Victor kits XL231. W.I.P

Victor kits XL231. W.I.P

Postby ianf on Mon 23 Jan 2017, 11:39 pm

Hi it has been a long time since I posted any kit on here, as I lost my model mojo a few years back and tend to work in a larger scale these days namely 1-1! :grin: just under 2 years ago we were approached by Airfix asking to measure Andre aircraft with a view to a B2 version coming out. This of course happened just before Christmas and I was delighted with the look of the new kit. I had always intended to build a kit of Lindy and indeed I managed to get a Revell version and detail sets to improve it. With the knowledge Airfix was releasing I held fire. Now I've decided it is time to build both kits. I've done quite a lot of research on Lindy and found she has appeared in at least 7 different schemes or markings.

So I am going to build her in all schemes. First scheme will be a pure B2 as she was at Wittering in 1962. Which of course will be the Airfix kit and the Revell one will depict her as the development K2. So first the kits.

The after market bits.

Airfix kit

Revell kit.

I will add pics or the B2 version, but here is the development scheme. Pic is courtesy of Andre Tempest's archives it has my copyright on only as I remastered it.

I think I may be able to do a little cross kitting on the Revell kit, I'm not sure time will tell. My reference material comes from the lady herself.

This was taken Sunday (22-1-17) as I checked in to work on her. So I have zero excuse on lacking detail etc. If anyone is interested or building a Victor I can if you wish put some walk round shots that may be useful? Right I've committed myself to build ! keep me going on this please, as my stash needs to be whittled down!

Ian
Voluntary Tanker Trash XL231 Lusty Lindy Lancashire section.
our blog http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/
ianf

Re: Victor kits XL231. W.I.P

Postby Takamota on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 10:14 pm

Looking forward to seeing these progress bud... Good luck with the Revell kit. Built that a few times now and she's a bit of a chore!!
Http://www.tomsaviation.co.uk Updated 11th January 2016
Takamota

Postby FarnboroJohn on Wed 25 Jan 2017, 12:13 am

Takamota wrote:Built that a few times now and she's a bit of a chore!!

Don't tell him that.....

John
FarnboroJohn

Postby ianf on Wed 25 Jan 2017, 10:39 am

John it's no problem, I have built two in the past so are aware of its faults. Interestingly my first was just after the kit was released by Matchbox and the fit was actually very good, so much so I did not glue the wings so I could store/move it easily. Thanks for the comments keep them coming as I say my intentions are good but mojo is still low. It is actually a fairly accurate kit only out in the odd thing. The pods are crude as where the wheels. You will see I have after kit replacements. I am going to attempt using the Airfix slipper tanks. Hopefully I will have some build pics soon.

Ian
Voluntary Tanker Trash XL231 Lusty Lindy Lancashire section.
our blog http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/
ianf

Postby Fumbles on Sun 12 Mar 2017, 6:03 pm

Ohh a new Victor! I'll be keeping a watch on this thread... Just look at all those goodies!
Fumbles
UKAR Staff

Return to Aircraft Modelling