Future DCS noob

Future DCS noob

Postby jalfrezi on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 11:13 am

Having just splashed out on a joystick and pedals, I'm looking to get back into flight sims after a long absence. So, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice for DCS. I see it can be downloaded on Steam, or straight from the DCS website; does anyone have any recommendations as to which method I should use, as I believe they aren't interchangeable when it comes to the modules?

Though having just started Elite: Dangerous, it may be a while before I put any serious time into anything else!
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Re: Future DCS noob

Postby boff180 on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 6:11 pm

Download direct from DCS, it can take a while for modules to appear on Steam.
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby jalfrezi on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 7:17 pm

Thanks Andy :up:
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby ColeTheDemolisher on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 9:33 pm

boff180 wrote:Download direct from DCS, it can take a while for modules to appear on Steam.

+1 :smile:
Uniden UBC125XLT

The Jacket kid

Sorry Goose, but its time to Buzz the tower...

Dudley, West Midlands
ColeTheDemolisher

Postby Wissam24 on Tue 05 Dec 2017, 12:10 pm

Actually with the new DRM system they're switching to the overlap won't be as severe in the future but it's still better to use the DCS client rather than Steam as it's easier to mod (plus you have access to the betas and alphas, though you probably won't be looking at that right now!)
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby jalfrezi on Fri 08 Dec 2017, 9:10 am

Thanks for the advice guys.

Had a go with the P-51 startup training - took about 10 mins to get the bloody thing started! I then proceeded to have a go at take-off before taking the lesson, didn't realise you need left aileron on take-off or the thing pulls to the right, just managed to avoid hopping and skipping into a bush at the end of the runway!

Didn't try landing it, as I thought that might be pushing my luck...
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby Wissam24 on Fri 08 Dec 2017, 11:21 am

Out of interest, what's your setup?

The P-51 is hard at first, but trust me when it comes to the Bf 109 or the Spitfire, it's like flying on easy mode! The thing with the taildraggers is it's all about anticipating the plane's movements, but that takes a long time to pick up on.

Could always help you out in an MP session if you wanted?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby jalfrezi on Fri 08 Dec 2017, 4:55 pm

I've got a Warthog HOTAS and pedals, which is a great bit of kit - if a little on the pricey side, I'm sure I read that you've got the same setup.

I can imagine the Bf109 is a bit of a pig on the ground with it's narrow track, but I thought the Spitfire would be easier, is that not the case then?

MP session in the future could be an idea, still putting the hours into Elite at the moment though. Any idea when DCS v2.5 is likely to be released, as I might wait for that before I put the hours in?
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby ChrisShaw on Sat 09 Dec 2017, 7:51 pm

2.5 is rumoured to be before Christmas but with ED I would take that with a pinch of salt :-)
Chris Shaw Aviation and Wildlife Art
http://www.shaw-arts.co.uk
ChrisShaw

Return to Flight Simulators