Airfix 1/72 Spitfire PRXIX

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
WG655
UKAR Staff

Airfix 1/72 Spitfire PRXIX

Post by WG655 »

A new-time modeller on here so please be nice!

I began this kit a long time ago (these initial build shots are from last July!) and finally finished it earlier this week. It didn't take me 12 months solid; it was just the odd hour now and again. Already got a new kit on the bench so hoping for a much quicker output rate over coming months! I'll shortly get my camera out to take some pictures of the finished aircraft properly but for now here are a few iPhone snaps of the aircraft coming together:

ImageUntitled by joemalkin, on Flickr

WG655
UKAR Staff

Re: Airfix 1/72 Spitfire PRXIX

Post by WG655 »

Here's the finished product - its the first model I've been proud of which I feel speaks volumes of my previous efforts! Hopefully things will start improving as I do more building.

Built completely OOB and hand-painted. Please excuse the absence of the camera windows underneath as they were far too much of a hassle to get at all right!

Image7E7T5895 by joemalkin, on Flickr

Image7E7T5894 by joemalkin, on Flickr

Image7E7T5891 by joemalkin, on Flickr

Image7E7T5892 by joemalkin, on Flickr

Image7E7T5893 by joemalkin, on Flickr

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Would certainly recommend it as a kit! Very well engraved panel lines and only minimal filler required during the build.

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

Nicely done!

If you like this one, you will love the 1/48 version, found that a gem. Made it for a client and I was absolutely gobsmacked by how well it went together, so I would recommend it when you get the chance.

Cheers,

Tom

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Always great to see a brand new modeller's first build.. We get to see the build quality slowly get better and better over time, for a first time builder... You did a fine job. The joints look very well sealed and closed. The paintwork by hand can be a little rough. It is a tricky art (Painting by hand brush) Derek here is a master at using the brush. I'm looking forward to seeing your work over time. If you have any questions.. Ask away as you know... we here always try and help out. Welcome to the modelling world. :up:

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Thanks guys - the support is very kind. :up: Fingers crossed its onwards and upwards from here!

Irishaernut

Post by Irishaernut »

Nice build , although I'm no expert , in fact I'm pretty new too. On trick do getting the lines nice with a two tone is use of masking tape , doesn't have to be fancy stuff just something to guide the brush.
And some spongey sanding sticks for sanding the joins.
Both of those helped me immensely

Steve