Academy 1/48th MiG-21bis - Angolan AF

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
Niallxg

Academy 1/48th MiG-21bis - Angolan AF

Post by Niallxg »

Hi

My third completed model - it should have been my fourth but the canopy on my Hobby-Boss F/A-18C was cracked so have to source a replacement to finish.

Based on Academy's MiG-21MF 1/48 scale. Since i didn't like the boxed decals - Polsh AF "Swordfish" and reviews on the net say it is more representative of a 21-bis, I decided on something a little different.

I picked up a set of decals of African MiG-21s from Berna Decals while over in Amsterdam a few months ago, and chose to finish the model as C340 of the Angolan Air Force which made a forced landing in Namibia in 1989.

Paints were from Tamiya - XF-57 Buff, XF-49 Olive Drab for the upper surfaces and a mix of XF-23 light Blue, XF-2 White and a small bit of X-14 Sky Blue for the underside (result may be a bit too blue). Then weathered with Mig Jimenez PLW Blue Black and Tamiya's weathering master sand and mud.

I went heavy with the weathering on the undersides, partly as I doubt they were kept that clean while in combat in Africa and partly to tone down the blue.

Two questions, how do people do chipping and if you lightly sprayed over decals with a heavily tinned paint would that work with reproducing faded markings? Didn't want to risk trying on this one, as I was quite pleased with how it turned out - even the canopy is clear :-)

Hope its of interest - comments and criticism welcomed.

Oh, here's the photos -

ImageMiG-21bis by NXG x, on Flickr

ImageDublin 15 11 by NXG x, on Flickr

ImageDublin 15 12 by NXG x, on Flickr

ImageDublin 15 13 by NXG x, on Flickr

ImageDublin 15 14 by NXG x, on Flickr

ImageDublin 15 15 by NXG x, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,

Niall.

County1884

Re: Academy 1/48th MiG-21bis - Angolan AF

Post by County1884 »

Great looking model, Nice to see an out of the ordinary scheme, weathering is just perfect :smile:

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

County1884 wrote:Great looking model, Nice to see an out of the ordinary scheme, weathering is just perfect :smile:

Thank you. Glad you liked it.

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Weathering is perfect , you can imagine it sitting on a pan in an African sun bleached airport.
Great build.

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

Irishaernut wrote:Weathering is perfect , you can imagine it sitting on a pan in an African sun bleached airport.
Great build.

Cheers, Steve.

The real C340 is actually on display in the SAAF museum.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 7689981124).jpg Hope I did it justice.