Panel Wash questions

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
binbrook87

Panel Wash questions

Post by binbrook87 »

I'm having a bash at my first panel wash. I'm an acrylic brush painter, so I've glossed the model with Humbrol Clear Cote then used a chalk based pastel mixed with water and drop of washing up liquid for the wash. This goes on easy enough, and the excess wipes off fine and the result looks great.....BUT because I'm brush painting the final matt varnish coat it pulls most of the wash out of the panel lines! :sad:

Is there any other way of making the wash stay in place? I presume a sprayed final coat of varnish wouldn't do this but i like to keep to brush painting. Or do i use a different type of wash that won't react with the acrylic matt varnish?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by binbrook87 on Wed 24 May 2017, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig

Re: Panel Wash questions

Post by Craig »

You'll always have this problem to some extent. I'd have to say that applying your final coat with a rattle can would undoubtedly be your best solution.

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

Just to share my experience recently.

I have switched the way I do things and I think the effect is quiet good.

I have finished the model off (clear varnish, decals, seal) then I have added a matt coat, let dry and then applied the wash... Using the Mig-Ammo range of washes, a light pin wash was dropped into the recesses, left 30 odd mins then wiped back and blended in with white spirt. I do have to say I has worked very well..

Image1/32 Scale Tamiya F-15C Eagle - 493rd FS - RAF Lakenheath by James Vaitkevicius, on Flickr

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 »

Thanks for the replies fellas :up:
James... thats a great finish there, do you use acrylic or enamel matt coat before adding the oil/enamel wash?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I never got on with the chalk wash method - personally, I used to use artists gouache and don't recall having any problems brushing on a varnish once it had dried. Some people like to use artists oil paints too. Could be worth experimenting?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

binbrook87 wrote:Thanks for the replies fellas :up:
James... thats a great finish there, do you use acrylic or enamel matt coat before adding the oil/enamel wash?

I used Gunze H20 over MRP paints in this instance. Basically it's the gunze matt varnish though I think Tamiya is. It too far off the mark.
I do recommend the mig anmo panel line washes though. Very good stuff.

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 »

Thanks guys....all very helpful :up:

globemaster50

Post by globemaster50 »

I'm one of those that likes to use artists oil paints for my panel lines. Seems to work ok for me and looks realistic enough!

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 »

globemaster50 wrote:I'm one of those that likes to use artists oil paints for my panel lines. Seems to work ok for me and looks realistic enough!

I've picked some oil paint up today together with some humbrol wash so I'll give both a try. Thanks for the advice :smile: