micro sol

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
davidm

micro sol

Post by davidm »

i keep hereing of this micro sol stuff for helping put decals on. where do you get this from?
and is it easy to use?

Cheers
David

TS010

Re: micro sol

Post by TS010 »

Hannants is the obvious choice, but many companies stock it. There is a few different makes of setting solution. Daco for example offer their solutions in three strenghts. Do a bit of research before you use whichever solution you buy, as some makes of decal don't like certain setting solutions.
WIWOL

cammophile

Post by cammophile »

Do a bit of research before you use whichever solution you buy, as some makes of decal don't like certain setting solutions.

i have had no probs with it- up until the Trumpeter Sea Fury 1/72. the fuselage band was a bit tricky so i had to keep repositioning them to get a good alignment. but the microsol melted the decals :shock:
after that i just used water and they went on fine. the Trumpeter Wyvern i did with micro-sol didn't have any probs though the decals. so i have been a bit wary since and just use it if the decal is being awkward.

there is also micro-soft for helping decals get around tricky bumps and bends

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

Personally, i love microsol, and have had no problems with it! It is really easy to use- all you do is position the decal, and then just brush it on, and leave it alone. pulls the decal into the panel lines, and gives them the painted on look. Give it a go and see how you get on!!!
Matt hates Photo Etch as of today

davidm

Post by davidm »

i have just ordered some
Cheers peeps :biggrin:

raiford

Post by raiford »

does it dry with a matt look or does it look glossy?, sorry, I have'nt used it either, but I am also going to give it a go. :smile:

cammophile

Post by cammophile »

It doesn't really- it isn't like Klear that will dry gloss, it just softens the decal. One thing worth pointing out is that sometimes it will fog the Klear varnish. panic ye not! when you recoat with klear it goes away, so it isn't a problem.

after my experience with the fuselage band on the Trumpy Sea Fury i stopped using it as it wasn't necessary, and the decals settled nicely without it. However, it is a good idea as Matt says to have this or a similar system just in case the decals are naughty. get the micro set for general purpose application, and micro sol for irregular surfaces in conjunction with the micro set.

on my next build (revell Wessex) i tried the decals with water only and they settled into the panel lines really well.

but there was a bumpy thing (Naval technical term) below the side window(ROYAL NAVY) - IIRC i only needed the micro set and the decals conformed really well

but again these were nice decals to work with. another set of decals may have required the persuassive powers of the solution :grin: worth having just in case.