Future DCS noob

Discuss and share resources with fellow gamers
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Future DCS noob

Post by jalfrezi »

Having just splashed out on a joystick and pedals, I'm looking to get back into flight sims after a long absence. So, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice for DCS. I see it can be downloaded on Steam, or straight from the DCS website; does anyone have any recommendations as to which method I should use, as I believe they aren't interchangeable when it comes to the modules?

Though having just started Elite: Dangerous, it may be a while before I put any serious time into anything else!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Future DCS noob

Post by boff180 »

Download direct from DCS, it can take a while for modules to appear on Steam.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Thanks Andy :up:

Cole

Post by Cole »

boff180 wrote:Download direct from DCS, it can take a while for modules to appear on Steam.

+1 :smile:
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Actually with the new DRM system they're switching to the overlap won't be as severe in the future but it's still better to use the DCS client rather than Steam as it's easier to mod (plus you have access to the betas and alphas, though you probably won't be looking at that right now!)
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Thanks for the advice guys.

Had a go with the P-51 startup training - took about 10 mins to get the bloody thing started! I then proceeded to have a go at take-off before taking the lesson, didn't realise you need left aileron on take-off or the thing pulls to the right, just managed to avoid hopping and skipping into a bush at the end of the runway!

Didn't try landing it, as I thought that might be pushing my luck...

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Out of interest, what's your setup?

The P-51 is hard at first, but trust me when it comes to the Bf 109 or the Spitfire, it's like flying on easy mode! The thing with the taildraggers is it's all about anticipating the plane's movements, but that takes a long time to pick up on.

Could always help you out in an MP session if you wanted?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I've got a Warthog HOTAS and pedals, which is a great bit of kit - if a little on the pricey side, I'm sure I read that you've got the same setup.

I can imagine the Bf109 is a bit of a pig on the ground with it's narrow track, but I thought the Spitfire would be easier, is that not the case then?

MP session in the future could be an idea, still putting the hours into Elite at the moment though. Any idea when DCS v2.5 is likely to be released, as I might wait for that before I put the hours in?

ChrisShaw

Post by ChrisShaw »

2.5 is rumoured to be before Christmas but with ED I would take that with a pinch of salt :-)
Chris Shaw Aviation and Wildlife Art
http://www.shaw-arts.co.uk

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

ChrisShaw wrote:2.5 is rumoured to be before Christmas but with ED I would take that with a pinch of salt :-)

Well, it said "in the coming weeks". I would read that as being before Christmas though. Perhaps they'll spoil us!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

jalfrezi wrote:I've got a Warthog HOTAS and pedals, which is a great bit of kit - if a little on the pricey side, I'm sure I read that you've got the same setup.

I can imagine the Bf109 is a bit of a pig on the ground with it's narrow track, but I thought the Spitfire would be easier, is that not the case then?

MP session in the future could be an idea, still putting the hours into Elite at the moment though. Any idea when DCS v2.5 is likely to be released, as I might wait for that before I put the hours in?

I do indeed have the same setup, works wonders. You've got the top range stuff then, you'll be able to have a crack at all the various types then.

The Spit has just as narrow a track as the 109, and also has a fairly annoying brake system.

To be fair, 2.5 won't bring a whole lot that's new past the new maps, better graphics and technical upgrades, the gameplay will be the same.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

If you want fun and to learn the (very) basics of the game, I’d suggest buying the Flaming Cliffs 3 module... it’s good value.

That includes the following modules in one package, some have recently been upgraded with more accurate flight profiles -

F-15C - upgraded, air refuelable
A-10A - upgraded, air refuelable
Su-25A - upgraded
Su-27A - upgraded, cobra.etc capable (if you don’t rip the wings off)
Su-33 - upgraded, carrier capable, emergency throttle setting, air refuelable, cobra.etc capable
Mig-29A
Mig-29G
Mig-29S

Then learn a more technically accurate/simulated module either the A-10C, Mirage 2000C or the Viggen. The former being specifically the reason why your stick set up exists!

Harrier is next on the list for me :-)

Then the Hornet when it gets decent, the alpha release is going to be missing some key features of the aircraft.

Andy

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Well, I wouldn't say the FC3 stuff is a "first step". Actually I'd say learning on the full-fidelity stuff first is the better way to go (especially as you've already jumped in with the Mustang) so you get used to how systems interoperate, and you experience DCS to its fullest extent. The FC3 stuff is fun for a lark, especially the Flanker and Frogfoot (the F-15 is kind of dull and the A-10A is just a pared down version of the A-10C module) but nothing like the simulation of the other modules.

Out of interest, do you have headtracking Nick?

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I've certainly been impressed with both the Warthog and DCS, which is a massive step up from the old days of TFX and EF2000 :lol: Flaming Cliffs is certainly on the list to get, but the original draw for me was the A-10C and the Harrier, oh and the MiG-21, Mirage 2000, Viggen, and a bunch of others!

No head tracking at the moment, but I just had a look at the TrackIR site and it looks pretty impressive, so it will probably be a future purchase some time soon.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Yeah. The best option is to simply pick an aircraft that appeals to you, and learn it! It's not like you have to pay for the planes you crash while learning. I'd recommend the MiG-21 - it's that perfect mix of challenging flying, old-skool systems, steam gauges and potency. Plus plenty of buttons in the cockpit to click! I learnt on the A-10C, which was a fantastic jump in at the deep end. I don't think I'd have really enjoyed DCS as much if I'd learnt on the FC3 - I'd have written it off as too simplistic and been too afraid to jump into the study-sim modules. Binding stuff to peripherals like you have to do in FC3 (or worse - use the keyboard :O) is really dull and goes against the point of DCS as a sim.

Headtracking is a game-changer. I literally could not play without it now, it simply takes simming to a much, much higher level, second only to VR.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

So with the proper sim aircraft like the A-10C; are the in game tutorials comprehensive enough to teach you to fly the aircraft properly, or do you need to study a manual?!

My plan is to also learn on the A-10C, as that's what the stick was designed for. Once I've learned that then I should be able to transfer to other types, and configure the HOTAS and stick in a similar way, that's the plan anyway.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

jalfrezi wrote:So with the proper sim aircraft like the A-10C; are the in game tutorials comprehensive enough to teach you to fly the aircraft properly, or do you need to study a manual?!

My plan is to also learn on the A-10C, as that's what the stick was designed for. Once I've learned that then I should be able to transfer to other types, and configure the HOTAS and stick in a similar way, that's the plan anyway.

With the A-10C - absolutely, that's how I learnt it. With the others, it really depends on the state of the module and the developer. I have to confess it's been a while since I learnt from tutorial missions, so I don't really know, but if the missions aren't in the sim, you'll find pretty comprehensive video tutorials on Youtube for pretty much every single module. What I haven't worked out for myself I've learnt from Youtube. But you'll definitely get what you need with the Hog tutorial missions.

However, it's always a good idea to study the manual as well! It's an essential part of simming at this level, especially with the more complex features of various aircraft. For example, being able to reference tables of what the various HOTAS buttons do in whatever contexts is vital.

Good plan though. You'll really be qualified for DCS once you've got to grips - pun absolutely intended - with the Warthog. In fact most other aircraft will seem simple in comparison! Gotta learn those emergency procedures by heart bud

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

jalfrezi wrote:So with the proper sim aircraft like the A-10C; are the in game tutorials comprehensive enough to teach you to fly the aircraft properly, or do you need to study a manual?!

I dunno Sam, I always enjoyed working "up" to A-10C via Flaming Cliffs. Felt like it lowered the learning curve.

Chuck's Guides (third party how to manuals) are excellent for learning the main aspects of flying most of the modules. They're step by step with annotated screenshots. They also suggest how to set up your Warthog to as close as possible match the real HOTAS controls in the jet.

The guides for the Mirage and F-5 are excellent and I've never had to refer to the manual once. The one for the Viggen will get you flying but does miss out how to manually program the Nav system and what all the codes are for programming the RB15.etc - concentrating on just a single code that you most commonly use.

F-5 Chuck's Guide:- https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uSpZ ... RONWc/view
Mirage 2000:- https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-uSpZ ... dMcTg/view

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Thanks for all the tips and advice, much appreciated. :joystick:

ChrisShaw

Post by ChrisShaw »

Also flying with others and talking via Teamspeak, simple radio or Discord is a great way to learn. I thought that I had the A-10 C sussed but after flying on Open Conflict (no longer there) and talking to a few other players it turned out that I knew nothing about the Hog. :smile:
Chris Shaw Aviation and Wildlife Art
http://www.shaw-arts.co.uk

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Yep, you learn a lot from other players. You learnt o fly better too - things like learning how to hold formation teach you finer aircraft control, for example.