Hannants, nothing but robbing *********

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
scotthldr

Hannants, nothing but robbing *********

Post by scotthldr »

Well, today I've finally seen Hannants for their true colours.

On Thursday I ordered up the parts for my next build from 2 different suppliers

The first one was from Eaglemodels and the order consisted of

Aires F16D Cockpit
CMK F16 conversion
TwoBobs Decal sheet

The second order was from Hannants and consisted of

Aires F16 Exhaust
Aires F16 Wheel Bays
Isracast F16 600ltr Tanks

Both orders arrived today in good nick and complete, so whats the problem I hear you say.

Well here it is

As you can see both packages are similar in size with the one from Hannants being about an inch smaller, the weight of the Hannants packet was about 50g heavier but still within the 500g pricing bracket that Royal Mail sets for this size of package.

Eaglemodels charged me £1.50 for 1st Class, but the actual cost of delivery was £2.14 as it says so on the postage label. So in a way I scored.

But wait for this

Hannants charged me £8.50 yes EIGHT POUND AND FIFTY BLEEDIN PENCE!!!!!! :mad:

How on earth can Hannants justify such an extortionate postage charge? To find out I phoned them today to complain and spoke to someone called Kenneth/Ken. He says because I asked for it to be dispatched the next day I was charged an extra £3.50, now the girl that took my order on Thursday quoted me this figure, but the way she put it across I thought she meant that would be the cost of postage which I was fine with.

What they didn't say was that they also charge £5.00 standard postage for orders up to the value of £25.00, but hold on isn't that still over double what the actual cost of postage is. It seems to me that not only do Hannants like keeping their customers waiting 2 weeks for standard delivery and that's if they have the items in stock in the first place, but they are also hell bent in screwing you for every pound they can.

So was Kenneth/Ken interested in my complaint......... No!! he didn't give a ****, probably because they don't charge for complaints. YET!!

It just goes to show that Hannants a company that relied for years on a loyal customer base(before the net explosion) and made them the company that they are today, have actually forgot that simple rule. Their customers may be loyal but one thing for sure is that Hannants aren't loyal to their customers.

So Mr Hannant here's to you :loser: :loser: :loser: :loser: enjoy that £7.00 as it's the last you will be getting from me.

and to

Mr Eaglemodel you can have my money anyday for providing an excellent and honest service to be proud of :clap: :clap: :clap:

Scott

hunterxf382

Re: Hannants, nothing but robbing *********

Post by hunterxf382 »

So from what your rant says - you "assumed" but didn't check the correct postage.....

And Hannants website does clearly state the P&P and minium order values applicable:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/html/?p=info.html

Personally, I would double check ALL the costs before ordering from anywhere... :question:
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

scotthldr wrote:...the girl that took my order on Thursday quoted me this figure, but the way she put it across I thought she meant that would be the cost of postage which I was fine with.

...er...

Anyway nice bright yellow invoice enclosed bags don't pay for themselves you know :whistle:

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

hunterxf382 wrote:So from what your rant says - you "assumed" but didn't check the correct postage.....

And Hannants website does clearly state the P&P and minium order values applicable:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/html/?p=info.html

Personally, I would double check ALL the costs before ordering from anywhere... :question:

So you think charging someone £8.50 for something that costs £2.14 is ok. The order was placed over the phone so I didn't see the postage costs before hand or I wouldn't have ordered from them, as I said the girl said £3.50 she didn't mention that was on top of what they charge as standard which is still more than double.

RoverDriver

Post by RoverDriver »

o
Last edited by RoverDriver on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

scotthldr wrote:So you think charging someone £8.50 for something that costs £2.14 is ok.

I never mentioned my thoughts on the actual cost - please re-read my message and do not assume that I stated any approval or dis-approval of the actual cost - thank you.....
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

hunterxf382 wrote:
scotthldr wrote:So you think charging someone £8.50 for something that costs £2.14 is ok.

I never mentioned my thoughts on the actual cost - please re-read my message and do not assume that I stated any approval or dis-approval of the actual cost - thank you.....

Well you obviously don't disapprove or you would've said so. Thanks for your input anyway.

Scott

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

I must say i'm inclined to agree with you Scott- hannants have no idea about what keeps customers happy, and rely purely on the 'cornering the market' strategy. 'If you want it, you'll pay what we tell you to pay' strategy seems to be their strategy, and unfortunately, they are making a few quid extra while alienating those who are likely to want to buy stuff. However, all the time the keep advertising things they don't have in stock, that you can't get hardly anywhere, you have to use them on the off-chance.

