Victor kits XL231. W.I.P 3rd update

Victor kits XL231. W.I.P 3rd update

Postby ianf on Mon 23 Jan 2017, 11:39 pm

Hi it has been a long time since I posted any kit on here, as I lost my model mojo a few years back and tend to work in a larger scale these days namely 1-1! :grin: just under 2 years ago we were approached by Airfix asking to measure Andre aircraft with a view to a B2 version coming out. This of course happened just before Christmas and I was delighted with the look of the new kit. I had always intended to build a kit of Lindy and indeed I managed to get a Revell version and detail sets to improve it. With the knowledge Airfix was releasing I held fire. Now I've decided it is time to build both kits. I've done quite a lot of research on Lindy and found she has appeared in at least 7 different schemes or markings.

So I am going to build her in all schemes. First scheme will be a pure B2 as she was at Wittering in 1962. Which of course will be the Airfix kit and the Revell one will depict her as the development K2. So first the kits.

The after market bits.

Airfix kit

Revell kit.

I will add pics or the B2 version, but here is the development scheme. Pic is courtesy of Andre Tempest's archives it has my copyright on only as I remastered it.

I think I may be able to do a little cross kitting on the Revell kit, I'm not sure time will tell. My reference material comes from the lady herself.

This was taken Sunday (22-1-17) as I checked in to work on her. So I have zero excuse on lacking detail etc. If anyone is interested or building a Victor I can if you wish put some walk round shots that may be useful? Right I've committed myself to build ! keep me going on this please, as my stash needs to be whittled down!

Ian
Last edited by ianf on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks
ianf

Re: Victor kits XL231. W.I.P

Postby Takamota on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 10:14 pm

Looking forward to seeing these progress bud... Good luck with the Revell kit. Built that a few times now and she's a bit of a chore!!
Http://www.tomsaviation.co.uk Updated 11th January 2016
Takamota

Postby FarnboroJohn on Wed 25 Jan 2017, 12:13 am

Takamota wrote:Built that a few times now and she's a bit of a chore!!

Don't tell him that.....

John
FarnboroJohn

Postby ianf on Wed 25 Jan 2017, 10:39 am

John it's no problem, I have built two in the past so are aware of its faults. Interestingly my first was just after the kit was released by Matchbox and the fit was actually very good, so much so I did not glue the wings so I could store/move it easily. Thanks for the comments keep them coming as I say my intentions are good but mojo is still low. It is actually a fairly accurate kit only out in the odd thing. The pods are crude as where the wheels. You will see I have after kit replacements. I am going to attempt using the Airfix slipper tanks. Hopefully I will have some build pics soon.

Ian
ianf

Postby Fumbles on Sun 12 Mar 2017, 6:03 pm

Ohh a new Victor! I'll be keeping a watch on this thread... Just look at all those goodies!
Fumbles

Re: Victor kits XL231. W.I.P 1st update

Postby ianf on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 11:53 am

Well almost a year on and my first update! :shock: Last year was a busy one on the jet which meant I didn't get to look at the kits. Then before Christmas I built the Airfix Buccaneer in the museums marking on the newly restored XN974. This got my mojo back so I got going on the Victors. Also as Airfix have announced this Tuesday their second Victor release, you can now see why I haven't gone for the current scheme as we were told our lady would be next :yahoo:

The Bucc and lindy tail plane, showing how big it is compared to the Buccs wing.

One thing the delay did was allow me to sort my research on the B2 cockpit and decide the Revell one was going to minimally changed as I am shutting the door on that one.

The only thing I added to the cockpit was the rear table and used the airfix decal sheet instrument panel, which you will see is smaller than the revell cockpit.

I've used the eduards detail sheet for the B2 only things they got wrong was they added panels for the controls on the right as you look at the rear table as you can see I have removed those controls. Because those controls are the refuelling controls, hence not applicable.

Airfix have done a nice job of the undercarriage.

The revell outer wings and fin.

Airfix's main wing.

Revells inner wing is being heavily modified with the intakes replace with resin.

Having dry fit wing to intake they fit okish but when I try to do so to fuselage they don't, so this is going to be tricky, I think I have sussed a way of doing it. I think with other items pre painted progress, should now accelerate. We have an even bigger year on Lindy this year, so I have to press on with this now. Happily I do have the appetite to do this. Oh and the Revell kit has been nick named the frankenvictor as the amount of work need on it will be huge.

Hopefully I will not take another year to update!
ianf

Re: Victor kits XL231. W.I.P 1st update

Postby ianf on Sun 21 Jan 2018, 4:50 pm

Good progress this week on both kits.

Part H56 as shown below is the tail wheel of the Victor and the lamps for the HDU. As the kit is a B2 the two outer lights should be removed.

A general view of whats built, I am modelling the bomb bay open, fortunately Airfix do supply the doors and the mechanisms for their opening plus the bomb petals in the open position. It isn't in the instructions but easily used.

I have both fuselages now largely complete.

This shot shows the major differences. the Revell tail is to wide in cross section and the fuselage is longer than the Airfix one. The Air brakes on the Revell are a poor fit and the fins needed re shaping.

Over all the shapes of each part is refined much more on the Airfix kit which is to be expected with about 35 years difference in manufacture. The moulds are showing signs of wear also. After looking at the nose bay on the Revell I will add side walls to improve the appearance. Below is the Airfix and Revell tails, plus the Airfix underwing tanks which are replacing the Revell ones.

The wing has progressed.

Now fitted to the fuselage.

hopefully more progress soon.
ianf

Re: Victor kits XL231. W.I.P 2nd update

Postby Fumbles on Sat 03 Feb 2018, 10:51 pm

What a update! The detail on the cockpit is very well done. I'll gladly wait for another update like this one. :up:
Fumbles

Re: Victor kits XL231. W.I.P 2nd update

Postby ianf on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 9:06 pm

Thanks for the reply Rod. I finally seem to have my mojo back. Work is steady, I think I have got over the big log jam namely the inner wing of the Revell kit.

You can see why I call it Frankenvictor. It now has resin and etch brass air intakes a white metal nose probe and resin RATs

I've also boxed in the forward nose wheel bay.

The Airfix kit is now being cleaned up prior to washing then masking for paint.

I need more and more room to photograph them together.

I've also painted the resin wheels for the Revell kit.

Because I am making the B2 in it's purest form, the Revell kit will benefit from the refinement over its refuelling probe.

Hopefully the next update will see both at the paint stage.
ianf

Re: Victor kits XL231. W.I.P 3rd update

Postby Craig on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 11:19 pm

Outstanding. These are both looking the business. The standard problem with the Matchbox/Revell is the canopy glazing, hopefully it don't cause you too many problems. You've certainly been more than a match for everything so far!
Craig
UKAR Staff

Re: Victor kits XL231. W.I.P 3rd update

Postby ianf on Mon 12 Feb 2018, 10:39 am

Thanks Craig for reminding me of the delights of the canopy I had forgotten! :sad: lol The difference in standards are huge. That said I have picked up on a few snags on the Airfix one, for example if you fit the flaps up, which is the normal configuration on the ground the instructions say you cut off the outer flap track rail fairing, you don't you trim it flush horizontally. I've since added the outer wings to the Revell kit and compared them. There is correctly a half inch difference in span. The B2 being 120ft and the K2 being 117ft another Tip for anyone building a K2 both ailerons are set 5 degrees up when in neutral position or 3 inches. this is to aid wing flex and cut fatigue. The B2 is neutral to the wing. Hopefully this week I will bring both to the paint stage, most of the work now is on the Revell kit.
ianf

Return to Aircraft Modelling