Airfix 1/24 Spitfire *Finished* Wohoo!

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
Fumbles

Airfix 1/24 Spitfire *Finished* Wohoo!

Post by Fumbles »

Well where do I start off.... Ohh yeah... What a piece of crap! :lol:

I bought this kit way back some time ago for a very cheap price of £15. I had heard about the fit problems and such, but damn! I didn't realise it was going to be this bad!
Anyway I plowed on with the build till I reached the wing join with the landing gear.... Guess what? There was one landing gear leg missing from the box. I emailed Hornby hobby in North America and it only took 6 weeks. But I got a replacement!

Anyways.... I'm now into the final push of this kit. Even with the problems, I have now reached the point of 'having to finish it!'

So two shots of where I am today. I think I gave to clean up Joe pilots face a little more though. He looks rather grimy.

rob68

Re: Airfix 1/24 Spitfire sofar! Yes.... That one

Post by rob68 »

I've read on a few forums it needs an additional spar or the wings sag, did you use one? I've got one of these to do, any advice appreciated

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Looks like the usual standard of finish is on the way!

Been scared off these with all the bad reports. You have not changed my mind yet!
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

I built one is these and it nearly made me quit.
It was awful and required techniques I simply didn't have and by the end I didn't care and was throwing
Plastic and paint at it.

Not filler but more like sculpting.

andyroot

Post by andyroot »

I've got the 1/24 air fix hurricane to build, hope it's not a bad to piece together as this! :confused:

NIGHTFIGHTER

Post by NIGHTFIGHTER »

Good lord, I have the 1/24 Stuka and Hurricane to do. Is this one of the new Airfix 1/24 or is it their old molds? Hope to god the fit is better in the new kits or im going to be pulling out what little hair I have left!!! Keep up the fight mate...Things can only get better..I hope

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Yep that's the 1/24 Airfix spit, I think it was a rerelease of a very version in a Christmas time set.
The hurricane I think is a better newer version.

If not buy some

- styrene
- filler
- sandpaper
- full star wars and Lord of the rings box sets
- 24 cans of your favourite beverage

And sit down and build yourself a hurricane from filler and small bits of plastic then whittle it into shape.
:smile:

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Here's what it looked like when I finally gave up, I used to to try weathering and a wash for the first time.

The decals silvered and the wheels could barely hold the model

If you wondered if you need a spar.

NIGHTFIGHTER

Post by NIGHTFIGHTER »

Dear o Dear mate, I tell you what given the kit you had to work with that's one hell of a job you did. I really cant see how Airfix (who are not novices in model production) can get it so wrong! All those models I posted in my thread (winters work) are very old Monogram/Revell or Pro-modeler. Well thanks to your excellent thread we can see, that some things don't change, Airfix are useless at large scale models...Put this one down to experience, and to think i've got 2 to make..when I get round to them I willl let you know how they go.

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Well if you look closer it ain't a pretty picture.
If the rest of the kit was ok you wouldn't mind having to adjust the wings with a scratch spar or bit of wire. But the rest ain't nice at all.

However it is a good challenge and it's better to have a go at some major surgery on a model that isn't expensive or going to turn out any other way than bad. :biggrin:

Good luck to you and fumbles

barkin mad

Post by barkin mad »

NIGHTFIGHTER wrote:Dear o Dear mate, I tell you what given the kit you had to work with that's one hell of a job you did. I really cant see how Airfix (who are not novices in model production) can get it so wrong! All those models I posted in my thread (winters work) are very old Monogram/Revell or Pro-modeler. Well thanks to your excellent thread we can see, that some things don't change, Airfix are useless at large scale models...Put this one down to experience, and to think i've got 2 to make..when I get round to them I willl let you know how they go.

Most of Airfix 1/24 kits are not of new molds so this may be true of them, The recent 1/24 Mosquito & Typhoon should both be excellent kits, in detail & fit.

