Advice on resin please

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
RRconway

Advice on resin please

Post by RRconway »

Hello UKAR modellers,

There are often dioramas on here that have water made from resin so:

Not aviation related, but school project related, because as most parents know there is definitely one upmanship in school projects models :lol:

My 8 yo sons project this year is volcanoes.
We have a paper mache volcanoes which I want to light from inside and have a pool of lava at the top, and streams of lava running down the channels on the side.

My, sorry our, idea is to mix clear resin with red food colouring and pour that down the channels on the outside, over slits I will cut in the surface to allow the light inside to shine through the red resin.

I have been online and am quite frankly confused with all the choice.
The sides of the volcano are quite steep, certainly more than 45 degrees so will probably have to pour a side at a time so that it is horizontalish and doesn't just flow off the bottom.

Does this sound do-able or is there a low viscosity fast drying type of resin I could use?
It needs to stay translucent to allow the light through as well.

All advice gratefully received,

Jeff.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

Timc

Re: Advice on resin please

Post by Timc »

Played about with resin many years ago and found it quite messy, although that could have just been me!

As a cheap alternative you could try melting down orange/red candle wax in an old pan under a low heat then experimenting with that, should be reasonably translucent in thin làyers I would have thought? :smile:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

The eventual position and slope on the volcano doesn't matter: pour one side at a time having tilted the diorama to lessen the slope to what you can manage. Practice on scrap first.

John

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Use baking powder, vinegar and food colouring and you will get a chemical reaction which will produce "lava" running down the model.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)