Did Shaun ever get his skyray?
Matt hates Photo Etch as of today

Craig

Post by Craig »

mattlaker wrote:I must say i'm inclined to agree with you Scott- hannants have no idea about what keeps customers happy, and rely purely on the 'cornering the market' strategy. 'If you want it, you'll pay what we tell you to pay' strategy seems to be their strategy, and unfortunately, they are making a few quid extra while alienating those who are likely to want to buy stuff. However, all the time the keep advertising things they don't have in stock, that you can't get hardly anywhere, you have to use them on the off-chance.

You're absolutely right Matt, bottom line is no matter what you think of Hannants there's a lot of stuff you just can't get anywhere else. Bit of competition may make them up their game, but as it is I find I HAVE to use them for a lot of aftermarket stuff.

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

Craig wrote:
mattlaker wrote:I must say i'm inclined to agree with you Scott- hannants have no idea about what keeps customers happy, and rely purely on the 'cornering the market' strategy. 'If you want it, you'll pay what we tell you to pay' strategy seems to be their strategy, and unfortunately, they are making a few quid extra while alienating those who are likely to want to buy stuff. However, all the time the keep advertising things they don't have in stock, that you can't get hardly anywhere, you have to use them on the off-chance.

You're absolutely right Matt, bottom line is no matter what you think of Hannants there's a lot of stuff you just can't get anywhere else. Bit of competition may make them up their game, but as it is I find I HAVE to use them for a lot of aftermarket stuff.

I don't know if it would- they seem so arrogant and deluded as to believe they are above the competition.
Matt hates Photo Etch as of today

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Yes I did get my Skyray.......7 months after I ordered the bugger!!

I've been placing a few orders with Hannants of late as it's the only way I can get Xtracolor (fairly) reliably. Neither order has taken more than a week to arrive, so maybe they're improving in this aspect, or I've been lucky....I suspect the latter.....
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

Seamus wrote:Yes I did get my Skyray.......7 months after I ordered the bugger!!

Not as good as my little episode a few years back with some Hurricane photoetch...eighteen bloody months later it turned up! :shock:

Mr Flibble
UKAR Staff

Post by Mr Flibble »

Seamus wrote:Yes I did get my Skyray.......7 months after I ordered the bugger!!

I've been placing a few orders with Hannants of late as it's the only way I can get Xtracolor (fairly) reliably. Neither order has taken more than a week to arrive, so maybe they're improving in this aspect, or I've been lucky....I suspect the latter.....

Have you tried wonderland models for Xtra.... paints, Seamus?

I ususally go to them for Xtracrylix as they seem to have what I want in stock all the time!

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Random wrote:Not as good as my little episode a few years back with some Hurricane photoetch...eighteen bloody months later it turned up! :shock:

Piss poor really, I've still got an aeroculb MB Mk 9 on back order from August, so we'll see how that pans out....

I'm also still waiting for a Hobby Boss He 162 from SBX, must be getting on for 10 months now. Only £4, but it's the principal- what's really annoying is even after e-mailing the guy, who says he'll get it out, I'm still waiting.....Also took them a couple of months to send out an etch set for the Super Hornet I built last year, hardly stellar service :(

Mr Flibble wrote:Have you tried wonderland models for Xtra.... paints, Seamus?

I usually go to them for Xtracrylix as they seem to have what I want in stock all the time!

Didn't realise wonderland stocked them, will have to look that up. The only other place I know of selling them online is SBX, but I won't order from them for the aforementioned reason :roll:
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

Mr Flibble
UKAR Staff

Post by Mr Flibble »

I say "usually" - but I've only ordered a couple times.

But I will add this because I was happy - I received a wrong colour in my first order so I emailed them and they sent the correct pot out to me quickly with no further charge. Really happy with the way they rectified it and the delivery times have been good too.

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Wonderland Models in Edinburgh stock the full range of Xtracolor enamels. That's where I get mine from ever since Hannants started this no kit no paints malarkey, and the service is very good as well with turn around of 2-4 days.

Craig wrote:
mattlaker wrote: but as it is I find I HAVE to use them for a lot of aftermarket stuff.

You'll be surprised but you don't have to use them. I used to rely on them myself but since I got back into the modelling lark this time round and with the Internet, I would say that Hannants only got about 10% of what I bought. That's now dropped to 0%.

I order stuff from all over the globe, Australia, Switzerland, Sweden, Canada, France, Hong Kong, Brazil, Italy, Poland, Czech Rep, Japan, USA, Netherlands, Greece and Israel, Ok some suppliers I wouldn't deal with again but most I would, no problem. If anyone needs any info on where to get AM stuff or info on a business just drop me a PM and if I've used them I'll tell you what the service was like.

What type of aftermarket stuff is it that you buy anyway Craig?

