A Spitfire for a friend.

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
Daz

A Spitfire for a friend.

Post by Daz »

I built this model as part of a Memorial build over on Aeroscale for my dear friend Edgar Brooks. This model is one of many Mk.XVI's I have planned.

This is Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XVI SL721. And personal aircraft of AVM James Milne Robb, who was head of Fighter Command at the time. And who had the gun bays modified to stow luggage. The AVM specified the special Light Blue colour to make it more conspicuous. AVM Robb took delivery of SL721 in February, 1948, and used it to tour Fighter Command bases around the UK. SL721 was based at RAF Hendon and RAF Northolt until it was involved in a serious landing accident when SL721 was being flown by AVM John Boothman. While SL721 was being repaired, Robb was promoted to Commander-in- Chief, Airforces Europe and the three star rank pennant on the fuselage was upgraded to five stars. In 1951, when Robb was due to retire, he flew Spitfire SL721 one last time - to RAF Little Rissington, home of the Royal Air Force’s Central Flying School (and later, the Red Arrows). SL721 still currently flies in Canada. The model is the 1/48 Eduard kit of the Mk.XVI (my favorite marque of the breed).

The figure is a resin one I painted up last year. Its just there to add scale and interest.
Proud Grandson of an Avro Shackleton "boy"

keithjs

Re: A Spitfire for a friend.

Post by keithjs »

I'm sure Edgar would be very touched by your kind thoughts. Thank you.
...Rad shutters auto.

dazdaman

Post by dazdaman »

Very nice.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Lovely model, and I must say great photos too.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Craig

Post by Craig »

Lovely model and beautifully presented! Very nice!