Die cast models

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
john001

Die cast models

Post by john001 »

I fancy a few models and simple do not have time to build them the way I may have done 30 years ago so am looking a die cast models. Now 30 years ago they were pretty basic but a few I saw at Shuttleworth the other day were excellent. I did not really have time (or my glasses) to examine them properly but there seems to be several makes available. Can anyone advise which are the best makes or series to look out for - 1/72 will do fine.
Thanks very much

PS I live overseas so will buy over the net so I won't be able to pop in a shop and 'feel the goods' for myself

Red Dragon

Re: Die cast models

Post by Red Dragon »

Hi John

I collect 1:72 scale Die cast, and I do admit I have my favourite makers. However there are certain perimeters to them. The first thing you have to work out is which type/ era do you want to collect? WW1, WW2, single/ twin/ three or four engined, Fast Jets, Airliners, Helicopters?

The main (best) brands to get are "Sky Guardians", "Witty Wings" (although Witty have gone bust it seems, plenty of stock available to buy though) and "Hobbymaster"
"Sky Guardians" - Mainly Tornado F3's, Hornet/ Super Hornet/ Growler (mainly Jets)
"Witty Wings" - Hornet/ Super Hornet/ Growler (only jets)
"Hobbymaster" - F-4's, F-16's, Spitfires (decent mix of types and jets/ warbirds)

About the only brand that i will confirm as being hit and miss is Corgi. I have a Tornado F3 (excellent) and a Buccaneer (only kept it due to it being RN marked up)

I would also advise you that usually in airshows you'll see the stalls (Aviation Retail Direct for one) at RIAT and Duxford, their prices will be usually £10 cheaper at the shows (just the awkwardness of carrying it around with you all day!) The only catch with the airshow stalls is that they do tend to have the 'rarer' aircraft/ paintjobs (Helldiver in French Navy markings etc). So in Airshows I tend to buy about £40 (Wonderland models tend to sell some for £20-£25. I have brought 2 Witty Wings Growlers from them that are wonderful) on-line they will be about £50 (depending on how popular they are/ well they sell). If you are thinking of buying the four engined bombers Lancaster or Valiant/ Victor/ Vulcan (or the SR-71) then you are looking at about £130-ish per airframe.

There is a forum for collecting them (I'm not a member) http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/

Hope this helps (PM me if you want any advice)

john001

Post by john001 »

Brilliant - thanks very much. Probably go for more of the older types and take a trolley to the next show I get to. Wish I had bought some at the Shuttleworth show there was a super DC3 and they did seem quite reasonable priced. Thanks again.

john001

Post by john001 »

Just looked up Wonderland and strangely it is the place I went to when I was in Edinburgh a month ago. Just bought one Spitfire in a sale as I could not carry much back. Thanks again

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Oxford do some pretty nice die cast models too.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Craig

Post by Craig »

I'be collected die cast to supplement my kitbuilds for some years. If you want perfection plastic is still the way to go. If you want an acceptable display model for little effort however die cast does just fine. My collection is nearly totally Corgi for military and Gemini 200 for civil with a few exceptions. My only advice would be select themes, stick to them and be picky. There'a some nice models out there but there''s some total dross too.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

john001 wrote:Brilliant - thanks very much. Probably go for more of the older types and take a trolley to the next show I get to. Wish I had bought some at the Shuttleworth show there was a super DC3 and they did seem quite reasonable priced. Thanks again.

Not a problem. There does seem now to be a resurgence in making some of the British aircraft of the 40's, 50's and 60's now as the Supermarine Swift and Gloster Javelin have been released so they do tend to select era's and spoil us! Oxford is another firm which on having seen the quality of their work I'd hapilly stump up the folding greenstuff as I have seen a pair of DH Hornets they had made, one in camo and one in silver, they were simply :drool:

Now happy hunting! also remember to have a look on e-bay occasionally as there are some bargains there as well.

john001

Post by john001 »

Thanks again all -like the sound of the DH Hornet.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Well to highlight how Die cast collecting goes, I went into the local shop today and someone has asked the shopowner to sell his Gemini Aces RAF Phantom FGR2 of 92 Sqn, for £35, I got home and looked online, and it was selling for £45!!

Here are examples of the DH Hornet...
Camo DH Hornet
http://images.norton.co.uk/images/products/zoom/1421265377-06738700.jpg

Silver DH Hornet
http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/72/images/72HOR001.jpg

Seeing them in the flesh makes them look even nicer!