How to come back from Model Block

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
ArabJazzie

How to come back from Model Block

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello all,
I would not say this was fully down to model block, but ive really not been in the mood to sit at the table. Have had so many false starts over the last couple of months where ive sorted the kit storage in the hope of gaining inspiration. Ive even bought a Roden VC-10 K4, a Airfix Phantom and Sea Fury in the same vein, but i couldnt get that spark to ignite the fire. An Airfix Sabre broke out a couple of times and managed to build itself over 2 sessions.

Looking for where my new tin of Halfords Grey Plastic Primer had been moved to, i found a box that was storing 3 new tool Airfix Harrier GR7/9 kits, 2 of which were earmarked for special schemes, and the 3rd earmarked for something else. That something else saw the rear fuselage built, the tail removed and the nose butchered. At this point, my bridge camera was not accepting cards and i damaged my small DSLR lens so no pics of progress. The other night i had a root around the bridge camera with a pair of tweezers and soon had it working again.

So over the last couple of weeks, i have managed to remove an old Airfix Harrier T10 nose and fin from its fuselage and graft this onto the rear fuselage of a new tool Harrier GR9.

ImageHarrier T10 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

Im not saying that this will be 100% accurate in the end, but i thought it was a good idea at the time. The GR9 fuselage, intakes back, was built as per the instructions with the rear section of the forward fuselage cut 2/3rds down the line of the intake leading edges. The lower third was cut further forward at a bulkhead because of the nosewheel bay and in the hope it provided some strength. The differing moulding of the T10 meant the nose had to be removed from the fuselage halfs then fettled until they fitted its new home. The work put in meant that i only had to replace a sliver of plastic to fill a slot that showed up, the lower fuselage only needed minor adjustment and the hump on top of the intakes required the smallest smear of filler. The T10 nose was removed and the new GR9 nose fitted in place.

Fingers crossed i can keep this going.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

iainpeden

Re: How to come back from Model Block

Post by iainpeden »

If you're suffering a lack of mojo don't go anywhere near the Airfix Phantom - it's a horror story. (see comments on Britmodeller for clarification.)
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Wah? Buddy of mine Built it and had spectacular result. No complaints at all.

If you read a review about every model on the internet you would not build anything at all.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

That was from personal experience; it seems to be a kit which either goes together brilliantly or takes a short flight to the bin.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

iainpeden wrote:If you're suffering a lack of mojo don't go anywhere near the Airfix Phantom - it's a horror story. (see comments on Britmodeller for clarification.)

Thanks Ian,
I am seeing mixed messages about the Phantom, but i think what i have been needing is a challenge! I think that is why i have progressed this one so quickly so i may just get the Phantom on the table after this and some from the shelf of doom are finished.
Arabest,
Geoff.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Every Kit seem to be a Challenge these days as the Struggle for Perfection continues, God knows a lot of my stuff is binned too killing the Mojo!!

Just finishing and Italeri F-14A 1/48 what I thought would take 2-3 weeks, 4 months later it is getting ready for the decals!!

I usually find visiting a Model Show get the blood flowing again for a week for two!
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

twirl2688

Post by twirl2688 »

A serious lack of Mojo here with me as well. got to be at least 2 years now since I have done anything. Good news though is there is the faintest glimmer that the Mojo is coming back. Hope to start building again soon and get back into the swing of things.

Scott
what is the significance of that flag

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello all,
Like i said in the other thread, manflu killed mojo who had a resurgence when the shelf of doom was evaluated. Excepting the Spitfires and B-17G still in progress from those threads, Im gonna keep my efforts of decimating the shelf of doom up to date on this thread. So with 34 as a start, 3 vehicles were culled due storage damage, 2 vehicles were finished poorly, so that leaves 25 aircraft and vehicles remaining to get finished! :oops:

One that was close to a finish was a new tool 1/72 Airfix Martlet IV. I started this when the B-17G was in progress as i had been impressed by initial reports as to how good it was to build. All i can say is i had no issues whatsoever with the build and here it is all folded up as FN142/09-P with 888NAS on board HMS Formidable during November 1941.

ImageFN14209P01 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

ImageFN14209P02 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

Had an issue with one of the F-in serials and lost the prop decals so will have to revisit them now that they are found again!

Next up is an AV-8A, AV-8S, Sabre F4 and the Harrier T10 that started this thread. After that its a Lightning and a pile of vehicles before i start hitting some long term inmates of the shelf of doom.
Arabest,
Geoff.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello again all,
I think what follows is a demonstration of the like i have for modern Airfix products.

First up is the AV-8A boxing of the new tool 1/72 Harrier GR1/3. This was purchased as soon as it came out but i didnt want to build it until i had another one as i wanted to build the AV-8S at the same time, but then i ended up with 2 extras! Resisted the temptation for a triple build and finished these over the last week.

AV-8A 158976/5 of VMA-513 USMC based at Misawa during 1976.
ImageAV8A1589762 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

ImageAV8A158976 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

Next is AV-8S Matador of the Spanish Navy.
ImageAV8S01008 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

ImageAV8S010082 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

Next up is a kit that gets a fair bit of criticism but one i really like seen as this is the 6th 1/72nd F-86F i have built, this time using decals from a Modeldecal sheet i aquired. There is a fair few choices on that sheet so i may see my way to build some more.

This time its finished as Sabre 4 XD727/D of 92sqn based at Linton-on-ouse during 1955. Roundels came from another Airfix kit with serials form another Modeldecals sheet.
ImageF86FXD727D by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

ImageF86FXD727D2 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

Next up is the Harrier T12, the Lightning F6, a pile of RAF WWII support vehicles, then i will have to buy a set of masks for the B-17G and get on with that. However, this fell into my hands last week at the Dundee Model Show and had to be bought!
ImageEduard16s by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

Its the Eduard 1/72 Spitfire XVI Dual Combo limited edition to build a high and low back out of the box. With the decal sheet being rather large, and the sprues containing quite a few spares, this will see the AZ T9 making it over the finishing line!
Arabest,
Geoff.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello again everyone,
With the Spits getting along quite well, that also dragged the Harrier T10 /12 towards the end.

ImageHarrierT10107 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

The paint has been a delight for once! I used Humbrol 165 acrylic Medium Sea Grey thinned with Tamiya, which i have had issues with in the past, but this is from the tiny pots that you get with the gift sets and i have had zero issues.

Looking to get this finished early in the week to move onto the next victim of the Shelf of Doom!
Arabest,
Geoff.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello all,
A wee bit of progress on the 'arrier T10 in amongst other builds.

ImageHART10ZH859 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

Painted using a small pot of Humbrol 165 and decals from Model Alliance Harrier farewell sheet. Should see this one to a finish this week.
Arabest,
Geoff.