WiP - 1/72 Airfix B-17G MOJO resurrecter!

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
ArabJazzie

WiP - 1/72 Airfix B-17G MOJO resurrecter!

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello all,
Sitting here feeling sorry for myself after, amongst other things, a bout of the manflu so looked around to see what can lift the fog a bit! But this one goes back just over a week when our shift Christmas fund payed out as the guys are going out tomorrow. Due to the impending arrival of granddaughter, i dipped out and needed the money for other things anyway, which was not models or the car! :whistle:

Well that day, i was driving home past the end of Main Street Invergowrie which the car seemed to want to drive down and into a space up from my chosen LMS. Having only bought one KP Spitfire Vb this year, maybe it was time to catch a Martlet, and maybe another small kit. Instantly noticed and picked up the Martlet, but 3 very big boxes were also looking at me and ganging up to say BUY ME!!! Well this is where the net and all the rivet counters had a go at my head and i soon walked out with this!

Im sure some are aware of apparent issues with the accuracy of both Shackeltons that are currently available, but these are for another time as i will still be having both of them. Fresh in my mind was a thread on Britmodeller that i read the evening before with a price that certainly didnt match what i payed!

So hopefully i will smash all these together over the coming weeks to bring together what looks like a cracker of a kit.

More sprue shots as they start to get used. This will be built OOB and the colour scheme will be decided later, but i think Alclad will be used, although that may not be accurate for the finish these fought in.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

ArabJazzie

Re: WiP - 1/72 Airfix B-17G MOJO resurrecter!

Post by ArabJazzie »

Well i didnt think i would get on as i did and seem to have, barring the interior painting, a collection of parts that look like a B-17 fuselage that just needs pushed together.

I started with Sprue F and G to bring the cockpit together.

Sprue D was also brought out and the bomb bay was added.

As some people regularly note that new Airfix stuff can be a bit tight in places, sprue A was relieved of the fuselage halves as bits got bigger. This was for 2 reasons as it served as a jig for all the bits to line up and so everything could be dry fitted. I then ended up with this.

Looks to be another winner from Airfix with only one small issue in a broken part so far.
Arabest,
Geoff.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Looks a great kit. Rather a lot in the stash to justify going back to to WW2 bombers but it looks tempting.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

All i can say Derek, the stash will still be there when you've finished one of these!

Actually managed to see what the outside world looks like again, and what it feels like, Brrrrrr! Wasnt that cold when i abandoned one of the cars last Sunday, i just had to get it parked back nearer to the flat! Sat down again and considered if i had the patience to get the interior done. A fair session with the fottie twittering away in the background saw this as the fruits of a couple of hours.

It was further tidied and fettled and the instructions gone through for the third time, it was time to fit the required windows and bring the fuselage halfs together and the new entry in the Airfix build bible reared its head. The bottom would come together, but the top wasnt interested and vice versa! Removed some paint from the bulkheads, we are talking a wee bit of misplace over brushing and eventually things came together!

Oh, and its sitting on the wing sprues. Thing is, i could have finished there, but i just had to push on just a wee bit further, then a wee bit more, and a wee bit more and.......

Sprue E made an appearance to supply some bits for the wings which eventually brought me to fitting the wings where i did stop!

Starting to notice some issues around the kit, some that will disappear after the primer stage, but for tomorrow, its filling some joints, but nothing that i ca say is 100% the fault of the kit!

Oh and the Martlet hit the table last night, only to be put back in the box today. Not that its a bad kit, its another Airfix new tool gem from a builders point of view! Filler and primer for that tomorrow as well!
Arabest,
Geoff.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Wohoo! on the mojo! But what a way to get back in... A good sized kit! :grin: Looking good sofar, should look rather nice once built.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Looks great! Airfix are doing some absolutely superb stuff of late shame not much in my modern (ish) RAF in 1:48 line. You 1:72ers are being spoiled though! :grin: Looking forward to seeing this continue to come together!

Greydrake

Post by Greydrake »

I remember doing a B17G years ago with my dad loves it treasured it it took weeks painting and detaining all the interior. Then my Childs hands clouded every window with glue!
Can't wait to see this one done :)

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello again,
Just looking at this in the hope i get a kick up the erch, but i think the kit may have hit the wall further on than this thread shows. Depending on what happens tomorrow, i will be seeing where i am and updating.
Arabest,
Geoff.