De Havilland Mosquito PR 32

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
AirfixMark

De Havilland Mosquito PR 32

Post by AirfixMark »

Hi all,

A friend of mine has been asked to build one of these, but is lacking on information for this mark of Mosquito. He is off to the De Havilland Museum this weekend to pick their brains, but could any one here provide details for things like correct colour, markings and so forth. Alternatively if you know of a good book to use as reference, or just a point in the right direction, then could you let us know. any help is appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mark.

FarnboroJohn

Re: De Havilland Mosquito PR 32

Post by FarnboroJohn »

AirfixMark wrote:Hi all,

A friend of mine has been asked to build one of these, but is lacking on information for this mark of Mosquito. He is off to the De Havilland Museum this weekend to pick their brains, but could any one here provide details for things like correct colour, markings and so forth. Alternatively if you know of a good book to use as reference, or just a point in the right direction, then could you let us know. any help is appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mark.

Several were based at RAF Leuchars with the PR unit there. This was late 1944/early 45 so its a fair bet they were PRU Blue. Mosquito by C Martin Sharp and Michael J F Bowyer is the essential Mosquito reference with sections covering development, production and operations. Not so great on markings or illustrations of technical detail though there are some B&W diagrams.

This might help however (NB I don't have a copy so can't be certain):

http://www.historyofwar.org/bookpage/bo ... sance.html

Only five were built apparently so presumably the Leuchars detachment was the only one.

There are a few pix on the web but obviously all B&W. Good for styles and sizes of marking perhaps?

Hope this helps.

John

AirfixMark

Post by AirfixMark »

Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion. The book you suggested has been purchased as is on it's way. My friend and I went to the deHavilland museum Sunday, and by sheer coincidence, met, and had a guided tour of the Mosquito's there by Ian Thirsk, who wrote a couple of books about the Mossie, and was an invaluable source of information.

When the model has been made, I'll post a picture of it on here.

Again, many thanks

Mark.

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

I just got a revell 1/32 mossie so I'll be following intently

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

AirfixMark wrote:Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion. The book you suggested has been purchased as is on it's way. My friend and I went to the deHavilland museum Sunday, and by sheer coincidence, met, and had a guided tour of the Mosquito's there by Ian Thirsk, who wrote a couple of books about the Mossie, and was an invaluable source of information.

When the model has been made, I'll post a picture of it on here.

Again, many thanks

Mark.

Glad to help. I look forward to seeing the photo.

I must nip over to the De Havilland Museum soon, haven't been for years. According to the aviation magazines they hope to have the prototype fully reassembled for the anniversary of the first flight in November. If they are doing something special (e.g. lining up all three outside?) I'd like to see it. And, of course, photograph it.

John

AirfixMark

Post by AirfixMark »

Hi all,

Here is a link from the Airfix Modelling SIG forum, which features a photo of the Mosquito, plus a review of the event by it's builder Colin Marrow.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/AMSIG/topic/8078118/1/#new

Mark.