I spoke to Steve at Eaglemodels on Saturday and he may be prepared to offer members of UKAR a discount, he is going to look into it first. The Eaglemodels site is well worth a visit, and if you don't see what you want drop him a line and he will try his hardest to get it. Top bloke, top service :clap:

phantomdriver

Post by phantomdriver »

Steve Earle (Eagle Models) gets my vote every time- quick, and sometimes charges less postage than on the online total :clap:

Craig

Post by Craig »

scotthldr wrote:Wonderland Models in Edinburgh stock the full range of Xtracolor enamels. That's where I get mine from ever since Hannants started this no kit no paints malarkey, and the service is very good as well with turn around of 2-4 days.

Craig wrote:
mattlaker wrote: but as it is I find I HAVE to use them for a lot of aftermarket stuff.

You'll be surprised but you don't have to use them. I used to rely on them myself but since I got back into the modelling lark this time round and with the Internet, I would say that Hannants only got about 10% of what I bought. That's now dropped to 0%.

I order stuff from all over the globe, Australia, Switzerland, Sweden, Canada, France, Hong Kong, Brazil, Italy, Poland, Czech Rep, Japan, USA, Netherlands, Greece and Israel, Ok some suppliers I wouldn't deal with again but most I would, no problem. If anyone needs any info on where to get AM stuff or info on a business just drop me a PM and if I've used them I'll tell you what the service was like.

What type of aftermarket stuff is it that you buy anyway Craig?

I spoke to Steve at Eaglemodels on Saturday and he may be prepared to offer members of UKAR a discount, he is going to look into it first. The Eaglemodels site is well worth a visit, and if you don't see what you want drop him a line and he will try his hardest to get it. Top bloke, top service :clap:

Well the stuff I do is pretty much exclusively postwar/contemporary RAF, decals, bang seats and detail sets are the main ones. There seems to be plenty of places do USAF modern stuff, but the RAF? ones do seem harder to find :smile:

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Craig wrote:Well the stuff I do is pretty much exclusively postwar/contemporary RAF, decals, bang seats and detail sets are the main ones. There seems to be plenty of places do USAF modern stuff, but the RAF? ones do seem harder to find :smile:

What is contemporary RAF? :grin: Can you give me a couple of examples.

Craig

Post by Craig »

scotthldr wrote:
Craig wrote:Well the stuff I do is pretty much exclusively postwar/contemporary RAF, decals, bang seats and detail sets are the main ones. There seems to be plenty of places do USAF modern stuff, but the RAF? ones do seem harder to find :smile:

Tornado F3, Jaguar, Typhoon, Sea King, VC-10, Tornado GR4, Bucc, Lightning, Hunter, that sort of kit, as I said, current kit plus going back into Cold War :smile:

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Craig wrote:
scotthldr wrote:

Tornado F3, Jaguar, Typhoon, Sea King, VC-10, Tornado GR4, Bucc, Lightning, Hunter, that sort of kit, as I said, current kit plus going back into Cold War :smile:

Aahhh ok then. Most of that subjects are covered by Model Alliance decals which are available from Fantasy Printshop. Eaglemodels stock Paragon/Palva/Aires which cover most of the bits you'll need in resin.

bimmerboy

Post by bimmerboy »

hi i never had a problem with hannants just phone gary drive 10 miles and pick it up when he phones me

flying_medic

Post by flying_medic »

scotthldr wrote:Wonderland Models in Edinburgh stock the full range of Xtracolor enamels. That's where I get mine from ever since Hannants started this no kit no paints malarkey, and the service is very good as well with turn around of 2-4 days.

I have to declare an interest here. F_M Junior is at Uni in Edinburgh and has managed to get a 'Saturday Job' at Wonderland and is involved in picking, packing and despatching online orders. He sometimes gets extra days when they are busy, earning more money. So if you guys keep ordering stuff from Wonderland, he'll earn more, and I won't have to send him so much money each month! :yahoo: :lol:

Just don't come to me if he gets your order wrong or there's a delay. :whistle:

F_M
Last edited by flying_medic on Mon 12 Apr 2010, 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

flying_medic wrote:I have to declare an interest here. My son is at Uni in Edinburgh and has managed to get a 'Saturday Job' at Wonderland and is involved in picking, packing and despatching online orders. He sometimes gets extra days when they are busy, earning more money. So if you guys keep ordering stuff from Wonderland, he'll earn more, and I won't have to send him so much money each month! :yahoo: :lol:

Just don't come to me if he gets your order wrong or there's a delay. :whistle:

F_M

:grin: :grin: More importantly does he get a discount on items :smile: UKAR bulk orders via FM :grin:

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Now very impressed with Wonderland, order placed Friday night, arrived this morning! :smile: :clap: