaveM »

boff180 wrote:The Su-27 from Lock On/Flaming Cliffs has received the DCS treatment.
Now available for pre purchase as a standalone module (FC3 owners will get it free as an update).

:biggrin: FC3 on Steam Sale was worth partaking in then...

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

DaveM wrote:
boff180 wrote:The Su-27 from Lock On/Flaming Cliffs has received the DCS treatment.

:biggrin: FC3 on Steam Sale was worth partaking in then...

Yes. It's only going to get better as any updates such as cockpits or FMs will be free to FC3 owners.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

So how is everyone finding the Flanker update?

Personally I'm finding the pilot in the cockpit a pain and the trim system far too aggressive for an aircraft that's Fly by Wire. I've had to map trim up and down to my joystick as it needs constant alteration especially on take-off. Also finding the IRST next to useless.

Direct mode is fun if you learn how to use it, you can do far more than Cobra's. My personal favourite is a back flip!

Watch you don't pull too much negative g (especially in direct mode) there seems to be a bug that if you end up inverted pulling negative G either the engines cut of the controls just cease to respond.... making you fall like a stone.

Forgive the Darth Vader breath (I have a bad cold) but here's a few replay of a back flip tonight filmed on my iphone.....
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... 1575115587

Andy

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

I like it, there are some bugs, like you say, but overall I really like it :)

The biggest problem for me is the landing gear. Either the Flanker is accelerating too fast, or there is a bug with the landing gear. As it is right now the landing gear wont retract at speeds above 440-450 km/h, which means that if you keep the burner on while climbing after take off then the gear wont retract...

How are you doing the back flip? The closest thing I have come to doing a back flip is to climb at a bit more than 90 degrees, and when the air speed drops the aircraft flips over, but yours look better.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The way I'm doing the back flips is as follows....

Go ballistic at around 85 to 89 degrees, when you are at the desired safe altitude, cut the throttle. Use the stick and rudder to prevent any roll and yaw.... apply slight back stick as the aircraft slows to maintain the same attitude.
At the moment bitching betty says "minimum speed" enter direct mode (S key) at the same time as inputting a hard and fast full back stick..... hold the stick back.... instant back flip.... the second the flip is complete, exit direct mode or you will be on a rollercoaster ride blacked out lol

Andy

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Cool, I'll have a try at that when I get home from work :)

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Not as nerve-wracking as doing it in a Black Shark though.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016