-------------

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Yep the typhoon looks really high detail and a great build.
But i reckon they reboxed this and put it out as a Christmas special , as that's when I picked it up complete
With glue and paint pots included.

hawklord64

Post by hawklord64 »

You have unfortunately failed on the biggest challenge with the Airfix 24 Spitfire build; getting the dihedral correct The whole thing sags.
When I built mine, I had to shave quite a lot away from the wing root to get the correct angle, once the glue was applied, the model was sat between blocks with a weight on the top to keep the whole thing down until ity had dried…..at least 2 days. Always thought this was a pretty good model for its age, the surface detail was understated for its time, the beautiful Roy Cross artwork sold it for me, the contents were never going to live up to that, but trying to make those engine panels fit and look convincing was never going to work, so they eventually had to be glued in place.
Have another go, and look at some photos of the real thing…….sounds obvious, but its true.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

NIGHTFIGHTER wrote:Dear o Dear mate, I tell you what given the kit you had to work with that's one hell of a job you did. I really cant see how Airfix (who are not novices in model production) can get it so wrong! All those models I posted in my thread (winters work) are very old Monogram/Revell or Pro-modeler. Well thanks to your excellent thread we can see, that some things don't change, Airfix are useless at large scale models...Put this one down to experience, and to think i've got 2 to make..when I get round to them I willl let you know how they go.

NF,
You really have to watch what you are buying with Airfix and the comments there are a tad unfair. Thing is with these kits from older mouldings is New Airfix didnt have to spend a penny to develop them so im sure, used them to make money that is now seeing the rewards with the new toolings and the investment in technology used to develop them, eg Dornier 17 and He.111. 1/24th isnt my scale, but i am well aware of the age of this kit and the issues that surround it so i will always avoid, but i have seen some damn nice builds of it. On the flip side, i may just go out and buy a 1/24th Typhoon because of the reviews and builds i have seen.
An example is, you might have seen that ive built a few 1/72nd Airfix Spits, and from this i think you can consider 3 eras(at least) of Airfix. There is old Airfix where the well regarded, for accuracy, Mk.Ia, Vb and IX(JE-J boxing) come from. These moulds are now well past it but the Vb has been re-released in the last few years. Then there is transitional that gave us the accurate(i think) but disliked IXc, PRXIX and the one i really like, the MkI/Ia/IIa/(Va). Then when the new Mk.22 came out, i think this is where New Airfix started to come into their own which has now provided us with the ultimate 1/48th early Spitfires.
In summary, i think you have to consider that the current Airfix staff are comparative novices at this, but they really do look like they are learning from their mistakes.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Just as a heads up... Thankfully my kit is starting to work out alright. I'll post some shots when I get home from Abbotsford Airshow arrivals later today. Running late.... I must go.... :grin:

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Glad to hear it is going well for you fumbles.
Yep I made a pig ear of it mainly due to lack of skill rather than a bad model .
But it's is what it is an old tooling. ,I'm not bashing airfix in general as their other models have been my staple since I was a kid.
They make great kits and I will continue to buy them. I really want a go at the hawker tempest.

Sorry for hijacking your thread a bit fumbles I'm sure your skills will get the best from this kit.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Ok guys... I finally managed to get a couple shots done of where I am now with this build. I'm on the home stretch now... Going to spay the clear tonight so it'll be dry enough for decals over the labour day long weekend coming up. I should have this one done and the Mirage 2000N by next Monday so I can get started on some group builds. The green is a little buggered up at the moment. My air compressor blew a hole in the tank and I lost pressure. I have not been able to blend the green fully yet.

Fumbles

Re: Airfix 1/24 Spitfire sofar! updated 03/09/2015

Post by Fumbles »

And I am Done! All and all the kit for the time it came out would have been fantastic... Today if the moulds were adjusted just that 'little' bit... This kit could be amazing out of the box... As others have said. Be prepared for a lot of work to get it looking good. I bought this one for the challenge and because it was very cheap at my local hobby shop. Would I build another? Not a chance! :grin: Thanks for the replies and the looks.. Time to work on the 1/48 Mirage 2000N which is now at the decal stage.

I think I got the panels to fit rather well around the engine for easy removal and installed. Took a lot of warping and sanding with a few adjustments to the engine top.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Re: Airfix 1/24 Spitfire *Finished* Wohoo!

Post by WG655 »

What a lovely model - well done. :clap:

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

A great job fumbles which confirms it was skills I needed rather than a good kit.
I will try harder to finish my next large scale to something approaching this

Craig

Post by Craig »

Excellent! The finish is superb!