Minimising transportation damage...

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
iaint
UKAR Staff

Minimising transportation damage...

Post by iaint »

Soon will be moving house and I have a number of models around the place needing 'packing' and moving. Question is, when it comes to transporting, what is the best way of transporting to ensure minimal damage...?

Any advice from those that have embarked on a move and taken their works of art with them?

My previous moves years ago have seen damage to some extent, want to see if I can manage to minimise that this time
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

iainpeden

Re: Minimising transportation damage...

Post by iainpeden »

Shredded paper is the key. My dad and I once moved 500 + models using strong cardboard boxes (lawn mower ones are good) with the models layered with paper. Now - at that point neither dad nor I made "works of art" but everything survived intact bar rhe odd lost wheel or pitot tube ; you have to be careful and patient unpacking.

Moving on, I took 80 1/72 Phantoms up to the SIG display at Telford in 2008. I used those big fruit boxes, a layer of shredded paper and the model laid on top. I managed about 6 to 7 per box.

I have now moved on to plastic lidded boxes, again layered with paper and models. Anything really delicate can be placed carefully in plastic bags so bits that fall off (and some will) can be retrieved.

How many are you moving?
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

I do many model shows during the year with the model club and have been for the last 30 at least. I have always used the polystyrene and cocktail stick method.
Just place the model on the polystyrene and stick 4 cocktail sticks (more if you think necessary) at the wing/fuselage joins and maybe each side of the tail. You can easily cut the tile to fit the box.
I source mine from a builders merchant. You can usually get a piece of 2ft X 8ft (1 inch thick) for about a tenner. Its used for cavity wall insulation and I think is called Jablite?
I have a 99% success rate depending on which British road system I'm on and how big the potholes are...... :wall:
Heres a couple of shots from a show I did at the weekend and haven't unpacked yet. This is one of my '2 storey' boxes hence the supports in the corners.

Good luck..

...Rad shutters auto.

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Thanks for the replies chaps!
Moved yesterday so didn't have a great deal of time to put together a fully comprehensive packing system...

I managed to transport them all in a pair of those stackable green Tesco grocery trays (the ones that online deliveries come in) on top of some bubble-wrapped glass shelves. No movement and all survived the journey in the car to the new house! :yahoo:

Unfortunately a chap from the removal company put a box on top of them and it fell in :facepalm: . I've not surveyed the full extent of the damage, but there has been some definite undercarriage and stores breakages on one of the two models :hide:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast